Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of oil do I use in my diesel generator?  (Read 990 times)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »

I have a 4 stroke diesel geneset. It is a china brand (Matrix) and I can not find the manual anywhere online. What type of oil should I use in it? Just your basic 5W30?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »

I seriously doubt that 5W40 will do.  Their stuff is pretty old school.  You really need to get the straight skinney from the MFR. 

Have you run the genny?  How does it sound?  I have heard that they make a lot of noise but nobody ever mentioned "which" Chine brand they had had their hearing damaged by. Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin  They make lots of brands. 

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »

It sounds great! Like a normal diesel, not too loud either. Just a little low on oil. Anyone know?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »

There is a spec for the RPM of both the gen head and the D.  Cna yo tell me what those speeds are?  No rush....I'll be up for a couple of hours Huh Grin Grin Grin  Kidding!  No rush but give a holler when you find out.

If that is the engine  think it is it is a mech and will run on engine drain oil or WVO or a 50 50 mix with gasoline.  The catch is that you have to pull the head and decarbon every so many hundred hours////unless you heat the oil to 180 degrees and then no need to clean.  Visit the "blenders" in yahoo groups.  Odd bisquits but still....

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »

I have no specs on this geni. Sad Sad

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:10 AM »

Just about every 4 stroke diesel engine I have seen, seems to run pretty good on 15W40 motor oil that is rated for diesel engines, unless you are operating in extreme temperatures.  That is the oil I use in all my 4 stroke diesel engines.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:01 AM »

I'd go with Jack's idea of plain old 15W40 diesel engine oil.

In cooler places, there are 10W30 diesel engine oils available, lots of farm tractors call for that.

It would be best to not put gasoline engine oil in a diesel engine.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »

I'm with Jack, that's what I would use until I had better information. Don't see how it could possibly hurt anything unless it is a really strange kind of diesel engine.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »

I would use a 15W40 full synthetic Smiley>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Pages: [1]   Go Up