Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found one...I think  (Read 5684 times)
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 06:51:03 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:08:11 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »

You must be ruthless as to the value of your time to undo the horrible stuff inside. You'll also have costs to get rid of all that crap you tear out.

I agree there appears to be some bits and pieces of worth to recover.

It will cost them to move it from where it is. Discount that as well.

There are lots of just out of service transits out there to start fresh with, you don't have to go for this abused relic.

Someone bought something they are wishing they didn't get into.

Its continued presence on a sales lot will drag down the place, they want it gone.

As long as the good bits appear to be sound, help them out, start at $1000, and don't go much higher.

Lots more stuff to spend your cash on than working from a deficit position.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »

How I would love a 6v92. That makes one sweeeeet upgrade on a 4106, 07, 08 etc. What year did they make them DDEC? And what does it take to remove it if it is?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »

As long as the price is right, maybe $1000 +/-, and you are going to do a complete gut job, salvaging what might be good, then perhaps it might be doable.

Keep in mind that however nice you do the conversion, it will never be worth more than $4-5K

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

so ball park what do you guys figure a documented fully and or partially  6V92 is worth?

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »

Hey Guys,

I built that bus in 2000 ( mostly ) for the Guy in the wheelchair. It was an EX Daytona Transit. I rebuilt what I could as for the skin and stuff.

The engine was in-frame rebuilt by E.J Sales in Orlando in their shop ($6,500), I purchased the bus from E.J. Sales for the owner. The radiator was also redone at the same time.

The rear gearing was changed to 4.11 ratio (4.10) for $3,500

The Bathroom was built for wet use for a person in a wheelchair. The Main black/grey tank was 120 gallons and the Fresh water tank as 120 gallons under the King size bed in the rear. The roof airs are Carrier Air-V and were new. The walls are insulated with 1 1/2 Inch Styrofoam, My wife worked on those for 2 weeks.

The drivers seat was modified and full hand controls Installed. Cruise control ( Rostra ) was Installed. It did have a 4kw Gas Onan generator when it left my shop.

I installed a hydraulic pump that operated the factory Lift-U wheelchair unit up front. The door was operated by an air compressor and air cylinder located above the door.

Now, From the photos, There has only been some minor degradation in 10 years. Not too bad. If I had the money I would buy that one back in a heartbeat.

The reason that it never quite looked finished, Is because he ran out of money and also stiffed me for about $15,000 in parts and labor. He moved into it before I could get all the interior fully closed up.

BUY That bus.. The Daughter called me when the owner died and asked about what to do with the bus. I went over stuff with her and they decided to keep it for a while but that was a couple of years ago.

I have my original pictures during construction also.

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »

As for those of you out there that are slamming this bus.

You need to shutup now.

Talking through your hats about something that you have no idea about is just stupid.

I give up....

scuba44

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »

Dave - email sent...
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »

Ok, Guys.. 1st Sorry, You hit a nerve with me, Just about like stabbing me in the heart over comments on that bus.

It is an 81 Western Flyer 102 Inch X 40 foot.

I spent 9 months killing myself trying to get it ready for the owner who was in Idaho and has lots of ideas many of which I agued with him about and gave up and built it as close to what he wanted given the original $27k budget including all the mechanical stuff. He pushed everything past that and much more. And flew in to Orlando 6 weeks before I could get the interior finished decently and moved into it with his Wolf-Dog which kept trashing everything and with him in the way I couldn't get done. Then he tells me he is broke and that I wouldn't get paid for the balance of the materials or labor...

I taught him to drive it. And sent him away..

His daughter told me that he travelled maybe 15,000 miles in the first 4 years before his medical conditions led to his demise.

Here are the pictures of the deconstruction and reconstruction that I killed myself over, Note I am in only a couple of the pictures because I was holding the camera for most pictures.

http://www.rvbus.net/81flyer/

Keep in mind that the bus has been sitting for a while and he did change some of the stuff around, But it looks like the atwood 35k & 25k heaters and everything else is still there. He had a king size air mattress in the back when he left Florida heading back to Idaho... The stovetop was new as was most everything else. The Fridge had a rebuilt cooling unit ($450) installed also.

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »

Dave,

That changes everything, knowing that the basics are strong.  However, you can't honestly blame anyone for forming an unfavorable opinion based on the pictures.  It does look pretty rough, and, one might assume from the photos that no maintenance has been done since it left you ten years ago.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 12:29:16 PM »

Dave,

That changes everything, knowing that the basics are strong.  However, you can't honestly blame anyone for forming an unfavorable opinion based on the pictures.  It does look pretty rough, and, one might assume from the photos that no maintenance has been done since it left you ten years ago.

I know, He was the kind of guy who would take it to a mechanic to have stuff done as needed.
I doubt that he put maybe a total of 20k miles on it all totalled.

The pictures did indicate to me that he didn't do any justice to the stuff he added to the interior or the quality. I would have to say that cosmetically it needs some serious updates and as long as the mechanicals are still in good order or can be made so fairly easily it would be a good base to build from.

Actually exterior-wise it doesn't look much worse for the 10 years. He was supposed to have it painted but that apparently didn't happen. There's probably more to the story that  don't know about I am sure.

The pictures I posted in the link for my website
show quite a transformation and I used the best materials that I could find for the price
so there's a lot of the hard work already done. Now with some cleanup and refurbishment
there may be something useful to be had for a bargain price.

Dave...

http://www.rvbus.net/81flyer/

Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »

Y'know, Dave, you might suggest to the daughter that she just give it to you for whatever it costs you to go get it, given that he stiffed you so long ago. I realize you wrote it off as a loss long ago, but she might just be happy to see an old debt paid and to be done with it.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:35 PM »

Y'know, Dave, you might suggest to the daughter that she just give it to you for whatever it costs you to go get it, given that he stiffed you so long ago. I realize you wrote it off as a loss long ago, but she might just be happy to see an old debt paid and to be done with it.

I gave up on that many years ago. Sometimes just moving on is better than
fussing about stuff and worrying over stuff. The adventure was worth the education.

It's already changed hands thanks to the estate sale back in 2006/2007 ...

I have been on the phone with the current owner helping him install new batteries
and filling in some of the blanks a little of what he has. He said the cruise control
was there in a box ( he thought ). Also apparently the previous owner had replaced
the rear tires with a smaller diameter which makes the speedo really wrong, But the Tach
works fine. I tried looking up a 30575R22.5 but couldn't find any info. The 12R22.5 are 495 Revs per mile which is what should be there. I think the speedo runs off the front left wheel
which does have a 12R22.5 so the front to rear tire ratios are off considerably.

Other than that I don't know. I do think it has some potential for someone who wan't
to start at the better than 1/2 way point.

Dave...

scuba44

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »

Dave - you and I spent some time on the phone today.  I was the one who found the bus on Craigslist and posted it here hoping to find some info.  I appreciate you telling me about the bus but....you called the owner from the Craiglist ad and told him how great the bus was and how much was put into it way back when??.....really?

So much for getting a decent deal on that bus.  He was originally at $15K for it, now $6K.  After your call he'll probably be up to about $30K.

I had called the owner and was scheduling a viewing when I saw your post.  Trying to figure out what just happened.....
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »

Okay, I am just a little confused. First off, Dave I agree (for once Grin) with Len. You really can't blame somebody for looking at a bus for face value. We can only go off of pics, and I think you would agree it looks like a POJ from the pics. Plus, it has been quite a few years since you worked on it. Who knows what the fellow did to it. He could have (from the pics it looks like he did) trashed it. And then it wouldn't be worth a hoot.

Now, Scuba, you are saying that Dave called the seller and talked to him about his "awesome" bus? I really doubt Dave would do that. He seems to be a nice guy. I wouldn't accuse him of that. It sounds like Dave called the owner before the post. But as far as calling him up after he saw your post....it couldn't be. That would be just plain mean and unfriendly.

Let us know how it goes when you meet these people. If they think that they have a "great" bus, then let them sit on it for a while. And there is always another bus, so don't be discouraged.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: