Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 06:04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After Market Cruise Control  (Read 3478 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

If you have  read my trip home report you know my cc does not work.  I am going to do a search of all my documentation to see if I can find out what type it is etc., but I don't hold out a lot of hope.

When I searched the forum it seems that King Cruise Controls and Rostra are mentioned the most.  It looks like Rostra is less expensive, so why not use the least cost alternative?  My Prevost has a high idle setting already, and Pete is a board member and fellow GMC (fwd) owner. 

So what is the collective wisdom between the two in terms of performance and ease of install?

Thanks in advance as always.

Chuckd
1979 Prevost 35 footer
Stillwater Mn
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »

We have a Rostra and it has done well. In the beginning, shortly after the install, we had some settings to change and a simple wiring failure.

The wiring failure wasn't serious, but getting used to the multipurpose design caused some scratching of our heads.

The shutoff feature that responds to a brake light signal or wiring failure is supposed to work with either a normally open or normally closed brake light circuit. This means that there must be a path for a small sensing current to flow through at all times, or the cruise will drop out.

These older GMs used a turn signal switch that has a break before make design, so turning the turn signal on or off could cause the cruise to quit. It didn't happen all the time, which made the problem a little harder to solve.

The solution was to connect a lamp load to the brake light line so that there would always be a current path for the sensing circuit. I used a 12 volt trouble light for this purpose, and that ended the dropping out problem.

The cruise is a little slow to respond to a loss of speed, so that we lose a couple of MPH before it gets on the throttle when we go through a dip. Other than that, it does fine.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »

The poor speed regulation "feature" would turn me off.  I know it would impact MPG a little.  Is the King any better at regulation?  If not then it is a moot point but if it does a better job then......just how much more expensive is it?

2 cents....or less,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »

If you have a King now just repair it they have great tech support and parts.
I have a 2500 King no complaints but there is a difference in price between the 2 yours on that model of Prevost should be a Dana or Bendix some models runs off a speedometer cable if it hasn't been replaced

good luck
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:19:08 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »

I have the King Cruise that simply pulls down on the gas pedal at the driver's seat, and it works very well. Since I have a Jake Brake, I don't have a high idle, which the King Cruise can be used as.  Will use the King Cruise again on my truck conversion (can you believe I drove the truck without cruise control for 12 years and 700,000 miles?)  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:32:18 PM »

I currently have the king2500 and it has recently failed, the cable seems to be jumping around like a gear is broken or something. It is on my list of fixes for spring. I Have to say that they couriered a shiny new manual directly to me and are very accountable - a pleasure to deal with for sure!

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:56:09 AM »

Okay, 3 Kings 1 Rostra.  Where is King Controls, it used to be part of the King Sat system.  Actually it was way before the King Sats, now I don't see it on the web site for the sats.  Where is the home page anyone?

Thanks again

Chuck
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:08:46 AM »

Chuck,
We had an inoperative Dana on our bus when we bought it I ended up pulling it out because I couldn't find parts for it.
You are in stillwater? We're in north st Paul. If you ever need any help let me know.
Six one two 385-7397.
We have a pretty healthy bus community in our area.
I would go with the cruise that has the best parts supply if I wanted to install it.
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
dbenck

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:03 AM »

Chuck,

Cruise King LLC - 22250 Glynview Trail   Faribault  MN  55021

Ph. 507-334-0250   Fax.  507-334-0206

E-mail:  mail@cruisecontrolking.com

David Benck
Somerset, WI
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:01:22 AM »

www.kingcontrols.com for satellite  

www.cruisecontrolking.com for cruise control  

www.trektets.com  for both

good luck
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:40:27 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »

Chuck,

Aren't you glad you bought your bus! Look at all the great help you get!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:40:04 AM »

Holy smokes ask and you shall receive!

Thanks a bunch.

David did you get my e-mail?

Chuck
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:28 AM »

I bought a Rostra from Pete and it is a very good cruise. The issue with MPH dropping a couple before it responds as mentioned earlier in this thread is really only a matter of adjusting the dip switches to get the response that you want and within the capability of your power to weight ratio. The support with Rostra is very good as well. I also use a wireless control on my Rostra and it works perfectly as well.

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:33:45 AM »

A lot of difference installing a cruise on a DDEC and a MUI Greg I find the Rostra will not maintain on a MUI engine but I didn't buy the units from Pete and had Rostra and the guy in Houston trying to help and the guy in Houston knew nothing and the only thing Rostra would say was the that return spring was to stiff so now I have a King 

good luck

Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »

That is a very good point. Yes, my unit is a DDEC with the electronic throttle and the unit is pulling the throttle perfectly. the MUI must take a lot more torque from the cruise unit.

A lot of difference installing a cruise on a DDEC and a MUI Greg I find the Rostra will not maintain on a MUI engine but I didn't buy the units from Pete and had Rostra and the guy in Houston trying to help and the guy in Houston knew nothing and the only thing Rostra would say was the that return spring was to stiff so now I have a King 

good luck

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: