Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT Home Invasion  (Read 6676 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »

That's awful Clifford but I'm glad to hear you are all alive.  I'm a little surprised that the attack dogs didn't tear the perps apart but maybe they were locked up. 

Give Sonja a hug for us.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
cody

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »

Everyone of us at some point will experience some sort of trauma at the hands of a criminal, some will remember it for the rest of their life and will relive each day of it, it depends on how strong a person is and how violent the act was, I'm one of the few that have trouble putting things behind me, when I first started working for the state I was involved in an accident when a kid that was joy riding swerved into our cruiser as we attempted to pull him over, my partner and friend didn't survive, he was a veteran officer and I was the rookie driveing, I can tell you with certainty you stop and think of what might have happened if only you had turned, stopped, slowed, what ever, there is always an alternative afterwards, but at the time you do the best you can, I'm so glad your ok and caught at least one of them.     http://www.odmp.org/officer/11007-trooper-darryl-m.-rantanen
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »

Bob, those little guys did let us know there was a problem thanks to them we got the upper hand. 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 07:51:12 AM »

Clifford, Sonja, Cheryl and I are appalled this happened to you and the Mrs. How fortunate for the perp to still be able to tell the tale of this horrid act. My mom was brutally attacked in a home invasion some 40 years ago while home alone, now you know why we don't stray from home too often. Mom still has many sleepless nights over that event, the only reason she feels better is she knows that family and friends are close by and always checking on her, and of course there is Boo( our American Pit Bull)who would make short work of making a meal of anyone who entered the premises uninvited. In a home invasion scenario,you do what ever it takes to protect your loved ones and property, when it happens to you on your property you are the only one that is right! Glad you guys are alright, treat the little guys to something special today, they deserve it I think. Grin   

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 08:05:20 AM »

Clifford, I am sure glad that you guys are OK physically, and hope the mental part fades away in time.

I don't know how far we can carry this, but I would like to have some input on "protection".  I know it has been discussed in the past, but maybe we should discuss it again.

I have a pump action shotgun in the bus.  I keep it loaded but in a gun bag.  It would be very hard to get to in a hurry.  At home I have a small 22 pistol and a 22 rifle.  Both are not loaded and could not be loaded quickly. Neither would have much stopping power if that was needed.

The issue I am dealing with is how to have protection close and readily accessible,  but somehow out of the hands of the grandkids.  I also do not want to get cross ways with the law in terms of concealed weapons in the bus.

I have thought about some sort of spray.  I worry about the spray can going bad (no way to check it).  I have also thought about a taser technology (example:  http://www.defenseproducts101.com/tasers.html), but they are expensive.

In a thread some time ago, I brought up the thought of a flair gun.  Got talked out of the idea pretty quickly.

Would love some thoughts on the subject.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »

Jim, I ordered us 2 tasers this morning I don't mind giving a punk a high voltage shock if I would have had one it would have been used if for nothing else just to watch the guy moan. 

good luck

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »

I have received several emails lately proclaiming the use of a can of wasp spray.  It can spray approx. 20', does not require any kind of permit, and when sprayed in the face of an intruder will incapacitate them.  I do not it this actually works or not.  Anybody know?  Jack
PS: Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Better to be able to protect your family, yourself
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:27:23 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »

I forgot to say this in my previous post, but this subject has been on my mind for the past few months.  Some of you may follow Nick Russell's blog and/or subscribe to his Gypsy Journal.  A few months ago he and his wife returned to their coach to find it was broken into.  As Nick went into the coach, the burglar rushed by him to escape!  A weapon would not have helped in that case, but it sure got me to thinking.  

The possible issue with the taser is that it is a one shot deal as I understand it.  If you missed, you would be SOL.  Also you would need to be pretty close.  In a bus that would be the case, buy not necessarily at home.

In CO we have had a "Make My Day" law for many year.  I have not heard of one case where the home owner has had a problem.  Indeed, it seems that they have been given the benefit of the doubt.  One case I recall, the burglar was shot in the back and found outside the house.  It was presumed that he was inside when shot.  Those kinds of laws are great in my opinion, but on the road, we have no guarantee that we would be covered (don't know if that state has a similar law).

My thought on the pump action was that any bad guy that heard the pump action would take off.

Jim

PS to Mike and the moderators, thanks for keeping this on the main board.  IT IS  bus related.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:33:17 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »

Clifford,
I have always respected and admired your knowledge and contribution on this board, NOW YOU'RE MY HERO!
Glad no one was physically hurt. Take care, Will

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

Jim, I ordered the 3 shot Taser surely I could get a guy with 3 shots   

good luck

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »

I have received several emails lately proclaiming the use of a can of wasp spray.  It can spray approx. 20', does not require any kind of permit, and when sprayed in the face of an intruder will incapacitate them.  I do not it this actually works or not.  Anybody know?  Jack
PS: Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Better to be able to protect your family, yourself

I've used that kind of wasp spray. I shot it up into the gables about 20 feet up with great accuracy. It sure pissed off the wasps. I'm not sure what it would do to an intruder, but I'd be willing to try if it was my only means of protection I had. I like the idea.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

Glad to hear you place is not a "gun free zone". This could have ended much differently.

I am a proud member of the NRA, GOA, and VCDL, need I say more?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »

Glad all is well.  I guess the upside is that, statistically speaking, it should not happen to you again.  I once eavesdropped on a conversation between a New Orleans prosecutor and a man arrested for trespass.  The prosecutor told him that he would have shot him and put a knife in his hand if it had been on his property.  If you ever do shoot anyone, they should be armed when the police arrive.  There are many different possible scenarios in any given situation.  If you keep a weapon in your bus and it is entered while you are gone, you would have to assume that the intruder is now armed when you return.  If you do keep a weapon then, it must be loaded and ready to use.  Some say that with a semi-auto, you could leave the chamber empty so the racking sound will scare the intruder.  However, if you want that effect, you could rack the gun anyway even if the chamber is loaded.  It gives you another option.  It also should be in a place that is easy for you to get to, and impossible for someone else to find (that sounds easy, right?).  Further, if you keep a firearm you should stay practiced with it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:03:00 AM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »

Clifford and Sonja,

Tami and I are praising the Lord you both came out of this OK.

John and Tami.
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »

After working 'inside' for a while you come to appreciate how dangerous some criminals are.  As a Field Training Officer I got to know many of our new officers quite well. I found whatever they voted blue or red or even green, after coming to know the inmates they all had firearms at home and generally became very cut and dry about their use.  

Knowing who's on the street keeps me 'prepared'.  Cleaning up afterward is my main concern.  Wink

IMHO
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:46:48 AM by MattC » Logged

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: