Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 02:35:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who knows about aftermarket speedos? And how the are wired up etc...?  (Read 2282 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »

This came with the bus.  It's brand new, the thick black line has a socket with 2 pins, does it just need a coil and magnet for a sensor,?  What about the other wires? Who knows?

DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:49:01 AM »

At first glance I  thought this was OT.  Something about swimming attire.  Was getting nervous.
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:55:08 AM »

I could not find anyting under K K Sppedometer - What other info do you have about the speedo manufacter  - what iinfo is on the tag on the non-gauge part ??

I've been able to simulate and test/adjust the Beede Gauges I sell - by using a simple 6 or 9 or 12 volt wall charger - most wall chargers (wall warts) are super simple - full wave rectifies with absolutely no smoothing capacitors - so they put out a constand 120 pulse per sec sine wave - works just fine as input to speedometers

120 pulse per sec as input to a Speedometer that has switch set for 10,000 pulses per mile would equal ---> 43.2 mph

But many new speedometer are now much smarter - they have a setup proceedure that you initiate - then drive a measured mile and push the calibrate button and your done !!!

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »

two of those wires will be the instrument backlight and the ground.

The thick black line will be the feed for the pick-up from the front wheel.

Did it come with a pick-up on the end of a piece of matching cable?

Bolt heads drilled/tapped/threaded into the edge of the brake drum and the sensor is positioned to count the passes, turning them into pulses.

HTH

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »

That looks like a Dixson head made for Johnson Controls check with Precision Speed in Phoenix

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »

And...Wait for it.....You can calibrate a speedo as a function of most GPSs.  ...Tah Dah!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »

Dennis!  You take all the fun out of life.  Now he probably already has a GPS but for sure he WILL have one.  No installation problems with mounting and running wires and OMG drilling and taping a friggen brake drum and can you do that without taking it off the coach?  My GPS will feed my laptop so my speedo will be 18 inches wide and read out as a number....when I get the GPS AND the bus simultaneously. Grin Grin Grin

Thanks Dennis

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »

Thanks guys, I will probably get a GPS but these days maps still work for me.  The other thing is I'm not sure but I may need a speedo to pass my safety.  The bus always had a speedo so maybe there is a way of resurrecting the old stuff.  The fact that there is a brand new one on the bus means less and less as I realize what an electrically "challenged" the PO was.  This is saying something, as wiring is not a huge strength of mine.

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »

Hi zubzub,

We have the same speedometer in our 4106. You are missing a few parts from yours. There needs to be an electrical cable that connects to the cable connector to the right of the first picture. That missing cable, with a pick-up sensor, runs to the front spindle where a bracket holds it. Then there are two "T" shaped brackets, with slotted holes in them, that bolt to the brake drum 180 degrees apart. Those "T" brackets have small magnets in them to provide the pulses. The black and white wires on the speedometer head are for the light, as Buswarrior pointed out. The green, red and white wires on our module go into the front junction box. If you find the missing parts I will take the cover off the J-box the find the terminal numbers they are attached to.

Good luck, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »

Excellent Sam, just what I needed to hear. If I don't find the magnets and coil I will make one (I've done this before for Cruise controls) Basically all the pick up is is a coil and the magnets energize it.  When you get a chance that would be great if I knew how to wire this in, those colored wires were the real mystery to me.  Excellent.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »

I think you'll find it easier and more accurate to use a hand held GPS to monitor speed.  You can probably find a Garmin Etrex on Craigslist for about $50.

I can certainly understand if you still want to fix the existing speedo.  There is a certain nostalgia about an original looking fully functional dash.  I ended up buying a GPS speedometer that fit in the original hole, but it was not cheap.  My original speedo could not be fixed and the local shops would only replace it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:48:20 AM »

Hi zubzub,
In our 4106 the red wire from the speedometer module is attached to terminal #43, 12 volt hot. Terminal #43 on your 4104 may not be hot 12 volt so please check to be sure the red wire goes to a hot terminal. The green and white wires are both under a ground screw into the frame.
Good luck, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »

Excellent Sam, That's all I need to know.  The forum rules.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »

I use my Garmin for directions and based on the speed it shows  the  original speedo is dead on. What I miss is an odometer and a fuel gauge. I get nervous running 10 hours before fueling and then I only need 85 gallons. Someday I'll be pulling a crosswind and be needing more than that! I could probably run another 4 hours but then I would be frettin and stewing those last 4 hours!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »

Chopper, you got no worries, even put a hurricane headwind and you'll still be fine in 10 hours.

If the old fellows weren't sweating, no need for us to!

The only folks who run out of fuel are the ones with fuel gauges.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: