Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which digital gauges have alarms?  (Read 551 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »

In the past some folks have mentioned digital gauges that have alarms.  Can anyone tell me what manufacturer makes these?  I have been unable to locate any with the alarm feature.

Some of my gauges are virtually unreadable so I either need to disassemble and clean them or replace them.  Will I need to replace the senders too if I switch brands?

I see that Datcon has a line of J1708 gauges that can read directly from the DDEC.  Are these a good idea or I am better off with gauges with their own senders for backup to the DDEC?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »

SilverLeaf

see--> http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Silverleaf.htm

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »

I would opt for the backup and go with stand alone.  The worst problems to resolve are the ones that involve bad data being injected into the troubleshooting by an erroneous test source.  No matter how many meters you have in the cockpit you need a mechanical oil pressure gauge and temp in the engine bay cause mechanical is the most reliable.

I have alarms for Water temp, oil pressure and trans temp.  Their "signal" is combined and fed to one REALLY bright red light AND A BACK UP ALARM mounted under the dash/panel.  My alarm sys must be switched when starting or you get blinded by the light and deafened by the buzzer at the instrant you turn on the key and the oil pressure sw gets cranky.  This also tests the alarm system.

I installed "idiot light" sensor switches that energize to ground and wired them in parallel and let the alarm light find a ground thru them and I wired the buzzer in parallel......all fed thru a 12V source controlled by a simple single throw single throw switch.

John,  I be happy and secure

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »

I already have a Silverleaf VMSpc system.  I need to replace some of the dash gauges and Clifford or someone mentioned digital gauges with alarms, but I can't find them.

It sounds like it would probably be better to not use the J1708 gauges and just replace with the same brand I already have to avoid replacing senders.  There is a place locally that deals with the same gauges I have so I will probably stop over there.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: