Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 09:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting ready to do tanks...  (Read 829 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:30:34 PM »

Will the tanks need to be ordered with the drain holes and fixtures in the corrent place or are they just shells and I have to drill and place the drain fittings?  If so, can I use regular plumbing fixtures to attach the drains to the black and gray?

As always, Thanks...
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:37:12 AM »

Danny,

I did it both ways. My fresh water had four fittings in the end wall. These fittings were spaced at the four corners, one up high for city water fill, other up high for vent, one down low for pump pickup, other down low for drain. This tank was ordered @ 23"x23"x46", and they spunwelded the fittings in. I used PEX for all the fresh water applications, and I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

Grey water tank I ordered without fittings as I did not feel comfortable with being able to estimate the service entrances correctly. On the main drain for the grey water I put in a 3" PVC drain. I used JB weld for this connection. On the topside connections i.e. for vents and waste entrances, I used HD caulk to seal them in. On all these fittings I just used the standard 1 1/2" PVC fittings with male threads, drilled a hole in the tank so they would screw in and sealed the piss out of them.

I think, after much study of the archives in all the boards, there are lots of ways to do this. So study up and have a good time.

HTH
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 05:37:56 AM »

What kind of tank material?  If you are looking at rotational molded "plastic" tanks, the fittings are usually spun in using a fitting installed in a heavy duty router. This can be done at the factory or by you (with the proper tools).  Another option is to use "UniSeal" fittings. These are a rubber gasket that is snapped into a pre-drilled hole, lubed with dish soap, and a piece of PVC pipe pushed through the gasket. I have used these in the tops of tanks, but am hesitant to try them below the liquid level. Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 07:05:37 AM »

Not sure on this becuse it happened after I did my bus. But they came out with a tank for blackwater that helped to control odor. Not sure how they did it. Even thought the tank is perfectly sealed, the odor can premate or seep through the walls of the balckwater holding tank. Hopefully someone that knows about these tanks will chip in or look into them befor ordering!
                                                                                                                                              Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: