Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 05:18:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting to spin-on fuel filters  (Read 2809 times)
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »

Jim,

Do you have the heated or unheated model? I am guessing for where I am the heated model would not be necessary.

Bryan
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »

The mileage we put on our buses can you justify the cost of a Fuel Pro those are not trouble free I had the units on some equipment and the filters get a little costly when you get a bad batch of fuel like we did some time and I could never see where the Fuel Pro saved me any money.
Fwiw I have new one in the box a heated one for 12v and I never installed it on my Eagle I will make somebody a good deal on.
I change my fuel filters every 20,000 miles cost me 11 bucks for both  

good luck
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:31:53 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »

Clifford,

Are you using the cartridge filters?  Yours seems like the very best deal.  That is the KISS decision, right?

Is there a glass sight bowl that can be installed so I could monitor for algae and air.  I would think that air bubbles would shut the engine down.  "Empty" glass would be some great info.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:36 PM »

Bryan, I did not get the heated unit.  Most of our tanks are exposed to the bay in some way, and my bays stay pretty warm, since I leave the heat in the bus on all winter (almost impossible to winterize the water system and we normally use the bus during the winter months).  I got the least expensive one.

Clifford, I am surprised at the Fuel Pro cost comment.  The replacement filter sources are:

DD: 23521528
Donaldson: P550467
NAPA:  3651XE
Wix: 33651XE

All are 7 micron filters.  I saw prices that were all less than $20 and some down to less than $15.  Recall that you only need one filter.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »

Jim, is that a walk in price like from Cummins, DD and Napa when those first hit the market I was paying 45 bucks each and the dealers were the only place you could buy one, then sure they say it will last as long as 2 regular filters but it will take a long time to recoup the cost.
If I had a electronic engine I probably would use one with the heat the that common rail engine produces in the fuel but with my old MUI 892  11 bucks for a set of spin on filters works for me and I can buy the 3118 and 3120 in a drug store  plus if I drop a filter no big deal and I don't have to wait 2 days for a new cover for 80 bucks. I don't think 7 micron will work on a V892 my book and service bulletin call for 5 or less on the secondary   

good luck
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:02:37 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »

Although the Fuel Pro is not something that would be on the top of my priority list, I do like the idea of a water separator.  This may be of less interest to those that travel a lot and are constantly moving fuel through the system.  But for those that have a tendency to sit for long periods of time, I would guess there could be condensate building in the tank.  I suppose I could look into other water separator options too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »

Clifford, I found a receipt from Stewart Stevenson and I paid $7.67 in June of '07.  I was quite surprised at that cost.  That was for part number 23521528.  I have bought a couple of more since then, but can't find the receipt.

As a side note, at the first few Bus Conversion Magazine rallies, a fellow by the name of Mike Meloche gave some great seminars on two stoke engines.  He really knew his stuff and was a good presenter.  He and I got to be friends and did a lot of talking about Detroit Diesel stuff.  Obviously, part of his being there was to push DD product including Reliabuilt engines.  At one of his presentations he talked about aftermarket parts that he recommended.  After the presentation, I asked him what one product he thought was a good value, and his quick reply was the Fuel Pro 382. 

I tired to track him down a few years ago, and I think he was forced into an early retirement (sounded familiar to me Angry). 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »

I got Mikes phone number and address he lives in Mesa now he was living in Utah working for Smiths till last year.Fwiw I went and looked at the manuals on my off road trucks and they were the dual system in 2001.  

good luck
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:53:58 PM by luvrbus » Logged

DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »

Something to keep in mind here, it was touched on lightly but should be brought to light, is that electronic engines need a different filter rating (microns) then mechanical engines.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 08:04:37 PM »

Well, Craig,
I have not had any problems with anything I've gotten from you yet so this sounds like a plan to me. I'll take you up on it.

I'm good to go with the canisters for this trip, but would like to change over sometime this spring. The trip from Alabama with the Eagle taught me the value of spin on filters.
Fred

Fred Thomson
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 05:17:44 AM »

Well, Craig,
I have not had any problems with anything I've gotten from you yet so this sounds like a plan to me. I'll take you up on it.

I'm good to go with the canisters for this trip, but would like to change over sometime this spring. The trip from Alabama with the Eagle taught me the value of spin on filters.
Fred

I'll dig them out of the clutter in the garage and make sure I still have them. The mind plays tricks on me from time to time, but I'm pretty sure they're still out there.

I'll let you know for sure in the next few days.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »

Sorry about this drift in this thread, but it looks like it has about run its course.

Clifford, I am sure glad to hear that you have a contact for Mike.  The next time we chat, I will get his contact information.

Have you left AZ yet?  We will be in Albuquerque next week for the FMCA.  Maybe I can pick up the turbo?

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »

Jim, I'll be at Jim's on Monday Tom had to change the turbine wheel and machine the housing but it is good to go now looks like a new one.
I have the old wheel looks like something got in it. 

good luck

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: