Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 05:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real simple question about WS wipers on old GMs.  (Read 3135 times)
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »

Gus,

If the drivers wiper goes out what good does the passenger side do you? My neck does not stretch that far for it to do me any good, lol. I guess I could have the wife navigate  Cheesy Cheesy

Maybe I need to check my valves. They seem to work fine other than parking. It could be me, maybe I need to turn a little harder counter clockwise  Huh

Barn Owl,

Are you talking about the new valves for $20-$29?

Bryan
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »

Zub -

From the photo in your signature, it looks like your 4104 has bee retrofitted with the parallelogram-style wiper arms, which is a good thing!

For everyone's info, Sprague (who makes the wiper motors) does have intermittant controls for the air wipers now.  Requires a third knob.  When in intermittent mode, will operate one or both wipers.  When both are operated, they are synchronized on-off, on-off, on-off, depending on the delay.  When turned on w/o the intermittent feature, the synchronization goes away.

Intermittent control switch should be available from your local truck parts house, or give Luke a call.

Oh, and a good coating of RainX works well, too!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 05:46:50 AM »

I actually pulled a set of intermitents controls from a transit.  It's a little fancy, and definitely needs a wiper motor that selfs parks...kind of cool though.  From what I can tell my sprague motors don't have a park fitting (2nd air line from control valve to motor) so I just blocked the park port on the control valve.  But the cool thing is I have wipers again, and they seem to work fine.  Even cleaned the air line air filter, it was hard to open....I doubt it had ever been done.. FWIW it was not very dirty, no trash just some blackness, rinsed out easily with thinner.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:52:20 AM by zubzub » Logged

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »

Are you talking about the new valves for $20-$29?

I know my price was in that range somewhere. It has been over a year so I don't know today's prices, but I don't think they are very expensive.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

Bryan,

With one working at least I can see something. I can also salvage whatever I need from the good one as an emergency fix.

Barn Owl,

Very interesting, my valves work just the opposite direction, CCW for on and higher speed and CW to Off and Park! Took a while to get used to.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »

Very interesting, my valves work just the opposite direction, CCW for on and higher speed and CW to Off and Park! Took a while to get used to.

Gus, I bet I have it backwards and that you are right. Most all valves I know that flow something are CCW to open. It has been all winter since I have been in the bus and I have been posting faster than my brain can process what I should say. Trying to stay active one the board and do to many other things. The best part about posting here is when someone is wrong they don't get torn up, but gently nudged in the right direction. Thanks.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »

Barn Owl,

Sorry, I had no intention of correcting your post, I truly thought yours were different. Not at all unusual with old buses.

It still is odd to me to operate wiper knobs CCW even though my brain knows that is the usual direction to open a valve. Too many years operating electric wipers I guess!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »

Sorry, I had no intention of correcting your post

Gus you are very kind. I didn't read it that way but I played it safe in case I was wrong. Everyone that reads post on this board, especially mine, has to do like Reagan said, "Trust but verify" (not the first person to use it, but he made it famous). If I am wrong, I want, and I need, to get it right. I'm here mostly to learn, and I try to the best of my abilities not to be a lurker, but someone who contributes. I am a member of several other non-bus boards but I don't contribute much to them. I have a low tolerance for "attitude gone wrong" which is all some of those posters know. I have yet to find a BB group who treated each other with greater respect and dignity than the two bus boards I frequent. I view many here as good a family and would treat them as such, knowing they would do the same for me and then some. I couldn't do this hobby without this group.

Sorry for the off topic rambling.

Thanks

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: