Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 11:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this  (Read 930 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:01:58 AM »

Looking at the engine compertment to the left of the throttle box is this part.  I fired up old stardust to pull it out of the barn and get ready for the weekend.  When I shut it off I went to check for air leaks being we have been duscussing the leaks.  Well from the engine compartment I could hear a shshshshshshsh.  Not bad but it doesn't seem right, certainly worth posting here and asking.  Asking what is it what does it do and should it leak.  You can orient the picture by seeing the air slave for the throttle on the right side of the picture.  My index finger is pointing right to where the leak is located.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »

shut down valve...o ring repair in most cases...good luck ..might not leak when running because of position of piston (rod in center of shut down cyl)

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:15:58 AM »

That fuel shutoff can really pinch you. It's air actuated and won't work until you have around 90 lbs of air in it so if you happen to start your bus and then decide to shut it off right away it won't stop until you have the air pressure to actuate it. I found that out the hard way one day.

"That's all I have to say about that"...    (Forrest Gump)

Rick

Mohawk sells rebuild kits.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:19:43 AM »

Well it certainly sounds like you know exactly what it is and it's function.  So I am going to pic you brain a little iffin you don't mind.  Shut down valve.  Would I be correct in assuming the valve is held in a closed position during motor operation and when the motor is hsut down it shut off the fuel to the throttle box? Thus it would not matter if it leaked only during shut down?  Lastly, I would imagine soapy water would be a good way to tell while the motor is running?

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:21:14 AM »

That fuel shutoff can really pinch you. It's air actuated and won't work until you have around 90 lbs of air in it so if you happen to start your bus and then decide to shut it off right away it won't stop until you have the air pressure to actuate it. I found that out the hard way one day.

"That's all I have to say about that"...    (Forrest Gump)

Rick

Mohawk sells rebuild kits.

Well that function is working because I did the same thing the other day.  I fired her up and tried to shut it down a minute or two later.  Turn the key off and nothing.  Your right about the around 90 pounds part.  It would not shut off.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:42:38 AM »

Wayne, they only leak in shut down it has no air going to it in the run mode on you Eagle it is about impossible to remove with out going from the top while annoying it is not a problem most stop leaking around 90 lbs.
If you decide to repair it and the end cover or rod is wore to bad let me know I have a dozen or so in the shop I have removed and replaced with a 1 piece unit. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:58:49 AM »

Thank you fellas that is good information.  I shall leave it be fr it sounds to be in proper order.  Cifford I wish you were my neighbor.

www.snakebreaker.com
baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »

A repair kit will fix it and it is easy to do.   Did mine on my 4106.   Call Luke.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »

Agree.......easy fix. BTDT

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: