Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 10:31:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with clear coat peel.  (Read 3113 times)
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

I don't know about other buses but just look at Huggy Bear.

She was painted by star jet about 20 years ago.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »

Ah, yes, Ned. I forgot about Huggy. That was probably back when they took more pride in what they did, and they might have wanted to do a better job.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

Imron also comes in clear. I have had clear Imron applied over traditional paints such as DuPont. A local paint/body shop that I use does that on motorcycles because of it's durability.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »

Ned, your bus was painted before they came to Florida.  John Star was still with Dick when it was painted.
Jara told me at the time it was painted with Imron paint.  I don't think they started to use PPG base coat, clear coat until they came to Florida. 
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:00 AM »

Ned, your bus was painted before they came to Florida.  John Star was still with Dick when it was painted.
Jara told me at the time it was painted with Imron paint.  I don't think they started to use PPG base coat, clear coat until they came to Florida. 
Jack

I thought they was in Columbus, OH Huh ?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:46 AM »

I don't think they started to use PPG base coat, clear coat until they came to Florida. 
Jack

I thought they was in Columbus, OH Huh ?
Grin  BK  Grin

They were in Columbus last time I was out there (and that was fairly recent I might add). FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:36 AM »

They had a shop in FL also John left and so did Dicks brother last I heard Dicks brother was at Marathon and John was in Oregon he helped with the graphics on my bus

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:02 AM »

John doesn't do buses anymore unless it is one that he did before. I talked to him about redoing our paint job but i don't have that kind of money yet. Smiley  His is doing airplanes now. As of 3 years ago he was in the Eugene area.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
cody

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 07:29:28 AM »

I thought huggy looked so great cause she has her own special shaded spot under the oak tree at BK's lol.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 07:32:12 AM »

Mike Wilson's brother was doing the painting for John's airplane's designs at Bend Or and Mike does a few for him also  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »

Jara(Huggy Bear) did a lot of work to the 4104 I am having the roof clear coat challenge with. I know Mr Voreck (who did my conversion)being a friend of Jara at the time had Starjet shoot my 4104.
Jara put cruise control/shepard steering/transit wheels,drums,axles on the front wheels.and a host of other modifications.

John
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

Jack
 Did Star Jet paint jerrys bus.

Haven't seen it yet but i know he is just about as choosy as you.

Saw him at the RV show in Charlotte Looking for ideas
.Said he was going to keep you busy doing them.
just kidding but my kids keep me busy.

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:23 AM »

Don't want to hog the post, but I had wondered what happened to Bob's 4104.  Bob was a very good friend of mine.  I could tell you some story's about Bob and that bus that would make the hair stand up.  For you people that didn't know Bob he was a Bendex engineer.  Bob knew more about air brakes than most all the people on the net put together.  I am glad to hear that Bob's old bus has a good home. 
Now for Jerry's paint, yes he did get it done at Star Jet.  They did a good job and got it finished on time.  That was a shock for me.  I also had mine painted at Star Jet when they were here in FL.  My paint is 19 years old and just this year some of the clear coat is starting to come off on the cap.  I also have a few places where something got too close and took off some paint.  I may get some work done on it this year, if the time and money are there. 
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »

Jack,

Bob,Babara,Tami and myself go way back. We all used to meet at the Converted Coach rallies. In those days his bus was red and they pulled a Honda car. He gave me a E-3 foot valve for my 4104, this as he new being a Bendix engineer was an upgrade to replaced the OEM E-1 that came from the factory.

John

PS I was able to purchase Bobs bus from my good friend Leroy.
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 05:47:14 AM »

Keeping one's bus in a covered area, away from sunlight and in moderate temperatures will make a great difference in any paint job. Sometimes the paint problem is not caused by the painter. Even so, I have seen many factory paint jobs with peeling clearcoat and fading pigment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: