Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To all the POs out there. WHY???? WHY DID YOU DO IT THAT WAY???? WHY?????  (Read 3266 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »

I am in shock at all the BS wiring done on my bus.

When I got the bus I just ran extension cords to the back and ran all the major controls through those, so this week since I was replacing the drivers seat it was time to work on the wiring

There have been so many weird unnecessary changes it drives me crazy, after awhile I just pulled all the haywire bypasses, 'til I was down to the original wiring.  Guess what, once I had fixed 1 bad ground wire almost everything was working again, certainly all the main engine controls.  Even the relay I thought was bad is working.

The bad ground was caused by a lousy splice...BTW remember to seal your splices otherwise they corrode and fail years later and some lousy SOB has to spend hours chasing wires etc...to find your sloppy work. 
  So again I ask WHY?Huh?

For those that like work in progress pics this is my old drivers seat.

and this is my almost new seat, pulled it from a wrecked transit, wasn't worn out like all the other transit seats, has 3 lumbar air controls as well.

temporarily installed, seems low but that's because it's not aired up.

Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:47:46 AM »

lol...I feel your pain. I've asked myself that same question on just about everything I buy from houses to cars and have come to the conclusion that most people think with their wallets and not their brains or their just plain lazy. Here's a pic of one thing I found while converting my previous coach. It was a 4104 also.

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »

Now you know why we're called "Bus Nuts"  Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

Zub,

Another thing to watch for is corroded lugs and nuts on the terminals and corroded wire from lugs for about the first inch or so of the wire. There is usually enough extra wire to cut out the corrosion. My 4104 had bunches of these.

I replaced a bunch of lugs, cleaned all the old ones and replaced the nuts with clean brass ones, then put a drop of Corrosion-X on each one.

Yankee,

This is an approved busnut repair/mod!! Some BN have used rubber hose and hose clamps, yours is a much stronger version with those cable clamps!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:01:59 AM »

Regardless of any poor repairs done by previous owners, the wiring shown in the first photo surely needs completely ripping out and completely renewing anyway - chasing individual bad grounds and connections seems a little pointless in 50-year-old wiring like that, other than just as a temporary measure before you get around to dealing with the whole lot properly.

Just my opinion, but I'm sure I couldn't contemplate running power through a rat's nest such as that for any length of time, and certainly not using the vehicle on the road with the wiring in that state.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:46:09 AM »

Oh Jeremy, you have now gone from a rat's nest to a wasps nest.   There are more than a few of us using and driving buses with the original wiring intact.  When I first got my bus I presumed that I would need to re wire everything, but as I get deeper into it, much of the original wiring is still intact, not crumbling (I have a northern bus so lessheat degradation) and the combo rubber sheathing with cloth overlay is standing up nicely.  So after all I will be using the original wiring, and once I have it sorted, it will be safe and reliable. 

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »

Buying any bus that has already been converted will have it's head scratching moments. Then top it off by the fact that many of the busses are older than the owners (eg.  insert name here  Cheesy) and you're gonna find a lot of strange things especially when it comes to wiring. Everytime I get deeper into some of those issues I go WTF! My latest was 16 gauge wire to the Suburban heater. It pulls 8.5 amps according to the book and had melted the wires together. I was surprised when I found out it had never even burned the paint off the heating unit yet.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »

Easy for you to say Jeremy, with an '87. If you had a '54 you might have an entirely different perspective!!

Ripping all the wiring out and replacing it is a monumental job, life is too short for that and the chances of screwing it up are great. Just running all that wire 35'+ would be a nightmare. No thanks.

That panel looked like a rat's nest even when new!! There is another smaller one almost like it at the rear!!

Neat is nice but looks really don't count in electricity, who is going to see it? The little electrons don't know the difference and don't care!

I'm with Zub on this one.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »

Jeremy, there's a reason that most from the old sod run screaming to the airport for home once they have been introduced to the methods of engagement here in the Transportation industry in North America...

Whether it is our wiring or our disinterest in embracing disc brakes on the heavy stuff....

oh well.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »

Easy for you to say Jeremy, with an '87. If you had a '54 you might have an entirely different perspective!!

I suspect an older bus is easier to rewire than a newer bus.  My bus is a 1995 and the wiring bundle front to rear is about as big around as my wrist if not bigger!  The older buses don't need near so many wires to make them run.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:23:43 AM »

Well, I guess I'm out-voted...but not convinced. And I suspect the electrons do care, and haven't been convinced either.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 06:01:36 AM »

This is what the panel looked like when new

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 07:22:55 AM »

Zub,

The best thing about having a "PO" is that if someone says "Who did that"

It was the PO of course...... Wink

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

That's a good point Cliff.  Maybe it almost makes up for all the work, which to be fair, there has been a lot of maintenance done on this bus over the years, in fact the mechanicals are all in good fettle, I guess the mythical PO of this bus just couldn't handle all the do garn new fangled wiring on this modern (1953) bus.

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »

This is what the panel looked like when new

That is the wiring in the picture,  Kinda like that burger in the picture doesn't look like the one you get. Wink  Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: