Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing an express van running (and others)  (Read 672 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »

when i mentioned our Chevy Express van in another thread, some folks asked our setup.  Here Goes.
First off, we tow the van with the engine running, in neutral.  idling takes about 7 gal of fuel for an 8 hour day behind the bus.  a little short of 1/4 tank i think.
We have a Blue Ox 10,000 lb tow bar and baseplate because we have a lot of stuff in the van, so it probably weighs 6000lbs.  We use an SMI Air Force One tow brake brake because it is air powered and they could modify it for the power brakes in the van being active.  a normal tow brake system would have squealed the tires flat probably becuase they couldn't account for the active power brakes.  i don't have, but should have, an idiot light that shows the engine oil pressure in the van as ok.  that will get hooked up as soon as i get time or make time.  i do leave the camera on and watch for smoke  Cheesy
we tried pulling with the drive shaft disconnected and ran into a couple situations where it was necessary but very inconvenient to reconnect the drive shaft so we could move the van.  A drive shaft disconnect device is usually around $1200.  even at $3/gal, that's a lot of miles we can go before we use $1200.
We're on our 3rd year at least, towing the van around, probably 30k miles.  no detrimental effects short of miles racked up on the odometer.   
We drive close to the speed limit, and i usually take the interstates rather than the stop signs and traffic of local roads.
i don't claim my way is perfect.  it has just worked out.  i have a friend who showed up today pulling his plymouth or dodge van running because his lube pump hasn't shown up yet, but he doesn't want to pull his running all the time.  doesn't feel safe.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »

Not mentioning all the wear you putting on the engine by idling it all those long hours.  Personally- would put the transmission pump on it and be done with it.  I have the Remco driveline disconnect on my Mercedes, and it works great.  The trick is to soak it with silicone lubricant everytime before using it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »

I have a Remco driveline disconnect unit that I'd sell you for way less than that.  I had it on my 91 Explorer, which has gone to the great junkyard in the sky. You would have to have your driveline modified (or the one I have with it that I used on the explorer). Not real difficult for a good driveline shop.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: