Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 11:34:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well I drank the coolaid, im the newest busnut in the usa as of today  (Read 2741 times)
reelnative

1976 mci mc-8 8v71 all 740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:22:28 PM »

well guys heres my first question, my drivers windshield has about 5 chips out of it im sure from road debris but they look like it was shot with a bb gun, is it cheeper to have those fixed or better to get a new windshield for the drivers side also how much do they cost and were to order one, or is that somthing one of you guys would have laying around, also ive been reading a lot of posts in here and I see that a lot of people raise there roofs, why is that done and if you do that does it hurt your mpg, one last thing hahaha yea for now, how do you guys cover the side windows to make your rigs look so cool, is there any web sites I can go to to see all the cool parts that can be bought to transform my church bus into one of these great looking rigs like a lot of you guys have, its bad the bus has been in my front yard for 6hrs and I feel the bug starting allready

life is good
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »

Hi jlink im not sure ive been reading a bunch of posts and the idea of buying a church bus didnt go over well with a lot of people, the one I bought was nice and strait no real damage and ran good, the church that I bought it from had a daycare/afterschool program that they bought the bus for and after a few yrs stopped providing the program so the bus was just sitting in there parking lot not getting used and costing them insurance money every month so they just wanted to get rid of it, when I saw it I knew I had to have it and when they told me what they would sell it to me for I couldnt say no, so I got my wife really drunk and then made her say ok you can buy it and before the hangover was gone I had bought the bus, I think that when people buy them from churches there is no maint paperwork that goes with them so its kinda crap shoot on what your gonna get, in my case I was very lucky and got most if not all the info on the bus

life is good
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

In my opinion it doesn't really matter who you buy it from. Have it checked before you buy, ask for any maintenance records. Any used vehicle is subject to anything! Case in point. At the New Texas Rally, Bryan and his family came in a 1970 4905 with 80k miles on the coach. It was previously owned by a church, they just kept it under cover and maintained it properly. The bays looked new and the body was in excellant shape.

There is only one point to make, just be careful and remember it's used.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »

Reel -

If you want a really good "tour" of a bus conversion, take a look at Craig's site.  It will keep you busy for hours, and either answer a lot of your questions, or generate even more:

http://bus.gumpydog.com 

The problem with most church buses is that they "rely on prayer" for their maintenance program.

OTOH, you found one with documentation, so you're one of the lucky few.

Enjoy your new toy, and welcome to the madness!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS:  I've sent you a private message, too.  Just click on the "my messages" tab above.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »

The problem with most church buses is that they "rely on prayer" for their maintenance program.

LMAO Cheesy The funniest humor always has a bit of truth in it.

what is a good tire pressure to run in the tires

Go to the tire manufactures web site and look up what pressure to run. It varies according to weight and tire rating/type.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 05:21:55 AM »

Church bus, line operator bus, local operator bus, maint records no maint records. 30k on a rebuilt engine and 10k on the transmission. Lets face it its a crap shoot, Until you get thoroughly check it out you dont know what problems you have. My MCI 9 was an airport bus, it had 200k miles on it, looked good, but the brakes were in sad and need of repair, shoe,drums,s-cams,s-cam bushings,slack adjusters etc.
Lets not kid ourselves,when the line operators are ready to get rid of a coach the maintenance is not the same.

John

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 05:57:15 AM »

You have Jack Conrad at Arcadia....Mike at Dunnellon and several more Mci guys in you area..visit and see what they have done...I have done a 8 myself and am presently in a XL prevost and doing a 45XLE prevost..wintering in silver springs...good luck..ck Mci for windshields;their prices may surprise you.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 06:04:14 AM »

Welcome aboard! It is a madness/ addiction/ obsession. Grin  Im fairly new to this too, but enjoying every minute of it. The bus is the coolest ride. Take the time to become familiar with your bus. When you have questions look to the search section or ask here, someone has been there done that. Enjoy the ride.....

Jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »

hahahaha sounds like im gonna have to become good friends with jack conrad, im about 20miles away from arcadia, hope he likes hog huntin and snook fishin. Im In a small town on the cost called punta gorda, and I live close to us17 that runs into arcadia

life is good
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:41 AM »

hahahaha sounds like im gonna have to become good friends with jack conrad, im about 20miles away from arcadia, hope he likes hog huntin and snook fishin. Im In a small town on the cost called punta gorda, and I live close to us17 that runs into arcadia

Reelnative,
    Welcome. Always glad to see another busnut, especially one so close to my place.  Unfortunately, we are not home right now.  We are setting in our bus at a big private bluegrass jam near Ocala.  We will be here until the middle of next week, then up to Marianna and the Florida Caverns. From there we will slowly, with a big emphasis on SLOWLY, ease up through Georgia, SC and end up in NC around the first of May.  We have no definate "Return Home" date in mind, but I will let you know when we get home.  We live off SR 31 just a little north of the Desoto/Charlotte line. Just a hop, skip and a jump out SR 74 to SR 31.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »

HI Jack that sounds real good, I myself live off of sr74 aka bermont road, im about 12 to 15mi east of the 31 intersection,

life is good
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: