Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 06:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: some pics of my new mc8  (Read 5678 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »

what would you pros say this bus is worth in its condition with the newer rebuilt v871n, and the a/c changed over to 134a, the tires are all in great shape also

Worth is a relative word. Depends on what someone will or did pay for it (and who yer relative$ are Wink), but I'd say from the pics it is on the higher end of the scale for a like shell.

One place we'd like to see pics of is the radiator/blower gear box area above the engine compartment. But I really don't expect to see surprises there either!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
reelnative

1976 mci mc-8 8v71 all 740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »

im heading out with the camera now be back in a few mins

life is good
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

here are the pics of the blower housing area,

I herd somewere that if your fans are sucking enought air thru your rads that the suction would hold your baseball cap to the grates when the bus was running, mine did that and then some, also when I drove it home my temp stayed around 160 165deg, that was a 50mi trip to my home from were it was sitting for 2yrs, the prev owner did start it up and drive it around a church parking lot about 1 time a month.

I just checked the seal around the fan door and they still bent and were plyable and the door shut very tightly
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:51:03 PM by reelnative » Logged

life is good
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »

2 more

life is good
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

here are the pics of the blower housing area,

I herd somewere that if your fans are sucking enought air thru your rads that the suction would hold your baseball cap to the grates when the bus was running, mine did that and then some, also when I drove it home my temp stayed around 160 165deg, that was a 50mi trip to my home from were it was sitting for 2yrs, the prev owner did start it up and drive it around a church parking lot about 1 time a month.

I just checked the seal around the fan door and they still bent and were plyable and the door shut very tightly

OK all your pics REALLY looked good, even the one in the spare tire compartment with the minor rotted plywood flooring and minor rust issue!

Now this top picture here really tells the story! If you look at the brackets that hold the surge tank up there is NO RUST! This area is typically the worst and rustiest area you'll find because people selling a bus don't usually think to "dr" this area up as they sometimes do other areas! (not that anyone selling a bus would EVER do that! Wink)

I can assure you that this bus is in great shape! Rust wise from the great pics you have taken and posted!
Grin  BK  Grin

Now the gear box does show evidence of having had a leaky seal or more likely someone thought the filler plug with the little tab for a chain was a dipstick and way overfilled it!
(I have seen it numerous times!)
Look for a small sight glass in the lower left of the gearbox that when clean you can see what looks like folded foil.
Congratulations on a SUPERB /findbuy!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »

Thanks for the good word busted, now maby my wife will quit smacking me in the back of the head with her frying pan for buying a bus, one thing tho I will never be able to devulge what I really did pay for it because if I did you guys would burn me at the steak on the first get together we met at.

well I guess now the fun part starts, O one last thing the church I bought it from did have it dot cert last yr

life is good
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »

Yep, I was expecting to see some rotten steel in the blower compartment. Don't see any. I'm with BK...looks like you done good.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »

Reel,

I would say $1 million,  Grin lol
I always say it is worth whatever you are willing to pay and what the seller will take. In this economy you never know what kind of deal you will come across. If you are happy with what you paid thats all that matters  Grin

With regard to the rust on the structure I would think you could scab weld a piece of flat steel across where the rust is for rigidity. (I dont know that you could cut it out, someone with knowledge of the MCI could let you know). After of course you treat the rust with POR 15 or whatever you prefer. Then seal it with a good paint.

HTH,
Bryan
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »

I think me and mr ospho, and the cold gav spray are gonna become good friends

life is good
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »

seriously. I think you have a good chassis, now you need to focus on the air systems and such, but at least one hurdle is past.  good job!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »

hey Brian when you say air system what do you mean, the air pump pumps to 125psi from 0 it takes about 3min to get there, it has an alarm that stays on until it hits 90psi, i tested the brakes and it didnt even loose 1psi when brakes applied for a min, the pump comes on at 90psi when running and pumps the system back up to 125 in about 45sec, all of the air bags look very good, and the pump for the a/c has been changed over to 134a and blows cold, is there anything I missed about the air system or do I need to change out the system that is in place, it seemed to ride very smooth on its 50mi trip home

life is good
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 06:29:35 PM »

I was thinking that my first thing would be to start taking out the 40million seats that are in there and then check out the wiring in the bus.

were does someone get the parts to do the skinning over the windows, or is there places that do that for you, ive seen some really cool looking mci s with that done to them in here

life is good
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »

Reel - Fortunately for you - you have no idea what is RUSTY in busworld - you can sleep well - whether through skill or luck you've ended up with a keeper - look back through the archives and you'll see how bad it can be - Welcome and good luck (not necessary since you seem to already have it) - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 05:57:15 AM »

I recommend that you take an air brake course, to learn all about the air systems, but to be honest what you said is most of a normal daily pre-trip check, and it passed with flying colours.  The proper check for compressor recovery is fan the brakes down to 80 psi, engine running at 900 rpm or high idle, and time how long it takes to get from 85 psi to 100 psi.  the proper check for air loss is 10 lbs in 10 minutes, bus off, and 3 psi in one minute, full brake application, engine off.  Have a mechanic check the brake slack adjusters and show you how to do it, you need to check that regularly as well.

Like everyone else, I think you have a winner.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »

hahahaha thanks Brian, yea I have owned 4 dump trucks and other hvy eqp, I have a class a cdl with air brake ind, the air system on this bus is a tad bit diff then my dump trucks, but the run up on them is the same, on my trucks the alarm goes off and the park break can be taken off at 60psi, on the bus the alarm runs up to 90psi and it wont let me take the park break off till it hits 90 also

life is good
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: