Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:25:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Recommendations on Road Assistance Plans?  (Read 3000 times)
Runcutter

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »

We're going to pick up our new (so to speak) 4107 later this month.  It's in New Hampshire, at Michaud's.  They arranged for a full PM, starter rebuild, new radiator core, and it's about to have rooftop A/C installed (previous owner didn't use coach A/C).  The first trip includes picking up Mother-in-Law in Massachusetts, taking her to New Brunswick to see family, then wife and I will bring the coach to Texas.  All told, about 4000 miles, two weeks.

I've been looking at the road assistance plans.  Good Sam's fine print seems to say they only deal with newer vehicles.  That leaves the FMCA plan, or upgraded AAA membership.  When my wife needed a tow, first need in over 30 years of her membership, they refused to pay (until I raised an issue, and my voice, with them).  With a few decades in the bus industry, I remember them lobbying against all heavy vehicles, so I'm not an AAA fan.

Thus, the question - what is the consensus on the value of a road service plan for a 1968 coach, and whose plan has the greatest value/utility?

Thanks for the help.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX   

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:41:48 AM »

If money is no object, get one of the commercial RV specialized plans. I currently carry the Road service ryder on my State Farm policy. for about $4 a year. There are some drawbacks. The do not have a 800 number to call if you have a problem. You pay upfront and get reimbursed. No free maps or travel guides, or trip planning. Everything else is the same or better than the commercial plans. Most insurance companys offer road service for a very nominal fee.
                                                                                                Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »

Arthur the FMCA plan through CoachNet is one of the best when you call the people that answer the phones knows what you are talking about when you say Bus.  Plus it covers any vehicle that you are driving.

JCB
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 03:12:50 PM »

I agree with JC, We have Coachnet. Used it once for a blown tag on the bus and twice for our Ford dually ( thrown serpintine belt and injector pump. (they cover all vehicles in the household).  Excellent service every time. They even allowed me to have the dually towed to my shop (at my house).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:19:24 PM »

Good Sam is the best in my book but the others are probably ok too. I think I read on this board that Good Sam is affiliated with Coachnet but can't vouch for that.

The reference to newer vehicles is only for their RV repair plan, this has nothing to do with road service. My 4104 is a '54 and they didn't even question its age.

I would not recommend State Farm or Allstate for anything, they are rated about the poorest in the industry for claim service.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »

I did a quick check of the archives. 1 complaint against Camping world and 1 against Good Sam, State Farm Zero!

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:27:31 PM »

Thanks, all.  Looks like an even race. 

I've been leaning toward FMCA/Coachnet, since the 800 number is staffed by folks who know something about the vehicle, and since we've already joined FMCA.  A vote from a fellow at the local woodworking store was also for AAA RVPlus, he'd siezed an axle and they sent a flatbed, no problems.

Reimbursement plan, (insurance a la State Farm) makes sense as well, but I think the added expense of the others is justified (one call, Hello, we're in Houlton ME with a _____ problem, please send someone) as opposed to ("Hello, do you work on _____?"   "Hello, do You work on _____?"   "Hello, do YOU work on _____?  -  no, a bus -- it's a big thing with six wheels and a diesel.....  hello, hello, anyone there?")

I'd perused all 60 or so pages of the current board, saw a few comments but nothing definitive.

Again, thanks for the comments.

1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 06:27:48 PM »

jjr,

Consumer Reports does a survey of insurance companies about  every one or two years and Allstate and State Farm are always at the bottom of the list.

If you read about the Katrina insurance problems you will find Allstate at the head of the list in denying claims.

FMCA and Good Sam know the requirements for buses and MH so they are the best for us busnuts.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:56:06 PM »

This is camping world roadside assistance. How are they going to tow a bus with a flat tire?

belfert

Problems with roadside assistance and a flat tire
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:50:43 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went out to move my bus this evening and one of the tag tires is flat.  I called roadside assistance to have someone sent out to change it.

They called me back an hour later and said they called four places and couldn't find anyone to change the tire due to the 43 foot length of the motorhome.  They said to call back in the morning and I asked what if I was stuck on the side of the road and not in my backyard?  They said they would send out a tow truck instead.

I think they just didn't want to pay for someone to fix it this evening.  There have to be places that could change a tire on a 45 foot charter bus after hours.

I have only had the bus for two weeks and I don't have any tools to change a tire yet.

Brian Elfert

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »

This is Good Sam club

ghanson

MC 9

Good Sam pays up!
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:43:32 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding my mishap East of Denver last month, where the bus broke down on the side of the road around midnight and Good Sam told me to call back in the morning and even then dropped the ball and never did get me a tow so I had to find my own way and pay my own tow charge to the tune of $450.......gasp.......They finally sent me a check for an amount, with no explanation as to why they are so imcompetent. 

Hey, at least I got the money back.  Just thought you all would like to know.

ghanson, MC9

ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »

I use and reccomend Coach-net. I just consider the $100 year premium a part of my insurance budget. They change the bus tire if you have an inflated spare. I carry a spare tire. This also covers all my rides, including rental cars, lock out and out of gas, etc. Nice folks and good service. I have never heard a Coach net complaint. Anybody got one?

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 10:24:19 PM »

This is my story:

I was in the same situation as you are. I needed to get my bus from Santa Paula, CA to Roanoke, VA April of this year. The bus had not been out of the owner’s driveway for ten years. At the time I wasn’t concerned about it, but then I discovered all of the bus websites. One scary story after another and most involved large sums of money. Now I’m worried about a breakdown in the middle of nowhere. I asked a local contractor that tows for the company I work for about towing a bus and found out that he charges $4 a mile  Shocked.  I realized that I would be in big trouble if my repair money was used up in towing if I needed it. Well, I researched the best I could, and decided at that time to use Good Sam’s Club.

Here are my reasons:

1. They were one of the least expensive, ~ $79 year (Most others were more)
2. They offered a thirty day money back guarantee, regardless of how many times I had used the service. (Most others did not)
3. They offered a prorated refund after thirty days, regardless of how many times I had used the service. (Most others did not)
4. The coverage included all of my other personal vehicles. (Coverage like AAA) (Most others did not)
5. Lots of tow providers.
6. Age, size, and type of R.V. not a problem.
7. Seemed to have good feedback from what I was reading.

I liked the idea of dropping the coverage and getting a refund if I was not satisfied. I also figured if my bus became inoperable for any length of time, I could get my money back because I could not use the service.

Well it was worth every penny. The second day after I took possession, the bus had a flat. One phone call is all it took and they sent a service truck to change over to the spare. Instead they fixed the flat roadside, and the bus was on its way. I had a good experience with them, no problems. I am keeping the coverage.

If there was any advice I could give it is to shop around! I was surprised at how much each service differed from one to another, in cost, and sometimes in services. My oldest daughter will be driving in a year, so I like the idea of having the services carry over to my other vehicles. That was a big selling point for me.

This page is not as easy to find as it should be, but try this link:

http://www.goodsamers.com/index.cfm?promocode=DRCJUN135&AID=10294059&PID=655397

Good luck! And lets hope you will never need it!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:28:33 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »

Thanks, all.  Based on the website info, FMCA Coach-net, and Good Sam provider look about even.  FMCA has a promotion, 3 years at reduced cost, vs. Good Sam at one year reduced premium.  FMCA also will find/contact/make appointments at appropriate repair shops (coach, appliance, etc.) - I couldn't find that on the Good Sam site. We've joined FMCA, but holding off on joining anything else until we get some miles under us.

One acquaintance likes AAA RV Plus, but nothing here on the board.  This morning, I tried to find info on the AAA website, but it must be in a super-secret location.  Beyond that, they didn't serve my wife (30 year member at the time) when she needed a short tow - blown car radiator.

I understand the insurance reimbursement programs, but I'm looking for the one-call, that's all - I'd rather not be on the side of the road trying to find qualified (meaning warm, and/or breathing) repair person. 

So, based on the advice here, and relative cost, it looks like it'll be FMCA Coach-net.

We pick up the coach in a couple of weeks - I'm in Texas, coach is in New Hampshire.  I got a call today from Spike Michaud that the maintenance has been done - rebuilt starter, much wiring, new radiator, and they just found a replacement fan.  Coach is now in Maine having rooftop airs installed.  Spike's been driving it a bit - to.from maintenance shops, and he said she runs and handles well.  Bit of vibration above 65 mph, some noise at 75 (possible u-joint), but I'm too cheap to waste fuel by driving above 65 anyway.

All told, looks like we're in good shape, and I'm looking forward to getting in my own 1968 coach that, coincidentally, has been in the bus industry just one year longer than I have.

Thanks all.

1968 PD-4107

gus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 08:25:06 PM »

Arthur,

If the vibration is in the driveline it is only going to get worse. A broken U-joint at speed is not pretty and if it is trans or diff bearings worn out they will eventually destroy the trans or diff.

If it is tires or wheels that is not so bad and easily fixed.

You need to know.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 08:43:13 PM »

Gus, agreed.  Fortunately, I  believe I can rely on Spike Michaud's advice/assessment - before getting exclusively into bus sales, he was the maintenance guru of Michaud Bus Lines.  They'll have the coach for another couple of weeks, so I'm sure it'll be looked at again.  There's still some work to be done on the coach - and they're good folks, so I'm confident they won't steer me wrong.  You're right, it could also be tires, since the coach sat on his lot for quite a while, and hasn't really run that much yet. 

Apparently, while I was typing my last response, commenting on AAA, the irony police were working.  My wife just called (I'm out of town on business) - she just got home and found she had a very low tire.  She just called AAA, who's supposed to be at the house within an hour, to change the tire.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton, TX   

1968 PD-4107

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: