Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 06:29:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is an E3 brake valve something folks rebuild?  (Read 850 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

Think mine is pissing a little, they are not really big $ but the tinkerer in me wants to know.

johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

Greyhound/GM  built the 4104 with E-1 foot valve that would not allow full air brake power to the brake cans. Greyhound thought this would stop a full brake application that would throw passengers around the bus. Bendix came out with the E-3 foot value that apply full air direct to the brake system. I replaced the E-1 for the E-3 years ago my 4104, it most definitely helped in braking, but the brakes were not perfect until I changed out the seals,slack adjusters,S-cams,seals,brake cans,brake shoes and drums on every wheel. Now it will stop on a dime.
I have one E-3 foot valve for sale off on of my 4104's

John
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »

Interesting.....as the valve was no longer the linkage controlled valve as per the book I had thought my valve was an E-3...guess it might be an E-1, will have to look into that.  E-3s are available locally for $55.00 so no real point in buying used, just thought I might while away the last cold days of winter rebuilding what I had.  Thanks for the info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: