Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:44:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: New Board Jump Start  (Read 8410 times)
alkco1-rts

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2006, 09:49:42 AM »

Thanks MAK for the change. I have explored a little on the board and I like what I see. Keep up the good work

Leroy
El-Sonador

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2006, 06:03:29 AM »

Phil... Hi

Nice to see the new board.

Loogging In should be a pre-requesit to posting and even to view postings on most if not all topics and post.
Members fequently give out locations, their phone numbers and even email address at times within their post. It dosen't take long for a savy spammer to figure out things and could seriously compromise your members and the board. [like the old one] Your members need to be protected.

I have a lot of experience running these types of PHP based boards and a humble suggestion would be to allow GUEST to view ONLY your own Welcome Message about what the board is for, Instructions on the use of the Board, any rules you wish to have and instructions on the registration process.

Unfortunately, you have to treat a guest as a "possible" threat because one of them could be. A guest should NOT have access to any member profiles, topics or postings [outside of your own Welcome Message and Instructions]. Registration should be handled by a system return email verification letter also. This will stop any intruder from using a phony email address to register which would allow the possibility of a spammer to become a member sitting in the wings, so to speak, gathering up information on your members.

Suspicious Members can be monitored by the Administrator or Moderator using the Admin Control Panel. A powerful tool to use is the logging of their IP address. If you need to Ban a fake member/Spammer, you can use their IP address, so if they try and re-register with another name and another fake email address, you will now know it is the same spammer by their unique IP address.

I realize that some of your previous members like to post as a guest but it may be a loop-hole you can't afford. Any member, can register using a handle, so anonymity is there for those that wish that level of privacy anyways.

Allowing things like posting a FLASH or other types of scripts, can also contain a virus, add-ware or spyware codes inside their flash postings in some cases. You may want to limit all that kind of functionality also.

You know my situation, broke down on the side of the road, problems coming from all directions, yet it was no problem for me to take that extra minute to register first to get assistance from your members. So if I can do it, under those trying times, others should not have a major objection, for the well being of the entire board community.

One of the major roles of the Board Admin and Moderator running a board is the protection of its members and their personal information.

IMO

Steve
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2006, 06:09:22 AM »

Phil... Hi

Loogging In should be a pre-requesit to posting and even to view postings on most if not all topics and post.
Members fequently give out locations, their phone numbers and even email address at times within their post. It dosen't take long for a savy spammer to figure out things and could seriously compromise your members and the board. [like the old one] Your members need to be protected.

I have a lot of experience running these types of PHP based boards and a humble suggestion would be to allow GUEST to view ONLY your own Welcome Message about what the board is for, Instructions on the use of the Board, any rules you wish to have and instructions on the registration process.

Unfortunately, you have to treat a guest as a "possible" threat because one of them could be. A guest should NOT have access to any member profiles, topics or postings [outside of your own Welcome Message and Instructions]. Registration should be handled by a system return email verification letter also. This will stop any intruder from using a phony email address to register which would allow the possibility of a spammer to become a member sitting in the wings, so to speak, gathering up information on your members.

Suspicious Members can be monitored by the Administrator or Moderator using the Admin Control Panel. A powerful tool to use is the logging of their IP address. If you need to Ban a fake member/Spammer, you can use their IP address, so if they try and re-register with another name and another fake email address, you will now know it is the same spammer by their unique IP address.

I realize that some of your previous members like to post as a guest but it may be a loop-hole you can't afford. Any member, can register using a handle, so anonymity is there for those that wish that level of privacy anyways.

Allowing things like posting a FLASH or other types of scripts, can also contain a virus, add-ware or spyware codes inside their flash postings in some cases. You may want to limit all that kind of functionality also.

You know my situation, broke down on the side of the road, problems coming from all directions, yet it was no problem for me to take that extra minute to register first to get assistance from your members. So if I can do it, under those trying times, others should not have a major objection, for the well being of the entire board community.

One of the major roles of the Board Admin and Moderator running a board is the protection of its members and their personal information.

IMO

Steve

Phil, I have to agree with the above post. To my knowledge there is only one frequent poster that is vehemently opposed to registering and my personal feelings is that we could do without him. LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2006, 06:14:25 AM »

Phil... Hi

IMO

Steve

Phil, I have to agree with the above post. To my knowledge there is only one frequent poster that is vehemently opposed to registering and my personal feelings is that we could do without him. LOL
Richard

Thanks for the input - and I probably didn't communicate this properly before, but there is no guest posting allowed.  That was discontinued a few days back - I put that change in the first message in this topic.  Also, while there is a flash button, flash insertion  is not allowed.  Don't know how to get rid of the button yet -  Huh  But again, I did find the setting in the board management to disallow flash.  Small steps.   Smiley

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »

Post error When I post. Why?
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2006, 07:26:27 PM »

Ericbsc,

Give me more info, what were you posting in?  What exactly did the error say?

Nick Badame-

sorry for your inconvience!

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »

It only gives me the error when I attach a photo. Without one I can post and it shows up.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2006, 07:37:06 PM »

Ericbsc,

Sometimes that happens when your photo is too large. Did you notice that message about your photo?

If so you can go to our help section under, Resizing Photos.

Let me know!

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »

Hello Eric,

I also e-mailed you instructions!

Let me know!

Nick-

cjm

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »

How about reducing the size of the three banners at the top so those with 600x800 screens don't have to scroll to see the messages?  TIA, John
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2006, 07:55:06 PM »

John,

Welcome To the board!

Good Point.  I belive Phil and MAK have discussed that allready and it's in the works.

I'll keep you posted.

Nick Badame-

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2006, 01:16:26 PM »

How about reducing the size of the three banners at the top so those with 600x800 screens don't have to scroll to see the messages?  TIA, John

Thanks for the feedback John.  It's always a balancing act between making the ads too small for the 1280x1024 and above screens, and the 800x600 screens.   I'll pass along the info tho' on the issues with the 800x600 and try to do some additional testing to make sure it doesn't get too cumbersome!!!  We are definetly working on some new ads and ad structure.  Nick as absolutely correct on that.

There is an up/down arrow at the top of the page, directly under the "MAK Publishing Bulletin Board" header.  Clicking on that may also buy you a couple more inches as well.

Welcome aboard.   Smiley

Phil

cjm

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »

Thanks, Phil & Nick.  The arrow doesn't affect the width; it just expands/contracts the information displayed in the header.  The header's width appears to be the correct width for 800x600 but the banners extend past it.  John
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2006, 06:04:45 PM »

Thanks, Phil & Nick. The arrow doesn't affect the width; it just expands/contracts the information displayed in the header. The header's width appears to be the correct width for 800x600 but the banners extend past it. John

I have to turn my favorites off to get a full screen without anything cut off.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »

Thanks, Phil & Nick.  The arrow doesn't affect the width; it just expands/contracts the information displayed in the header.  The header's width appears to be the correct width for 800x600 but the banners extend past it.  John

Thanks John,

So, it is the width that is the problem? 

Kind Regards, Phil

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: