Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:42:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kubota generator engine questions  (Read 4997 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

Sam, it bounced again but sounds like Sean has what you need and Kubota sells the remote oil drain it is a little different from Sean's but same principal 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »

Hi Sean & luvrbus,

luvrbus, thanks for the second effort to send the pictures. I wonder if the pictures were too large or if we have a problem with email. As you stated, if the dipstick extension that Sean has will work I will buy it, if there is clearance enough above my engine.

Sean, I have 5 1/2" between the valve cover and the top of the compartment. If that is enough room I will buy the dipstick extension from you. Does that part consist of both the extension tube and the longer dipstick? Also, thanks for the information on the oil drain valve. I just looked at the possibility of checking the oil with your method and that would not work for me. The alternator belt pulley is so close the sound deadening material (remote radiator) that there is an aluminum plate riveted to the compartment wall to compress the sound deadening material to keep the pulley bolts from touching it. However there appears to be enough room to reach the drain valve once it is installed. I will look for one tomorrow when I go in search of other parts.
 Please email if the part will work so I can arrange payment and shipping

Thank you both for your help, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »

Sam, I have to go measure it.  Will try to get to it tomorrow, and maybe snap a couple of photos as well.

Yes, the item includes both the tube and the longer dipstick.  The tube has a gasket on the end that just press-fits into the existing dipstick hole.  There is a bracket at the top end that slides under an existing bolt.

If you can't reach your existing dipstick, it will be a challenge to install this.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »

Sam, I measured my dip stick it fits 3 inches above the valve cover and the intake manifold has 2 tapped bolt holes for the bracket at the top  

good luck
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:53:49 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »

JACK if you re read the questions you will find I said (I have the same generator) the subjest was a 15kw Kubota gen......Again any wiring help would be appreciated (on this same generator)  BJ
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »

JACK if you re read the questions you will find I said (I have the same generator) the subjest was a 15kw Kubota gen......Again any wiring help would be appreciated (on this same generator)  BJ

BJ,

"Kubota" is not enough information.  Kubota made the engine; any number of companies may have made the generator head, and yet a third group of companies may have mated the two and made a finished product, technically a "motor generator set."

We need to know who did the third part -- mated the two and built the starting system.  As I wrote earlier, if that was Dick Wright (Wrico), then I can give you the color codes.  If it was someone else, we have more work to do.

-Sean

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 02:21:19 AM »

Sam, the number for Wrico is 541  744-4333.

Good Luck,

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 03:02:03 AM »

Since you are getting the dipstick, and something like a http://www.fumotousa.com/, would you be able to put a flexible loop on the exhaust since you already have it mounted on slides?

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:40 AM »

Sam
How's my 8v92 running?   Lol
I really didn't like the thought of you drilling into your genset motor I am happy you found an alternative.
All the best to you and char from the barrons
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:38 AM »

I assumed we were talking about dick Wright generators since it was mentioned several times in the posts. sorry, I should assume nothing.. Yes it is a Wright, 15kw kubota. Thanks for the help.  bj
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »

BJ,

Since the thread title only said Kubota, and you did not specifically mention Wrico, I did not want to assume anything.  Better to check first than give you wrong information and have something get broken.

Here you go:

Black: ground
Red: +12v continuous from genny start battery
White: "Start" (momentarily bridge to red to crank engine)
Green: "Glow/Stop" (momentarily bridge to red to heat glow plugs, or stop engine)
Yellow: "Running" (12v will appear here if the genny is running; use for run light, gauge backlights, etc.)

I will need to investigate further to get you the Oil Pressure and Temperature gauge wires.  If you already have the gauges, you can just look; it's one wire each.

-Sean

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »

Sean, I will be able to install the dipstick tube extension by sliding the generator out with my skid loader so I want to buy the extension.  However, I am not able to slide the generator out by hand to check the oil.

luvrbus, thanks for measuring the height that your dipstick tube is above your valve cover. If Sean's is the same it will work for me.

Gary '79 5C, thanks for Wrico's phone number.

NewbeeMC9, If I get the dipstick extension and drain valve I will have no reason to slide my generator out except for tightening the alternator belt or major repair. I am not able to slide the unit out by hand. If I used a longer flex pipe I would need to insulate it to control heat buildup in the compartment. The existing flex pipe and muffler are already insulated.

RickB, I don't know how the 8V92TA DDEC is running since I haven't started it since moving the bus over the pit. Since the weather is warming up, I will warm up the engine to change oil one of these days and see how it starts and runs after that. So much of the time I don't feel good enough to do any work so not much is getting done.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful posts, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »

Sam,

I'm just looking for an excuse to get in my bus and go somewhere... anywhere. So, here's the deal, I have Firday's off and I can come down on a Friday morning and help until about mid afternoon Saturday. I work Sundays Cheesy Grin

I bet I could roust Gumpy to come and help so make a list and let us come and help you my friend. It would be our pleasure and I take directions on other people's stuff alot better than I do my own!!

Lea says to say hi to Char. We would love to see you guys again and La crescent isn't that far.

six one two 385-7397

Take care my friend and I hopw you get to feeling better,

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »

What a group!  I swear!

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »

OK, now I am thinking the part I have is not the same one that Clifford has.  Here's a photo:

When I checked the clearance in my compartment, I see that I have about four and a half inches above the valve cover:

However, I know when I tried to put this puppy in there, I could not get the dipstick into the tube -- not enough clearance at the top.  I suspect that if you have only five inches, it won't fit for you either.

-Sean

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: