Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 03:13:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the going Rate to have Spray Foam Insulation Applied???  (Read 7126 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »

A good thing about spray foam it seals your bus but it does have drawbacks also 1 it starts losing the R Value from day one and if the installer is not careful it will result in crappy looking exterior sides and you have to put up with the fumes for 6 months plus if you have a leak it is almost impossible to trace.
I have hot spray foam but I am not for sure I would do it again with all the hi tech stuff on the market today

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »

I chose a different method

I used Rmax ->> http://www.rmaxinc.com/wall-r-matte-plus3.asp ".......R-Matte Plus-3 is a rigid foam plastic thermal insulation board composed of environmentally sound, closed cell, polyisocyanurate foam bonded to a durable white-matte (non-glare) aluminum facer and a reflective reinforced aluminum facer. This product is suitable for use in wall sheathing applications in new residential, commercial and agricultural buildings and for thermal retrofit construction to existing buildings. R-Matte Plus-3 is ideal for use in both frame and masonry construction. R-Matte Plus-3 is available in ½", 5/8" and ¾" thicknesses, as well as, several different lengths....."  Reflective foil one one side - non-glare alum on the other side

I just keep ALL THE DOOR AND WINDOWS OPEN - and used SOLVENT based contact cement - with a roller I just applied cement to the roof and to aluminum surface of the foam - I used muliple smaller pieces to make it easier - wait 60 second - then just TOUCHED to two glued surfaces together - tap them with a mallet and a small 2 x 4 - You would need a stick of dynamite to get them down

I framed my ceiling with 2 x 3 and left chanels for my "H" pattern "DUCTED A/C VENTS"  - have pictures if you need to see what I did  - I used multiple layers of foam to a total of 2.5" in most areas - I used the silver A/C duct tape on the seams (just to be sure ??)

The results were absolutely amazing - My RTS with it's huge windows (they are tinted) will HOLD TEMP a long long time - It's like driving in a thermos bottle

JUST MY WAY -

Just exactly how many layers or inches thick of foamboard did you end up with after it was all installed? Also, which facing (The reflective or Non-glare)is turned inwards towards the interior of the bus? Thanks...

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »

J,

Lots of folks use a method that is prohibitively expensive to us because they got some sort of SUPER deal on materials.  This sounds like one of those, as multiple layers defeats the foil and vinyl backing by embedding it in the wall.  Price out your job and spray hot foam should come in cheapest.  Only spray will make your bus silent...seal all the air permeation leaks, add structural strength and is done in ONE DAY by someone else.  Very little savings in DIY kits and historically that method was 25% costlier.  Polyiso board 2 inches by 8 feet think is $36.  So 30 sheets is $1.060 plus glue and a weeks cutting and then spray foam in a can for the edges and alu furnace tape....etc.  Spray foam always come out ahead.  One knut said he cold no longer tell if the 8V92 in his 9 was running.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »

Ok here goes. When investigating sprayed foam it is important what type we are talking about. Closed sell or open cell. Also whether it is polyurethane or something else. Sorry I don't remember the other types. Polyurethane over time will lose it's R value as it begins to break down. Don't know exactly how long this takes. When spraying hot foam whoever the installer is (you or a contractor) must make sure not to go to thick too fast as it will bubble out your siding. When considering cost of sprayed will the contractor shave down the excess & get rid of it or is this up to you. How long that takes I don't know.
    Now let's talk polyiso board. With a little research & calling you can find a commercial roofing installer who does rubber roofs. They install the polyiso board as underlayment. Reason- Insulation- Ah Ha now we're talking. There is a chance that they might have some in the thickness you need. This may be left over from jobs, etc. I found some 1 1/2 inch thick sheets 4 x 8 for $5 each. That's possibly 1/4 the price new. 30 sheets cost me $150. The 1 1/2 inch was what I needed for my Eagle. Cut & install took me 2 days. I must interject here that I will not be able to tell you how well it works for me till June when it gets pretty warm. I can however say that I know a couple of busses done this way & they are fine. I also know of a couple of busses done with spray foam & they are fine. One of those owners however had the misfortune of the bubbled out siding. He had to pull everything & completely reside. Once he had it sprayed again all went fine. He loves it. Hope this helps. 

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 09:46:12 AM »

Brian I wouldn't remove the foam.   My Prevost has the same sprayed foam.  I have touched up the missing "rock and debris hits" foam with the touch up expandable foam (spray can) that  you get at HD or Lowes.

It really does protect the interior of the wheel well, and insulates the inside of the bus from road noise.

Zeroclearance,
  I am getting ready to build back my drop in insulation pans over the wheel wells. I thought of using the spray foam instead of undercoating in the wheel wells.
Clifford, what's your thoughts on doing this? Is it overkill or an added bonus for insulation & sound deadening.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »

My bus has both spray foam and undercoating in some areas.  The entire bus was factory undercoated and they went right over the spray foam. 

Most of the bus (except over the luggage bays) has a metal sort of a belly pan under the plywood floor that is filled with spray foam.  In the driver's area they spray foamed on the the underside and left the spray foam exposed.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: