Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE 3/13/10: Shepherd Engine Saga - Epilogue  (Read 7368 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »

Jim,
 Glad to hear you got it fixed.  I think I will just stay with my MUI engine.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »

Update 2/28/10  OK folks, I just took the bus on another drive and it seems that all is well.  Pat did not go with me,  ...............   

Well - - there's the problem right there.  Its a well known fact that wimmen shouldn't be around any machinery more complicated than a sewing machine or a vacuum cleaner.

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it Jim.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »

Hmmmmm - what did I tell ya !!!!!

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »

Lesson learned here a DDEC will control the boost pressure and a bad wiring harness will make a Eaton flash

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »

Lesson learned here a DDEC will control the boost pressure and a bad wiring harness will make a Eaton flash

You forgot the part about lost hair Grin

I can tell you for sure that if I had had hair before this whole episode, I would have lost it.

As I said in a previous post, in some perverse way, this whole trouble shooting process was somewhat "enjoyable" to this crazy engineer.  It is terrible to be a bus nut and a crazy engineer all in one package.

Thanks again so much for all the great input.  I know I learned a ton from you folks.  I sort of know my DDEC a bit better than I did a few months ago Shocked

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

Great news Jim Smiley, now what you need is a refreshing drive, like down to the rally in Texas Wink. felt so bad for you as you did for me, now every body is happy. Whew! I think I need a trip to Disney or something like that Undecided. Didn't someone say we'd have a good laugh when this was all over Grin Grin, I think I'll have a good cry first Grin Good work Jim as always Smiley

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:13 AM »

Great news Jim Smiley, now what you need is a refreshing drive, like down to the rally in Texas Wink. felt so bad for you as you did for me, now every body is happy. Whew! I think I need a trip to Disney or something like that Undecided. Didn't someone say we'd have a good laugh when this was all over Grin Grin, I think I'll have a good cry first Grin Good work Jim as always Smiley
    Van

Just drive on over to Franklin, TX you'll think you have been to Disney! (after meeting Goofy, Pluto, Mickey and the other busnuts that'll be there! Wink
Grin   BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »

Good News Jim! Now go for a long drive and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I'm Sneezy by the way! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:17 AM »

Wow Jim, what a good feeling to have that over with! What a pain, but what a sucess! Congratulations.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 05:56:55 AM »

Well, so much for the theory that the electronics will tell you what is wrong or "where it hurts".  Shocked

There is no substitute for understanding the whole system & old fashioned troubleshooting.  Cool
Even better when you have friends that will help troubleshoot.
As good as the electronic stuff is, there is something to be said for using old fashioned mechanical gauges to verify the electronic.

Now, does this mean you won't need heat in your shop? Since you'll be driving instead of working on it . . .  Roll Eyes  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 06:24:42 AM »

It is kinda hard for the ECM to know that a different sensor is being used than the one the ECM is programmed to work with.  If the sensor was faulty the ECM would probably know that and report it.

Electronics are both a blessing and a curse.  Electronics can make for far cleaner emissions and somewhat better fuel economy, but mechanics use them as a crutch instead of doing real troubleshooting.  The first thing any mechanic will do these days is hook up their scanner.  A lazy mechanic won't investigate further if the scanner shows no faults.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 06:52:31 AM »

That was my point, electronics are only a part of the system - NOT the absolute answer. Seems most people think the scanner does all the troubleshooting work & tells exactly what needs to be replaced - that ain't so.

There are fewer & fewer mechanics out there today - they have been replaced by scanner readers who think replacing the sensor that flashed the code will solve the problem.  Sad

When you consider the reliability of the newer stuff combined with the disposeable goods mentality, then add in the wal-mart pricing minded customers complaining about how much the mechanic charges . . . .

Doesn't seem to be much demand for really good & experienced mechanics.  Sad  Cry

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 07:36:29 AM »

I am not sure it is fair to lay all of the blame on electronics here.  Recall that I was doing a "mix and match" here.  I put my original DDEC IV ECM (albeit programmed to operate on a DDEC III engine) on the replacement DDEC IV engine.  So, I really am to blame for the problem.

The reading I had done suggested that ECMs of the same vintage are interchangeable.  Obviously not true.  In hind sight, my move was ill-advised.  However, my thought process seemed reasonable at the time.  

Recall that the AutoShift has to talk to the engine.  I did not want issues in that area, and chose to use the original ECM since I knew it talked to the transmission very well.  As I said, I did not find any information suggesting that would cause a problem.

I am really glad that the process went the way it did.  My next move was to put the replacement ECM back on the engine.  If I had done that without learning about the difference in boost sensors, I would have missed an important piece of information.  Replacing the ECM would have cured the problem, but I would not have know why.

Putting the replacement ECM in the bus is not just a drop in.  It must be programmed for the specifics of the bus.  The tire size and rear end ratio must be reprogrammed.  In addition, some transmission information must be re-programmed.  That can be done with a ProLink.  I changed the tire size and rear end ratio, but there is some transmission calibration that is not correct, as I am not getting speed and have a fault code showing for that problem.  I will need to figure that out, but should not be a big deal.  I knew going into the conversion of ECMs that the replacement unit was programmed by DD for J1939 communication.  That gave me some confidence that it would talk to the AutoShift and it did.  If the J1939 had not been activated, I would have had to have that done by a dealer, as only the "factory" can do that .

So, the electronics did their job, and none of the sensors had failed.  There was not a condition that justified a fault code.  In the real world (not the crazy mixed up "world of Shepherd") this would not have happened.

Having said all of that, I still have not gotten my "see I told you so" call from Sonnie Grin Grin Smiley

Jim
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:38:01 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »

. . . .
So, the electronics did their job, and none of the sensors had failed. There was not a condition that justified a fault code.  In the real world (not the crazy mixed up "world of Shepherd") this would not have happened.
. . . .Jim

I'm not so sure about that . . .
Many times I have received the wrong part - looked right, but wasn't. I've even had to pay for unnecessary repairs because the first part didn't fix it - $$$ later, the first part gets replaced again & the problem was solved.
My point was & is that there is no substitute for understanding the whole system. One can not simply rely on one tool to fix everything. One cannot trust all parts in the system to be correct - but that is where we must start & where total understanding of the whole system comes in handy.  Wink

Jim, you are to be commended for posting this opportunity for us all to learn from. Your tackling of the electronics is not for the feint of heart.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

"My point was & is that there is no substitute for understanding the whole system. One can not simply rely on one tool to fix everything. One cannot trust all parts in the system to be correct - but that is where we must start & where total understanding of the whole system comes in handy.  Wink  "

Words to live by, my friend!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: