Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 11:44:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED Advice: Should I buy this bus??  (Read 4408 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »

Other buses have generators you can use while driving?  Why not just use the power created from the engine/alternator?

Alternator produces DC power at 12 or 24 volt (depending on the make & model of bus). The generator produces 120 volt AC power. You can produce AC power from the alternator by using an inverter, up to the maximum output of the inverter.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »

The bus looks wonderful in your pictures.  You will have a great time in it.

From a buyers point of view the price of repairs are the biggest risk.  As pointed out the tires are shot.  My bus also needed tires and $465 out the door, was the cheapest price I could find for name brand, Bridgestone in my case, tires in SD.   

If the bus has sat for 5 years they, or at least the wife, really wants it gone.  If the current owners are set on high prices of $5,000 or more have them shoe it with your favorite tire, add fresh liquids and new filters.

I have used my bus more than I imagined and I have enjoyed it in ways I couldn't understand until I started using it.  I'm sure you will too.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »

Buy it. Enjoy it. No matter what yu buy you will have to spend money on it, It looks like a decent bus. For the price I think you will be alright. I paid 5k for my first bus anf it was a shell. Worse case if you don't like it part it out and sell the rest for scrap. You would probally get most of the 5k back. You will love your bus no matter the expense.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
scuba44

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »

I'm loving all the great advice I'm getting here!  Thanks to everyone who has commented so far.

TomC - I went back today and got a few pics of the shifter (I think).  See below.  Hopefully I can learn more about it from these.

also...I'm assuming the gauges to the left of the instrument panel show the air pressure of the airbags that are used for the suspension?

scuba44

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

JackConrad - Sorry for not being clear, yes, that is what I meant about using the alternator for power (with the inverter).  What I was asking about was using/running the generator (the little Honda mounted in the back of the bus near the engine) while driving the bus as was mentioned earlier by another poster in this thread.  Can this be done?....I don't think so.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

Depends on whether you can get enough air to circulate around it to prevent it from overheating. Doubtful, since the air circulating around it will probably be 120-150 degrees.  
   The photo of the"gear shift" looks more like a turn signal switch. This bus probably has a transmission that is shifted by an electic toggle switch located in the switch panel on the left side of the driver.  Jack
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:11:08 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »

I'm assuming the gauges to the left of the instrument panel show the air pressure of the airbags that are used for the suspension?

They are part of a leveling system that was added to level the bus when camping.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »

A while back I got blasted for saying a GM shell with some conversion parts was worth little more than scrap (I still stand behind that BTW and am waiting for that seller to prove me wrong). Now here is a good example of why that is true. Anyone can buy a shell and fill it full of parts, but to put it all together and make it look good is the hard part.  Here is a bus that appears to be "done" requiring only some TLC to start using and enjoying it. Why would anyone buy a half-baked project when deals like this turn up. I don't know how great a deal because I don't know that much about transits, and I do believe that an equivant intercity bus conversion will bring more. But that is a lot of hard work completed for 5k.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »

A 6V71 will let you enjoy the scenery but don't let that stop you. Slow and steady will win the race. When I travel I go 55 and enjoy it. I am amazed how many times I get passes by the same vehicles who are traveling a lot faster. If you do need more a 6V92 is a sweet upgrade if you can keep it cool. Does anyone know if it will fit? My inclinations is it will with only a few mods. Would it be worth it in a transit? No, probably not.

johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »

I agree barn owl, a lot of hard work for 5K. I would go for it.

John
josephgranzier
4106 fan

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2010, 07:41:04 AM »

Of course BARN OWL is correct- "thats a lot of work in that unit for $5k- enjoy it.
Loved your line about - ''seller can prove your wrong'' , the market just isn't there. I don't believe it has been for a couple of years.

some other wise 'ol sage offered awhile back ( and I think of it every time I see a 4104 ,06 being offered for sale with a price north of $25k)

" Some things are priced to sell , others are priced to keep" Undecided
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »

My first impression, for what it's worth, it that the bus has possibilities, i.e. looks pretty good at first glance.  Best advice I got while kicking tires was to look at a lot of buses.  If there are no other buses around for you to compare it to, my advice would be to at least give your enthusiasm a little time to calm down and make a carefully considered decision.  You don't sell one of these "metal monsters" overnight.  By the same token, that means that the seller probably doesn't have anyone else chomping at the bit to buy it out from under you.  I agree with the opinions of the other posters here.  Lots of hard (and expensive) work done considering the price.  If it looks as good in person as it does in the pics (they often don't), I'm pretty impressed.  The best advice I saw posted was to have an experienced busnut take a look.  Good luck!  I love having a bus!!
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: