Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 11:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Conversions in campgrounds  (Read 4090 times)
Handyjim

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »

Ok.  So I buy a bus and convert it.  What restrictions will I face finding a campground?  I know many CGs limit by age of vehicle, but from the reading I've done, it seems that many don't want busses, unless in the Prevost class. Now, I'm not doing a hippy bus, but I'd like something like a 102D3, or an MC9 if I can't afford the former. I'm not looking at Palm Springs resorts, which I know from experience are picky.  But how about the mid-line type CGs?  Obviously with the kind of bus I'm envisioning, it will be a classy conversion.  But to do the job, and then only be able to stay on BLM land won't cut it with my DW. Smiley

JCorey
Looking, looking, looking
Toward a Conversion
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:54:55 PM »

Hi Jim, Christi and I manage WHR camp ground and they welcome all buses.
http://www.westernhorizonstoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=126&Itemid=814/whr/index.htm
M&C  Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Handyjim

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »

Yes.  But you have a higher level of understanding, and an appreciation for the finer things in life.  Cheesy

JCorey
Looking, looking, looking
Toward a Conversion
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »

For the most part you shouldn't have a problem. Most of your average "Mom and Pop" spots need to fill as many spaces as possible. However; I did get rejected in Calf. at one ritzy campground after they saw my wheezy. They immediately were "All booked up" even though it was late and I could clearly see otherwise. I will admit that my rig would have made most there think the neighborhood was going to pot. I guess it was there way of not trying to hurt my feelings so I somewhat accepted it. I only was there out of desperation and normally only camp in State or National type parks. The adjustment I have to make is that where I live it's like camping everyday, except in a house, because I cannot see my neighbors. Most commercial campgrounds look like parking lots with trees and it gets to cozy when I can see into others setups. I would guess if you convert and polish up a nice Prevost it is a non-issue.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:54:01 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »

We found that KOA's policy is up to the individual owners.  KOA itself doesn't have a problem but some owners do.  Also, we found that calling ahead does not always help.  I have called places and explained that we are a bus conversion but apparently many times people really don't understand what a bus conversion is.  If there is any question, ask for the manager and explain what your bus is.  We were even asked once if we had a chimney coming out a window or the roof.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »

When I call a campground for reservation, I explain I have a 40ft motorhome.  If they ask about age, I tell them the truth, and the only time I've had to have it inspected before paying was a semi permanent, but giant RV park in Mesa, Az.  The only inconvenience to this was that the guy inspecting my bus took so long since he was showing it to his buddies (from the outside) since he was so impressed with it.  If you have your bus painted well, and it looks sharp, and it isn't leaking a bunch of oil (which can be a challenge with Detroits), you shouldn't have any problems.  Personally-I usually just don't stay at stuffy RV resorts-if they have these restrictions.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »

Good point Jim. Once bitten!  Grin M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:50:22 AM »

If you have your bus painted well, and it looks sharp, and it isn't leaking a bunch of oil (which can be a challenge with Detroits), you shouldn't have any problems.  Personally-I usually just don't stay at stuffy RV resorts-if they have these restrictions.  Good Luck, TomC
[/quote]

Aw C'mon, give it a rest.  I have a Detroit and it doesn't leak any more than any other brand.

BCO

cody

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:56:08 AM »

We have never been turned away from a truckstop lol (or a campground) lol I did get asked not once but twice if we had anyone famous on board, I told them I could get fired for saying but I whispered the Swedish Bikini Team and they let us right in lol.
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:48 AM »

The best way around is to stick a badge/logo, (prestigious(Winnebago,south-wind,fleet-wood,wanderlodge) on the side, when ask= You point the finger to the badge/logo.
      wrench
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:21 AM »

21 years, 48 states, Canada and lots of Mexico we have never been turned down because of any reason.  I have stayed at a few that I should have truned down. 
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:42:09 AM »

Haven't been turned down for bus but length is sometimes a question...have on special occasions (more than 3)had special treatment...if there is a 10 yr limit in camp ground just tell them the year you built it(only came across it once)most sticks and staples are pretty well ......after 10 years..really don't think it is a problem....MCi 8 now 2 prevost home done

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »

BoxcarOkie- if yours doesn't leak much, your very lucky in that you had a meticulous mechanic rebuild your engine.  Detroit 2 strokes are notorious for leaking, and mine is no exception.  Just when I think I got all the leaks taken care of, another appears.  The only real way to take care of them is to disassemble the engine and reseal with new gaskets. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
cody

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 07:19:45 AM »

Or paint it yellow lol.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »

What Jack said - only 6 years.  I expect there are places that would turn us away but they aren't the kind of places we want to stay at.  There are LOTS of spots to choose from, private and public.  Specifically to the OP's question about "mid line" campgrounds - there will be more of them that will accept you than reject you.  Obviously "mid line" is a subjective term but I would guess that less than 20% of the total RV sites in North America ar in parks that would refuse entry to anyone.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: