Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 04:22:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: some pics of my new mc8  (Read 5616 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »

Man do I feel like a spoiler... Although I agree that your bus looks fairly healthy I saw some area that need attention.

So, I'm not the bad guy but rather the guy who is answering your questions (don't kill the messenger!)

The first thing is you have no scroll seals (or squirrel cage seals to some)on your bus at all. You will have to call mohawk or luke at us coach and get that taken care of soon. I'll try to get you the part #.

Second, your gearbox for the cooling fans is leaking alot!!! probably could use a rebuild. Pressure wash it check the level in the sight glass fill it and see how many miles it takes to leak out of the sight glass. It should take a fairly long time. Your's may leak that much fairly quickly by the looks of it.

It looks to me like you have the bigger stock pulley on your gearbox, most folks here have switched to the smaller diameter pulley for better cooling. You should post pics of your radiators and try starting the bus and driving it to full operating temp and then either using your hand or an IR gun (With the motor OFF) to check for cool spots.

Third, you have a pretty leaky motor. The valve cover gaskets are leaking and you will need to pull the generator (not a job for a guy with heart conditions that thing is heavy) and you may want to replace the gasket and after fixing the gasket I would recommend getting a generator support bracket that bolts on the generator and keeps it from bouncing itself into another leak.

Just a thought regarding the oil leaks:

Are you running straight 40 wt in your motor?

It will leak less with that oil than with the 15/40. Yours seems pretty leaky from the pics.

Okay, sorry to be the bad guy but those were the areas of concern I got from the pics.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
reelnative

1976 mci mc-8 8v71 all 740

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »

Thanks for the info rick, were are or do the scrool seals go or are supp to be located.

yea that gearbox is incrusted with funk, I was going to scrape it off and degreese it and see if and were it was leaking from.

same with the motor I was going to degreese it and then find the leaks and attack them.

as for a gen I dont think I have one in there I might be wrong tho, if you could piont it out to me in one of the pics that sure would help me out, as for any heavy lifting, well I can bench press 400lbs but I wont be doing anything like that for a few more months I just got 4 sst screws put into my shoulder so im kinda on injured res for the nexy few months

life is good
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »

I ask this a bit sheepishly.... I don't know how to add an arrow to a picture. Does anybody here wanna walk me through that or better yet if you know how to do it point out his generator and where the scroll seals are supposed to go.

In the unlikely event that someone here doesn't step up here's my best explanation:

The object of the game when cooling these beasts is to get as much air as possible going through the radiators. With those big squirrel cage fans spinning they create quite a vacuum. So, air is gonna want to go in through the door, under the bottom of the radiator and over the top of it as well and around the sides and last but not least in between the scroll ( that's the name for the big housing around the squirrel fan) and the edges of the squirrel fan itself. So, on both side of each of the scrolls there are bolts there that are currently attached to nothing on your bus, they are supposed to be attached to pieces of steel or aluminum that supoort a round fairly hefty seal that keeps air from being sucked directly into the squirrel cage fans thereby making more air go through your radiators.

The generator is visible in the top left hand corner of the picture you sent of the motor. It's has what appear to be vanes that are in the casting and it is round and sticks straight out of the back of your motor and extends over your transmission.

Thanks

rick

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »

Reelnative,

you can see a little bit of one of the 4 scroll seals in the far right on this picture

Rick

reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »

its been raining here all day today were at 8in in one day so I havent been able to get to the bus to try and fig out what you are trying to tell me im missing, I do know that when the bus is running you can take a baseball cap and the suction thru the outside grate will hold the cap there, I did it, is it supp to suck even harder thru the rads then that, thru those grates the only way for air to go is thru the rads

life is good
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »

I can see that gen now didnt know it was there

life is good
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »

All you ever want/need to know about rebuilding the blowers

http://www.gumpydog.com/Bus/MC9_WIP/Mechanical/Radiators_And_Blowers/radiators_and_blowers.htm
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »

On each side of each blower  is a tapered cone looking assembly that Rick is refering to as a scroll. In your pics they are entirely missing. Also you may have great suction on the outside of the bus as far as air travel but make sure That is going through the radiators. Generally the seals are bad around the radiators and the air can bypass them. Many of us have gotten creative with sealing the rads up with Great Stuff and foam. I used pipe insulation to make mine seal. Just stuff to learn.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 07:03:28 PM »

when I brought the bus home the temp stayed in the 160 to 165 range,about a 50mile trip, and that was driving from 35 to 65mph and some stop and go traffic also, I even had to sit for a few min while they let the traffic go from a baseball staduim, im going to go out tommorrow and look that area over real good and take some more pics, is over heating a real problem with these busses, also what is the proper temp for them to run?

life is good
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »

I have been biting my lip since you mentioned that the temp stayed at 165.  The 2 Stroke produces way more heat than a 4 stroke...whatever that might be worth.  The 2 also gets to making enormous amt of heat as the engine wears so you see all sorts of heat solution fixes around like WATER sprayers in the radiator area,  REDUCED PULLEY size on the box to up the speed of the squirrel and dramatically up sizing the radiators for thousands of dollars not to mention the outside air scoops that actually reduce the total square inches of the opening to the radiators and lots of louvers in the engine compartment to exhaust hot air and sometimes a electric fan helping.  Do these Puppies have heat issues......cough, gasp, snort.  Was that a joke? Huh Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

Your engine is running too cold if your gauge is accurate.  MCI used to install "air stats" to stop the air thru the radiators till they were warm ad the squirrel also had a stat/flap that prevented the squirrel from pulling air when the engine was cold and that expedited warm up and helped get the temp to 180 in the winter with a fresh engine I am sure.  You need one of those temp guns that HF sells for cheap.  You find bad tires, bad wheel bearings, exhaust leaks, cold spots in the rad etc etc.  You need one.  Gauges are often poorly calibrated so get the temps verified.  You have two banks ad an engine shutdown in each bank and that needs verified and tested.  Why don't you need a temp gauge for EACH head???  Inquiring minds and all that.

You are making a mistake with the scrapper on the gear box.  Get a high pressure water gun rated for 8K pounds.  The 10 K and up will lift paint so be careful.  After washing with 8K you don't need to degrease before painting.  hats an exaggeration but I am sure you follow.

Your bus is in the kind of shape that Knuts dream of.  The whole thing screams "Go For It" to me.

And finally ITS A FRIGGEN CHUCH BUS?

That needed to be said.

Good Luck or should I say continued good fortune, and welcome

John

How much can you reverse press?  I do 300 but I am pushing 69.  I can do barely 300 on a press

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 12:56:57 AM »

Thanks for the good words John, That 165 was on the dash temp while I was driving, it has a temp in the rear that I will ck, there are lovers on the outside of the rad that have a servo connected to them and I did think I saw them close and them open back up, from the other posts they told me I was missing a flap or shroud that goes between the fan and the rad, and im not joking about the hat sticking to the outside grill of the rad, that was the first test I did to the bus, I read somewere that if it didnt do that it would have overheat problems, as for my lifting well im just a few months out from maj shoulder operation, I got 4 sst screws put in there and some bone taken out to fix a tore rotator cuff I got in a car wreck, as of now im working out or rehab as the doc calls it with funki rubber bands and 10lb bar bells, but im sure ill be back to normal in another 6mo or so, they had to fix a maniscus tear in my knee and take out half of my knee cap and that was a cake walk compared to this shoulder thing, im 44 now but allways felt much younger then I was but for the past few months ive been feeling every bit of 44.

I think this bus conversion will be just the thing to keep my mind off of all the doc visits and rehab.

when you say reverse press do you mean lat pull my best in the day when I played for u of l,( I really shouldnt say I played for them I was more like a tackling dummy) was about 650 to 670,  before the accedent prob around 450 to 500, I was a comm fisherman for the last few years and the type of fishing we do down here I had to squat from 200 to 400lbs about 30 to 50 times a day to get the fish and net into the boat so that kept me in ok shape.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:07:33 AM by reelnative » Logged

life is good
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

Speaking of heat on a 2 stroke. My 8V 71 really never gets above about 150-160 or so when its cold outside 50 degree or lower. If its in the 70's it will run at about 165. Not until its in the 80's will it run at about 180. Is that not ok?
Do I need to make a rad cover for colder weather to get the temp up?

Bryan
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »

Congrats ReelN,

That bus is so sharp it looks like an MC9 ,     

sorry if it's already been brought up, but I believe it I believe it is a 9 Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
reelnative

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »

yea it kinda looks like it now that everyone has brought that up even the front side window and side plackard looks like it.

here are a couple of pics of the fans holding my hat on the outer grate

life is good
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »

Looks to me to be an 8 with a "9 cap" on it!
One dead give away is the rear windows on each side! (a 9 has all the windows same size and shape.)
Also what does the VIN tag say it is?
Grin  BK  Grin

Never mind I went back and read your first post and see it is a 1976 model which tells us it is DEFINITELY an "8"
"9"s were built in '76! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:18:57 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: