Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 04:21:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: New Board Jump Start  (Read 7695 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:48:32 PM »

Hi Phil

I am not sure what this message is all about, but I REALLY wonder if you want a board without a login.  That seems like asking for trouble.  It is also an issue on the old board. 

I see nothing wrong with letting folks read all they want, but I STRONGLY recommend that the poster must have a profile.

I belong to several boards where they set it up to require a profile and they don't activate that profile automatically.  Further they screen that new profile for several posts to make sure that it is legit.

I suspect you have some reason for this approach, but I don't think anyone would object to having to set up a basic profile in order to post.  Lots of boards require that - indeed, most that I belong to.

If you think about all the negative posts on the old board, many were the result of a poster who could remain anonymous  and pester the good posters.

PS What happened to the spell check option?

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 01:00:58 PM »

First post.  Hope this new board works out okay.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »

Let The New Board Roll!!
BUT, DON'T GET IN THE WAY!I LIKE THIS NEW TOY Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:44:33 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »

Well, actually, it started out as a test of the "sticky" function, but then I thought, there have been (very) frequently asked questions, so let's test that thread with "sticky"..  All responses in this thread were to address the things I am most frequently asked.

Why guest postings?  There is a reason, yes.  There is a very large # of regular posters whom I hear from that wish to keep the guest posting capability alive.  We may not be able to achieve a consensus on this issue, or it may take care of itself if spammers get through, or maybe some additional comprimise is available?  Anyone on the other side of the anonymous postings care to chime in? I'm always open for ideas and discussion.  I really enjoy the current board community and don't want to lose that.  But I hear what you are saying and do recognize that as a risk of the current approach. 

Spell check -  Angry     I just used on an earlier post today.  Now it's gone.  sigh.  I'll check into that. 

Please keep the suggestions, concerns and comments flowing.  I do appreciate it.

Best Regards, Phil

Hi Phil

I am not sure what this message is all about, but I REALLY wonder if you want a board without a login.  That seems like asking for trouble.  It is also an issue on the old board. 

I see nothing wrong with letting folks read all they want, but I STRONGLY recommend that the poster must have a profile.

I belong to several boards where they set it up to require a profile and they don't activate that profile automatically.  Further they screen that new profile for several posts to make sure that it is legit.

I suspect you have some reason for this approach, but I don't think anyone would object to having to set up a basic profile in order to post.  Lots of boards require that - indeed, most that I belong to.

If you think about all the negative posts on the old board, many were the result of a poster who could remain anonymous  and pester the good posters.

PS What happened to the spell check option?

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »

Aha - sticky feature.  Always stays at the top.  I s'ppose I could have guessed that tho'.  Just testing. 

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:51:18 PM »

Phil,

Jim has a good point. I think you will keep our regular viewers however, you won't be able to please everyone! I strongly belive you must have a profile to post any messages. That is most likely the reason for the new board anyway. Like spammers, and noname comments that are usually badmouthing someone.
Keep with the new format and you will see that our members WILL get used to it. Some faster and some slower.  But, Have faith in the MAK community, It's stronger than you may think!! Wink

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
bruceknee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 03:46:23 AM »

Great job Grin

Thank You
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:31:35 AM »

I'm familiar with this board software, it's used on several other, non-bus related bbs's I visit.  Once folk get used to it, it will be fine, but there is a learning curve - just like converting our buses!

RJL

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:16:48 AM »

The board looks great but will take getting used to. For some reason I cannot find the new post button.   Huh  What is it supposed to look like. I tried the Help button but that didn't help.  Cheesy
Thanks for the new board.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Timnvt

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »

Phil, thanks for working on this.

I've got a suggestion though.  Could you identify at the bottom of the page that the "Previous" "Next" buttons are for the next topic? I thought it was to the next page of the post as on simular boards and ended up posting under the wrong topic.

Am I missing the spell check button or is it not yet working?

Thanks again for your efforts,

Tim

Ah, checking out the "modify" button!!! If only I could edit what I've said to my wife...  Oh, and I like that little button to the right of the last posters name which brings to/me to... the last message of the topic!  I like that.  Still think the buttons at the bottom right of the page as mentioned above could be more clearly identified as to where they are taking you.  (and spell check)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 03:35:03 PM by Timnvt » Logged

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »

...  If only I could edit what I've said to my wife... 

If only I could edit what my wife said to me!   Shocked

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
mak

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »

OK, lets start checking this out.... I see lots of icons... seems like I have a lot of options... I just want to write a note, let try posting.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

Phil,

Great start -- keep up the good work.

BTW, I like your avatar -- you must be the big wheel around here   Cool

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 11:21:10 PM »

Hey Mike,

Welcome to your board.   Grin

Best Regards, Phil 

OK, lets start checking this out.... I see lots of icons... seems like I have a lot of options... I just want to write a note, let try posting.

Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 04:05:41 AM »

Very nice job Phil. I agree with most of the others that feel a login should be required. I tried a board like this and it was hacked apart in a week on my site. Vicious people out there and we pay the price by signing up and registering. And like someone said, monitor their posts for a little bit. (I guess part of the "Newbie" thing.)

Very nice job though, wish you a lot of luck.

Dave Siegel
(Oh yeah........I did register, too)   Grin

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: