Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 06:51:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92 update... not good news  (Read 6809 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »

Congrats again Chopper. Any idea what mpg you got?

John
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »

You are right Rick about the altitude. I never gave that much thought. I could have pulled it in third but yanked it down into second and threw a brick on the pedal! I did pass a couple big rigs on the way up so gear bound or not they were working also. You may have heard me running through Chattannoga. All I have is a 4" straight through stainless muffler! When we left I refueled and did a walk around after 200 miles and she was getting 5 miles to the gallon. She kept seeming to run better and better on the trip as far as power and fuel. The last check I took she got 6.8 miles to the gallon between Nashville and St Louis. Overall the whole trip averaged a bit better than 6. Judging by little tell tell signs and such and not knowing the history of my bus I am thinking I have a pretty fresh engine and we just started breaking it in. I had put less than 750 miles on it since I bought it. I have some email's and such that I found in all the records kept of a previous owner asking about injectors and timing. I have no idea. I just know it runs plenty good for me. I'm still going to go with the smaller pulley for the fans soon. I could run it as hard as I wanted most of the time but the outside temps were under 60. Probably couldn't on a 100 degree day!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

Scott,

When you make the change you'll need a big puller. I found one that would work from a local rental company.

Just a note, alot of the smaller pulleys had the same outside circumference some just had deeper grooves make sure you don't already have the smaller one.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »

Man I had a crappy day working on the bus today. Tried to remove the door skin to recover it in a cream colored vinyl rather than the puke green stuff we have. Well, I have broken at least a dozen drill bits, I hate working on stainless the stuff is just not user friendly, So I get down to the last bolt holding the hinge of the door on and guess what? It's stripped and I don't know it so.... the door falls off and lands paint side out on the tar. Let's just say I will be getting a peninsula side window sooner than expected and imron is some unbelievably tough stuff. Wherever the black trim paint touched there are scratches which are easily fixed but the stuff that would have been hard to fix was great. So the good news was my door didn't get hurt too bad the not so good news I broke off a number of bolts that are used on the door and I had to drill out and retap a number of holes and they still aren't right. You could file all night on stainless and it would laugh at you.

Worked awful hard to accomplish very little..

Rick

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »

Stainless gets "work hard" or so to say. When you start drilling on it and such use lots of cutting oil and have really sharp bits. If the stainless gets hot it gets harder! On the other hand it doesn't take much to heat up what you are removing. Even if you can't heat up the female side just heating up the male side and letting it cool will usually help. Another thing to be happy about is if it wasn't stainless it probably would be worse or gone!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »

Sorry to hear about your door Rick.  That sounds like something that would happen to me.

The onyl thing I did to my bus today was to pick up a new fridge for it.  I had a toenail surgically removed Thursday and at times I can barely walk due to the pain.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »

Scott, it's funny I get harder to work with the more I get heated up too !! Maybe I'm stainless steel too!

This thing sure had me mad earlier.

Brian,

Sorry to hear about your toe Sad I had a rough day but it certainly wasn't as bad as what you described. That sounds awful. Hope your feeling better soon and if you need help getting the fridge in let me know.

The stainless thing is such a mystery to me. We had to get my friends industrial aircraft quality tap to put the threads in and that almost broke. How do you get it to soften once it's been overheated?

Rick

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »

Surgery on my toenail might be overstating it a bit.  My regular doctor did the procedure right in his office after he saw how the toemail was growing.  He numbed up my toe and ripped the toenail right off.  It took about 20 minutes.  It still hurts just the same.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »

... He numbed up my toe and ripped the toenail right off.  It took about 20 minutes.  It still hurts just the same.

Holy crap!  Now wonder it hurts!! 

Next time you need a toenail ripped off, though, you should call. I'll bring my vice grips over. I'm sure my bill would be half what your doctor charges.

When I first started learning to ski in college, I lost both big toe toenails because I kept leaning back in my ski boots. Since then, I've had problems off and on
with them growing into the sides of the toe. I just get my trusty, rusty buck knife out and go to whittling on them. Getting harder to do that, though, as I get
older and fatter. Can't seem to get my feet up where my eyes can see the dang toenails any more!!  Getting more risky every time.

Cool

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

Rick:

Airbox drain catch pans?  Please elaborate!

Josh

Josh,

I guess he didn't hear you.  The air box is a chamber on each side of the block.  It is where the blower puts the air it compresses so it can blow fresh air into the cylinders on the down stroke.  The tops of the pistons come down below a port in the side of the cylinder inside the air box.  Because thischamber has a wall that looks at the piston and the bore it also sees engine oil.  Some small amt of oil gets into this chamber and it would fill if it didn't have a drain.  Hence, air box drain.  They drain out on the pavement and tha is bad cause the stuff gets blown on the back of the bus and prevents the toad from ever rusting ever.   The tubes are also called "slobber tubes" for obvious reasons.  They slobber much more at idle and an old worn engine will also be worse.  An engine that has been lugged will have the rings welded to the piston just a little and this also is a dripper and a smoker.  An old coffee can can be hung over the ends of the slobber tubes to catch the oil and they can be emptied at a given interval and the amt is a measure of .....?  If it goes up dramatically after an oil change you got shafted with 10 W 40.  There is also a small catch tank that bolts to the side of th block but I get the impression that most were not so equipped and being hard to find I expect that item is spendy.  Folgers would certainly work best.

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 04:17:13 AM »

Here is a photo of the catch tank I made from a piece of 3" PVC pipe and a couple end caps. The vent is from a hydraulic tank. There is a drain valve in the cap on the left end in the photo. The 2 rubber hoses come from the air box drains.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 05:59:49 AM »

Brian, i know your pain!  Shocked   I had the same thing done to me in the army in Vietnam many years ago. They gave me about 3-4 days to heal up, and then it was back out to the field. I limped around for another week or so.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »

Shoot must be the week for toe nails!
Friday night while I was sitting in a Chattanooga hotel waiting on a bus that left FL 5 hrs late I was sitting on the bed watching TV and playing with my toe nails.
SO this one is long enough I decide I need to trim it. Well I have no clippers since I didn't have my over night bag (as I wasn't planning to be there overnight until I learned the bus was gonna be 7 hrs late because they left 5 hrs late, kept stopping and got stuck in 3 major traffic jams from Tampa to Choo-Choo!). Well I started twisting and folding it to "break it off", and ended up RIPPING the whole thing off  ShockedCry  OUCH  Cry  I'd bet nearly everybody on all three floors and in the "lounge" heard me over the noise of the band! Not to mention it bled and bled and bled for hrs and when I got the call the bus was 50 miles out I caused it to start bleeding again when I put my sock on! I ended up ripping a was cloth into strips and tying one around the end of my toe and then putting half the rag ove the end of my foot with my sock on over it! talk about walking softly the rest of the week end!  Cry
 Shocked  BK   Shocked

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »

WAY TO MUCH INFORMATION.   gag....retch! Cry

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

BK, you should have just come back over here.  I have a good pair of tin snips that would have trimmed your nail.  And a good first aid kit to take care of "oops, cut to close".   Cry
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: