Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:25:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dust and wainscoating  (Read 1500 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »

My travels take me across a dusty dry lake bed every year.  The whole bus fills with a very fine dust just driving across it.

Am I going to regret installing oak wainscoating on the walls?  I was thinking this evening that maybe this isn't the best idea with all the dust.  I long ago gave up on carpeting the floor or using ozite on the walls or ceilings due to the dust?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »

Maybe this could be as simple as putting plasitc over the wainscoating for a few days.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:44:51 AM »

That would be a lot of plastic and would sorta defeat the purpose of the wainscoating.  We don't just drive across the dry lake bed we also stay out there for four days. 

I just went to Menards last night to pick up the wainscoating for part of the bus.  After I got home I realized it might be nearly impossible to get the dust out of the details of the wainscoating.  Something smooth and flat might be a better idea to cover the walls, but I am not sure what exactly.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:19:48 AM »

a good duster will work fine.....better yet, camp in the forest.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:35:55 AM »

We have pine wainscoting in our coach. After installing apply several coats of polyurethane finish to seal the surface of the oak. We purchased a small wall mounted vacum at Lowes that has a brush attachment (among other attachments) and a 20' hose. We use the brush attachment to clean our wainscoting.  So far it has worked great, and we really like the wainscoting.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:37 AM »

I'm assuming that the lake bed is a place to go out to launch lol, sorry, that was bad even for me lol.  A couple of good coats of poly would seal it after staining and I'm thinking a vacuum now and then would keep it looking good, the reason for going thru there is something to do with the rocketing?  lol jack and i posted at the same time lol.
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:39:14 AM »

Jack has the answer. If you seal the grooves well, it won't add any additional work- you'll have to vacuum everything anyway.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:31:48 AM »

Yes, we camp out in the desert to launch rockets.  No choice to camp in a forest.

The dust is like talcum powder.  Hopefully a vacuum could get rid of it.  My plan is to apply the stain and poly before installing the wainscoating in the bus.

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

Many years ago when I raced cars I transported the car in an enclosed trailer. In order to reduce the dust I built a scoop on the front of the trailer and put a simple furnace filter in the scoop. This had the effect of pressurizing the inside of the trailer with clean, dust free air so dust couldn't get in .This, of course, would only be effective when moving.

Fred Mc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: