Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 08:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kubota generator engine questions  (Read 5116 times)
Sam 4106

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »

We have a 15 KW Wrico generator, with a four cylinder Kubota, in our MC8. The generator is mounted lengthwise with the engine toward the rear of the bus. That makes the dipstick unreachable without sliding the generator out. According to the Wrico manual the unit weighs 643 lbs. plus the slide. It is a nuisance to check the oil since the exhaust has to be disconnected and sliding the unit out takes more muscle than I have. I looked at the location of the dipstick and there is a similar spot on the other side of the block as if the dipstick hole could be drilled on either side. So, what are your thoughts about removing the pan and drilling a new dipstick hole so the dipstick is on the same side with the oil filter, fuel filter and fuel priming pump? Then the only time I would have to slide the unit out would be to get to the drain plug of the pan for oil changing.

The manual for this generator calls for SAE 30 oil above 77 degrees F, SAE 20 from 32 to 77 degrees F, and SAE 10 or SAE 10W30 below 32 degrees F. If I follow those guidelines I would have to change oil several times on a winter trip from Minnesota to warmer areas. My Onan 7.5 KW Quiet Diesel with a 3 cylinder Kubota calls for SAE 15W40 from 10 to 100 degrees F.  Is there any good reason not to use SAE 15W40 in the four cylinder Kubota? I have asked two local Kubota dealers about both drilling the block and the oil and both thought they would work, but I thought I would seek the collective knowledge of the board before I do either. 

Thanks For any feedback, Sam MC8.

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
dbenck

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »

I have the same Wrico 15 KW in my MC9. I have always used 15/40 Rotella with no troubles. 800 + hrs
I would think the dip stick change will work. Just a matter of drill chip clean-up.

David Benck
Somerset, WI
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

Sam,
Sorry not to have the answers to your questions, However my PO had a Wrico genset installed. I have called and spoken to Dick Wright @ Wrico, for information and for parts. He is a great resource and person, I look forward to meet him sometime.
Google for the web site and phone number.
Mind is serviceable all from one side with the generator head on the left side. Not positive if there are accommodations to "reverse"
Good Luck,

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »

Im not familiar with the Kubota oilpan, but if you are going to the trouble to remove the pan to drill and install a new dipstick tube, I think I would install a new drain plug also on the alternate side of the pan.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »

I don't know why your dealers did not sell you a dip stick and tube on my 4 cyl the dip stick comes over the valve cover about 3 ft long I know Kubota sells it I lost mine several years ago.
I can PM you a photo of the dip stick and the pan drain I don't have to roll mine out

good luck
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:20:27 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »

Here is what you need, but this one is pretty expensive, but with some looking, you may find one more affordable.

Ray D

http://www.fluidalarm.com/liquid-level-sensor-products.asp
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »

I also have the same generator I purchased many years ago and am just now wiring it to the drivers area but I cannot fine my printout as what color wires go to what...HELP  I am now starting it from the bay with no instruments.....any body help?
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:38 AM »

I also have the same generator I purchased many years ago and am just now wiring it to the drivers area but I cannot fine my printout as what color wires go to what...HELP  I am now starting it from the bay with no instruments.....any body help?

What brand is it? Someone may hay the wiring schematic.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses.
David Benck, I feel more comfortable now in using SAE 15W40 oil in the generator with your experience to go by. Thanks.

Gary '79 5C, I tried calling Wrico @ 503-689-4245 last Tuesday and got no answer so I left a voice mail. I haven't received a return call. Is that a valid number? I hate calling businesses that won't answer the phone or return calls.

Stormcloud, the drain plug on my engine is on the front end of the pan. I think I can screw a hose into the drain plug hole to route the oil to a convenient location if I can find a hose fitting with the right threads. Your suggestion got me to thinking about that. Thanks.

luvrbus, please send me a picture of your dipstick and pan. That will help me find the parts at the dealer. My email address is charsam@acegroup.cc. Replacing the dipstick and adding an extension tube is a much better idea than drilling the block. Once again you have provided a solution for a fellow busnut. Thanks.

Ray D, that would also be a solution, but at a much greater cost. Thanks.

BJ, I can't help with the remote wiring except to tell you that, on mine, the top 3 wires on the terminal strip are for the Start-Run-Stop switch and the lower four are for the gauges. My bus has oil pressure, water temperature, battery, and hour meter. There is no drawing in the manual for remotes or gauges. Good luck.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »

Sam the pm bounces at that email address 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »

Hi luvrbus,
My wife cleaned off our email, so would you please try sending the pictures again? If it bounces again please let me know so we can contact our service provider.
Thanks, Sam MC8

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »

You might be able to extend the dip stick tube your self and use a dipstick from an old auto transmission.  Some of them are pretty long.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »

i just re-connected some of my remote wires on my kubota, but my genset is powertech, so they might be a different setup.  i can tell you the color scheme for the remote start, oil, temp and hour meter.  i also have a wiring diagram for the genset with about 3 different remotes.  i can scan and email if someone needs them.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »

I have the same wrico generator installed in my bus and I also have the complete manual for installation, maintenance and wiring it! I can go out to the bus tomorrow (Monday) and get you any info you need!

If you still need it and haven't gotten it from someplace else by then, let me know!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »

I have the part you need to extend the dipstick out over the valve cover.  I bought it for my own Kubota, but it actually hits the top of my enclosure, so I can't use it.  Let me know if you want it and we can agree on a price.  I'm in Tucson at the moment, but can ship it.  It's unused, but a bit shop worn from rattling around in the bottom of the genny compartment for a few years.

BTW, what I do to check my oil is reach around the right side (fan end) of the engine and pull the little OEM dipstick out.  My arm gets a little dirty, and I have to find the hole for it again by feel, but it works fine.  Obviously I disable the start system so the engine does not crank while my hand is back there, and the engine can't be super hot.

If you have a Wrico unit with Dick's proprietary wiring harness, I can give you the color code for the starting system.  I might be able to dig up the colors for the remote Oil and Temp gauges as well.  Let me know.

Lastly, I replaced my drain plug with a "Fumoto" valve.  This is a widget that threads into the drain hole (which, BTW, has straight threads, not pipe threads, so you can't just buy plumbing parts), has a little valve handle that is spring-loaded so it can not be accidentally opened (you have to pull up, then turn), and a hose barb on it.  I have a permanent tube that runs from this out the bottom of the compartment, and I just put my catch pan under there and open the valve, after first tilting the bus with the air suspension so that the drain end is lower than everything else.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: