Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:56:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grease zert?  (Read 1533 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »

I believe I went and did a flubee this time.  Ever since the trip to Ponva City and the stuck open throttle I have been poking around attempting to really nail down the problem.  I was not 100percent sure I had an I had an ice issue in the air lines.

While we were there in Ponca I found a grease zert on the fuel box.  That zert lubricates the lever which is operated by the pnuematic air slave in the fuel system.  When you hit the fuel the air slave pushes this lever I am talking about.

I noticed it was hard to turn, harder than I thought it should be.  The grease on the outside was very hard and dirty.  I tried to grease it but I could not freae to go into it.  So I sprayed the top with wd40 while I worked the lever back and forth. It helped ita little bit.

Well since then I have been wanting to remove the grease zert and clean it to free it up and add grease to it.  Dang it all to heck carrying a handbasket, I broke the zert.  It is in the worst of all places to get too.  The thread portion of the zert is still in the hole and the rest broke off.  The threaded end is pretty small, probably an eighth of an inch.
Any suggestions maybe on getting that thing out?

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:50:52 AM »

Screw extractor (easy out) and penetrating oil.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »

I kind of figured that was going to be it.  This is going to be a b$%^& to say the least.  I could not reach the grease zert with a closed hand becaause there is no clearance in there.  With an open hand I can get my fingers in there.  I bleieve I might as well get the master bed out and go in from the top.  Take the whole assembly out, clean it, get the zert out and grease it all really well.  Sombrero, now I know why my dad used to tell me "Son your like a bull in a china closet, what you don't break you #$%^ on".

www.snakebreaker.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »

Because of the size of the easy out, don't twist it too hard, they do break! Don't ask! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »

Because of the size of the easy out, don't twist it too hard, they do break! Don't ask! Grin

Great big ole bus and they put a zert in there that has a tiny thread bolt.  It busted because of absolutely no tinsil strength.  I bought a new grease gun and the fitting fits on the zert really tight.  I pulled it straight away and it broke off.  OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! that irks the dirt out of me.  Oh well at least it wasn't  a "Shut down the bus" type of break.  It is more of just a tick me off thing.

Funny you got the first hand knowledge of these things.  I might get lucky and get the piece out of there with an extended backer outer.

www.snakebreaker.com
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »

I wish you better luck than I have had with EZ-outs. If the bolt broke off on the way in, they usually work well. But if the threads were so corroded that the head wrung off trying to remove it - I've never been able to extract it. - I've had to drill it out & re-tap the hole.

They make 'drive-in' grease Zerts - all yo have to do is drill a hole in the desired location & tap the zert in. Maybe this will work better in this case. (but if it is located like mine are, you can barely touch the fitting, let alone get a drill motor in there.)

Look at the bottom of the page:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=6337ia

Good luck!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »

About a hundred years ago I got a zerk out of my 48 plymouth by using a LONG 3/8 extension and an 8 point socket that fit the extractor, although it was a very delicate job. Let the penetrant work for a few days before trying, since it won't keep you from using the bus.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »

About a hundred years ago I got a zerk out of my 48 plymouth by using a LONG 3/8 extension and an 8 point socket that fit the extractor, although it was a very delicate job. Let the penetrant work for a few days before trying, since it won't keep you from using the bus.

That is good information right there.  Now I feel like a zerk for spelling it "Zert". Smiley

www.snakebreaker.com
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:52:15 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:10:32 AM »

Wayne , look close at the fitting if it was a angle fitting that is a 2 piece fitting and the other part will unscrew but if you broke the small one on the bell crank you have to drill those out most of the time.
I use left handed drill bits and they come right out

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:49:14 AM »

When I get to the lake this weekend I am going to get in there and clean it out to see what I got in there.  I sprayed a can of busterbolt on it and let it do half the work for me.  The threaded end is broken down in the hole and it is about the size of lets say 1/8 inch. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:51:12 AM by wal1809 » Logged

www.snakebreaker.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »

After you get it all fixed, you might consider extending the grease fitting with some 1/8" pipe to get it out where it is more accessible.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »

I've broken so many easy outs I can't count, now I am really gun shy about using them. The big problem is they are so hard that once broken off in the hole most drill bits won't touch them.

I agree the square ones are better but the smaller square ones still break.

I've had the best luck with left-hand drill bits. Sometimes the threaded part comes out once the drill makes a hole, but if not, what is left of the threaded part is much easier to remove, sometimes I just pick it out bit by bit.

I've also just left the broken part in, drilled it and re-tapped to a smaller size. In the case of this little Zerk this won't work though since this is the smallest size made that I know of.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:21 AM »

They make a zert TOOL that has a socket in the end for screwing them in and removing,  a thread chase and a easy out spiral.  Quality too that I had.  Used it maybe every two years religiously and always was glad it was in the box. 

Clifford for the GOAL!  Left handed drill bit and it that doesn't work the easy out will work better in a drilled hole.  Don't bear down on that easy out....breaks "easy".  Drill out the threads and run the chase in there unless you broke off the EO and if that is the case go to the "gas wrench".

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 04:35:46 AM »

tempory solution til you can do correct repair... they make  a extention for you grease gun tip that you attach to that goes to pointed discharge put it in the open hole and pump...if your lucky you will get some grease in there..will be messy,but will buy you time..I have one that came from napa I have had success with it...good luck    has a zerk on one end and a pointed needle on other

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: