Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:21:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is an E3 brake valve something folks rebuild?  (Read 834 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

Think mine is pissing a little, they are not really big $ but the tinkerer in me wants to know.

johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

Greyhound/GM  built the 4104 with E-1 foot valve that would not allow full air brake power to the brake cans. Greyhound thought this would stop a full brake application that would throw passengers around the bus. Bendix came out with the E-3 foot value that apply full air direct to the brake system. I replaced the E-1 for the E-3 years ago my 4104, it most definitely helped in braking, but the brakes were not perfect until I changed out the seals,slack adjusters,S-cams,seals,brake cans,brake shoes and drums on every wheel. Now it will stop on a dime.
I have one E-3 foot valve for sale off on of my 4104's

John
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »

Interesting.....as the valve was no longer the linkage controlled valve as per the book I had thought my valve was an E-3...guess it might be an E-1, will have to look into that.  E-3s are available locally for $55.00 so no real point in buying used, just thought I might while away the last cold days of winter rebuilding what I had.  Thanks for the info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: