Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 12:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT Home Invasion  (Read 6646 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »

Clifford,

I just read this thread...That is rough Angry!!!! I am very sorry to hear about this. At least you got one of them. I have no doubt that you will be able to get some great legal advice Wink. Did you call the police, or your daughter first Grin? (Just kidding). I agree with what some of the others have said. The world will only get worse (oh, goody, let's take everybody's guns away, that way only the bad guys have them....the way some people think), and one has to be ready to defend one's family.

You did the right thing by not impulsively shooting them. I pray that you are able to move past this, and especially your wife. Personally, I like the Taser idea. I would hate to have to kill somebody, if it wasn't necessary.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »

About a year ago I took Ohio's conceal carry class, since then I've carried a glock loaded at all times, times are changing and I live in the country, by the time the sheriff would arrive what ever might happen would be over.  For 35 years I wouldn't have a gun in the house, that changed I'm here to protect my family!  I'm not pro gun........I'm just pro living!  I'd rather have it and not need it as to need it and not have it!  Clifford I'm glad you are both well!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:16:16 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

Wow! Sorry to hear you guys had to go throught this. Just very happy you and Sonja are safe. The world is full of jerks who don't care. If they were locals there might be more, watch out.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »

Dallas,
Right on you are 100% correct. Grin
I have always had a loaded weapon close by just in case some thing like this might happen to my family.
Just today our youngest daughter called and said that some one attempted to break into their home while they were at work.
The 4 legged dogs alarm/alert systems went off and the persons did not gain entrance.
Us Folk's here in Texas. Thank God we can shoot them if they try to do us body harm.
Tazer em nah! It just makes them mad, Shoot to kill solves the problem.
jlv
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »

The subject of concealed weapons permits has come up quite a bit.  I assume that is issued by the state.  Is there reciprocity?

Like others, we live out in the toolies to some degree and we can't count on quick response.  I have not been as concerned about the house as I am the bus.  We often park in Wal Mart type lots and you can't be sure what the neighborhood is like at night.

How does one deal with Canadian law?

Clifford, I assume with the taser you do not need any kind of permit.  Did you get a holster and will you wear it on your person very much?

Well, if it is not engines to be paranoid about, it has to be something else Shocked

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 02:49:14 PM »

Clifford,
So sorry to hear of yours and Sonja's experience! But I am so glad to hear it had a "happy ending"!

I agree with arming to protect ones family and self. Just glad to hear you were able to do exactly that regardless of the out come!

It truly makes my problems seem insignificant compared to what you been through!

Shocked  BK   Shocked

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »

delete
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:15:42 PM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

I have left home for weeks and forgot to lock my front door...

Brian

Well, Brian. Your choice if you want to leave your door unlocked. However, down in the states we have a way bigger problem with "immigration" and such. We must have a lot more low life people, that don't have morals (giving you the benfit of the doubt, not to mention there are far more people down here Wink). The point is, taking away people's gun is NOT the answer. Why? Do a quick glance at how many felon's carry a weapon, and are repeat offenders. Yup, disarm the nation, and only the badguys are left with guns. Brilliant, huh?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

clifford sorry to hear this glad you are well john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »

Wow Clifford...sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope that Sonja recovers...most important. I feel for youse guys.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »

Since it seems that many believe in and have a firearm for self defense, it would be good to research and buy the most appropriate self defense rounds.  You want something that will stop the attacker but not leave the room if you miss.  There is ammunition designed for this.  Standard police type ammo is not.  Target ammo is also not.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »

Jim, go to www.usacarry.com/concealed-carry-permit-reciprocity-maps.html   to find out most of what you want to know. Quick answer is that Utah and Florida permits are the ones most recognized by other states. You can get one even though you are not a resident of those states if you take a class and meet the requirements.  A good book to buy is the Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States that tells you what is legal in each state. It is updated each year in January.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »

Sorry! it looks like you get an invalid page if you click on that link.  Try www.usacarry.com/  and then click on the first little map on the left side of the page.  By the way, forget taking any kind of gun to Mexico or Canada except long guns for hunting or competition events. And then you have to go thru a lot of red tape to get permits from what i hear.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »

FWIW, Canadian law doesn't support concealed carry, possession of a "short gun" of most any sort for any reason at home, long guns need to be registered, and without resorting to specifics, if you shoot someone invading your house, you will go to jail.  A baseball bat is a better option.  Our crime statistics are by and large far lower than in the US, again off the top of my head.  A home invasion would be front page news in my city of 500,000.  They just don't happen very often at all, and I am totally unconcerned about living in the country and possible issues.  I have left home for weeks and forgot to lock my front door...
Brian

I'm not as sanguine about this as Brian is.  There is a tremendous difference in attitudes toward firearms as you move east to west across Canada with central Canada and the extreme left coast being the least tolerant.  

To answer Jim's question, handguns and tasers are specifically prohibited.  You may be able to have them shipped through the country if you are headed for Alaska but don't plan to travel with them.  I believe you can enter the country with a long gun but I strongly advise you to present it as a hunting weapon with a specific hunting destination.  "Self defense" is not an acceptable reason for any weapon in the eyes of our government.  Even pepper spray needs to be labelled for bears rather than self-defense.

Don't ask me to explain the logic of that - I don't agree with it - but AFAIK that's the way it is.  I'm forced to travel unarmed while in your country & Mexico because I'm not comfortable with the risk of crossing the border armed.  I can't confirm the accuracy of everything on this page  but what I do know is right so I suspect it is generally accurate.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: