Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 12:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found one...I think  (Read 5735 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2010, 06:08:40 AM »

We had a 35' 4106 and now have a 40' MC-8.  Like everything else it is all trade-offs and what works for you and your use of the bus (full time, weekend trips, or short vacations; campgrounds or dry camping; how many people on board, etc.).  Our 4106 was definately more manuverable and better mileage, but we would not want to give up the additional space that we gained with the MC-8, especially the extra bay.  YMMV  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »

but the diff between 35' and 40' is still only a measly 5'

That is true,  but tell that to the Calf lawmakers, or whomever makes those rules, and see how far that gets you. Like everything, it's a trade off. In some places with a 40' you will have to park it and use your toad. A toad is a good thing to have if you set up camp for several days in one spot. My preference is not to have a toad and the hassle, but it just depends on what I am doing. You learn quickly what you can and cannot do and you don't dwell on where you cannot park. I don't go some places I used to before I got my bus and it is no big deal. If I had a 40' I would make adjustments and still have a good time. There is a poster on the BNO board called Fast Fred. He has posted his feelings on the difference between the sizes. I tend to be in the FF camp. Now as I get older and the children have moved out, I might adapt a lifestyle more like others here and want something bigger.

It would be nice if Sean would weigh in about this, because there is no one that I know is more experienced concerning the size issue.

Now, I recommended a 35' bus because of your budget, and I think that would be a bigger factor for you than the 5' issue. I don't know what the ages of your children are, but I do know they grow up fast. There are many 35' out there that you might get into reasonably quick and start making great memories. But I might have misunderstood, and assumed that is what you where trying to do. If you are working on your retirement project, then that is different.

Back to the length issue. I see where the extra bay and bay height would be nice but there are things that confuse me and Jack might clear it up. In the MCI you have the drivers area and stairs which takes up a few feet, and then on the rear you have the rads and the cooling fans which takes up some room. I would like to know if someone measured the actual usable living space in my bus compared to the usable space in a MCI how much difference would there really be? I don't think it is a true 5'. Also, no big deal with just two people traveling, but in an older high bay bus it is harder for your passengers to see out of the front. I also wanted a bus with all of it's windows still intact so my children can see what I get to see. Now with all that being said, if we want something different, that is the beauty of DIY. Find what works for you and what you can afford and go for it. It's all for the fun.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »

Back to the length issue. I see where the extra bay and bay height would be nice but there are things that confuse me and Jack might clear it up. In the MCI you have the drivers area and stairs which takes up a few feet, and then on the rear you have the rads and the cooling fans which takes up some room. I would like to know if someone measured the actual usable living space in my bus compared to the usable space in a MCI how much difference would there really be?

Laryn,
    On our MC-8, the stepwell/drivers area is 30", The "flat floor" is 32'6" and the raised portion in the back that the head of the bed sets on is 20" for a total of 36'8".  Because of a slope to the back wall on top of the raised area and the fact that our bed is raised above the platfrom height we get 24" usable length at the back, so for us we have a total usable length (not counting dash area) of 37'.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

Gotta chime in a little here. . .

IIRC, the difference between the interior dashboard-to-back-wall dimension of a 4104/6 and an MC8/9 is all of 3 feet.

The MC8/9's wheelbase is 24" longer than the 4104/6's.  (285" vs 261")

The 4905 Buffalos have the longest wheelbase of any forty foot coach ever built, actually, it's longer than many of the forty-five foot buses on the market today, too! (318")  Unfortunately, due to the stadium seating, there is less flat floor space in a Buffalo, unless one extends the floor forward.  Bigger baggage bins, tho.

Comparatively, IMHO, the GMs feel "nimble" on the road, whereas ALL of the three-axle coaches I've driven seem like lumbering giants, with the one exception being a Setra.  They're sort of like a big BMW mini-van!

FWIW& HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »

Quote from: Barn Owl
Back to the length issue. I see where the extra bay and bay height would be nice but there are things that confuse me and Jack might clear it up. In the MCI you have the drivers area and stairs which takes up a few feet, and then on the rear you have the rads and the cooling fans which takes up some room. I would like to know if someone measured the actual usable living space in my bus compared to the usable space in a MCI how much difference would there really be? I don't think it is a true 5'.

Roll Eyes SO BO,
Do you ride on the front like a stage coach driver behind the horses with the coach under and behind you, or does your GMC not have drivers area and door and steps also?  Huh

Most all of the drivable buses I have been in had both an entrance with steps and a place for the driver to sit with controls!  Wink  (except Dallas and Cat's 4103 where Dallas just laid back on the coach and drove with his feet while Cat shifted for him! Wink)
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:02:37 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

My bus is a little different and has been modified to better utilize the space up front. It allows for one more seat than is found in most conversions and a better forward view to an additional seat. Not saying it is better, but it trades one benefit for another that I can better use. Not my idea because I bought it in that configuration from the PO. I thought it odd at first, but having used it I now like it.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »

Not ever having owned or used a 40' conversion I would not concider myself an authority. But having observed others, I don't see how the forward area would be of much use while parked except to have a place to kick your shoes off when you get in or out. I have seen Eagles that have had the drivers/copilots area raised to the living level and I think that is a good way to reclaim that space while parked. I would also think it would put the driver up where he could enjoy the conversation better. Just bouncing that out there as a thought.

loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2010, 12:26:25 PM »

Point well-taken....but the diff between 35' and 40' is still only a measly 5' Smiley

While it may seem like it is a measly 5' it is also ~40sqft of floor space and ~240cuft of openness. 

I purchased a converted 33 foot bus.  Here are my dimensions to show you how space gets eaten up.  The floor is flat for 21ft from drivers area to bedroom.  32" from salon to steering post.  The use of twin beds allows 3ft flat floor in the bedroom making a total of 24 ft of flat floor from front steps to engine compartment humps and 28ft to the back wall.

The dinette uses living room swivel chairs as the table is across from the couch.  It is possible to add a folding chair for 3 at the table but that is the limit.

I love my length as it can make a u-turn in about the same space as an SUV.  My local CA park allows 35ft coaches and is talking about reducing that to 30.  I can park in really small spaces as I have a very narrow wheelbase with 7ft of overhang on the front and back. 

The downside is a busy ride in a cross wind and hobby horsing if I'm not careful over bumps.

If you need bunk beds you might need a 40ft.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: