Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 07:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quick wiring / opinion question  (Read 2205 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »

Im laying out my wiring today and hoping to start stringing wire Thursday. My question is what are you guys running for wire. I am doing stranded (not romex) and not sure if I should just run the wires, use BX ( metel cased ) or run a plastic conduit and put my indidvidual wires in it. Im talking only 120v at this time. 

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »

I used the blue plastic conduit that is sold at the local HD or Lowes.  Much easier to work with the the BX (metal) conduit. If you are using single wires such as THHN, it must be put inside conduit.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »

jack, thanks for the quick reply. Does it come in various diamiters (sp?).

edit . this stuff ?  http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=carlon+coil+tubing&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:32:22 PM by travelingfools » Logged

bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »

Diameter (gauge) is determined by amperage- 15 amp circuits require 14 gauge, 20 amp need 12 gauge, and 30 amps require 10 gauge if the length of the run is not excessive. You should also use wire terminals and not just wrap the wire around the contact screws. It would be a good idea to buy a book on electrical circuits at HD when you are there.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »

Diameter (gauge) is determined by amperage- 15 amp circuits require 14 gauge, 20 amp need 12 gauge, and 30 amps require 10 gauge if the length of the run is not excessive. You should also use wire terminals and not just wrap the wire around the contact screws. It would be a good idea to buy a book on electrical circuits at HD when you are there.

That I understand..I was curiious about the diamater choice of the conduit..but alas,  google answered my question

JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »

John,
   Yes, I know they carry both 1/2" and 3/4", it may also be avaialable in other diameters at an electrical supply company.
    If you are starting the wiring of a entire conversion, I would buy a 250' roll of the larger 3/4" and use that exclusively. 3/4" will allow more wires and can still be used with only the wires for a single circuit. This will also allow adding more wires at a leter time, if neccessary. This will eliminate using a bunch of connectors to connect several of the 10' lengths.
    There is a limit of how many wires of different gauges can be run in the conduit. You would have to check a chart for this as you can run fewer of the larger gauge wires. The end connectors that allow you to connect to boxes are avaialabe in snap in or those that require a nut. I use the ones that require a nut as this allows me to remove it to re-route the conduit, if neccessary.
    Since there are differences in RV & residential wiring, I highly recommend George Myers "Designing Electrical Layouts". I am pretty sure it is available on this website.  Jack

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »

Just a helpful (I hope) hint here; The number of wires allowed to be run through a conduit is based on the potential heat that might be generated, not what might fit in the conduit.  That's why it's important to follow the published standards.  Good luck!

Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »

I used plastic conduit with stranded wire inside.  I bought it from HD, and is lightweight plastic water tight.  I am using it again.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure that you can't run individual strands of wire without a conduit or other protection when running high voltage.  (Someone will tell me if I am wrong.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:54:11 PM »

Mine is ran in the plastic coated metal one electrician said metal the other said plastic doing it this way I covered both and it is water tight and not being a big plastics fan of anything it has worked for me 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

Use this book to determine what will fit in various conduits. It will also give you information on de-rating conduit fills based on ambient temps and such. Very handy book. If you don't want to buy one PM me your addy and I will ship you one.

uglysbooks.com

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »

There are many web sites out on the Internet with the conduit fill tables.  No need to buy a book just for that.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 07:29:56 PM »

The ugly book is much more than a conduit fill table and it was free offer.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:34:10 PM by James77MCI8 » Logged

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:44 AM »

I'm pretty sure that you can't run individual strands of wire without a conduit or other protection when running high voltage.  (Someone will tell me if I am wrong.)

Brian,
    Hopefully our resident expert on wiring, Sean, will chime in. My understanding is that any high voltage wiring must have 2 layers of insulation/protection, except the ground (green) wire. In standard Romex, you have the insulation on each wire plus the outer sheath that covers all the wires. Using indivual wires in conduit, you have the insulation on each wire plus the conduit as the second layer.  All connections are to be inside a junction box, with tape or wire nuts on the wires, the juction box becomes the second layer.  Jack

travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

The ugly book is much more than a conduit fill table and it was free offer.

James, the offer is appreciated. Im checking with my local library to see if they can locate a copy. If not, ill be in touch.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: