Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 10:27:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Da trip  (Read 765 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:58:40 PM »

Man, what a great trip! left Tucson about 3:30 am on the 4th,genset ran flawlessly all the way to L.A. Maid it to the 101 with a few stops in about 10 hrs. had reservations at El Capitan for our first night on the road. Started running outa steam so we stopped a bit short at Emma Wood State Beach. What a treat to stumble onto this place. Built by the Corps of Engineers about 1927, it is classic Southern California. Built a fire and poped open the cooler. On of the most spectacular sun sets of the trip!!
 After a perfect 70 degree nite sleeping with the windows open we pulled out at check out time and made the turn north to pick up the 1 at San Luis Obispo. The drive up the 1 was exciting to say the least and I now agree with all of you who said everyone should do it once. I was to busy to enjoy the scenery and Susie was to terrified to take pictures. The pull up the mountain about Big Sur will leave you breathless and the folks who live up there don't seem to notice the white line in the middle of the road..more on that another time. Found a restaurant that literally hangs off the mountain about 1000 or so feet above the beach. as we were leaving a car whipped in the parking lot, jumped the parking bumper and was hanging by the rear wheels over the dinning deck we had just had lunch on Shocked paid the tab and headed north.
 Our next stop was Half Moon Bay. Stayed a couped of nites and let the kid loose. Was nice to just lay on the beach and drink beer. Left Half Moon Bay late and found a rest area just outside of San Francisco.The next morning was a Sunday I believe so Traffic going into San Francisco was lite. We found the last exit before the Golden Gate Bridge and Pulled off to take some pictures at the Bridge café (just under the bridge). The parking was only four hrs. but the girl at the café directed us to a free parking area about a block further on.This lot appeared to be where the locals park to jog or ride there bicycles at Golden Gate Park. Big lot no gate and no signs with restrictions, I believe we could have staid over nite if we had wanted to.We locked up the bus, walked the short distance back to the café and got a bus schedule from the nice girl at the window. One bus change later and we were at Cannery Row. We chartered a fishing boat and took a tour of the bay. Really a nice way to see S.F. We could have taken the trolley anywhere in town from there but we wanted to get a little farther up the road before it got to late. Back to the bus (only about a 20 min. Ride) and on across the Golden Gate .
  Lost our dimmer switch and the headlights with it just after dark.As I'm kicking the dimmer switch and watching the lights flash on and back off I saw a sign, REST AREA 1/2 MILE. this is where we spent the next nite..
  Back on the road and all the way to the Redwoods just north of Eureka. Spent 2 nites in the Redwoods then up to Crescent City to restock the cooler! Great place for this if your going this way. Big Mall on the South side of town has everything you need. Left Crescent City and drove through the Smith River area,absolutely magnificent.Made the pull over Grants Pass. This is the end of the good scenery on the 101 in my opinion. Flat ground, Traffic and Four lane from there all the way to Seattle.Told Susie I didn't know Kansas went all the way to the ocean Undecided
 Won't bore you with the details of the trip home except to say we saw Mt Ranier state park and at Richards advice the Sea-lion Caves( this was one of the real high points of the trip and would like to say Thanks for the tip on that one Richard, unbelievable!!)
  Now I will Bore you with a few photos( kinda like going to uncle Bobs for home movies huh)

I am working on a link to some more pictures, will post it if I can get it working.

Had a great time            Tucson
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:55:39 PM by tucsontattoo » Logged

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 07:23:55 AM »

Hey, TT, nice rundown of your trip. We'd LOVE to see more pics or details when you get the chance.

We also bus-travel with our young kids (now 9, 7, and 5). Here's a site I made of a similar trip last year to the Southern Cal. coast: http://www.brownland.org/travel/western05/cover.htm

We used to have a 4016 like yours, but "traded up" to a 35' Buffalo this year with a slushbox tranny (so Momma could drive it). I still miss driving that old girl, though.

Anyways, keep those travel blogs coming!

Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 07:47:30 AM »

Brian - that is a fantastic web presentation of your trip.  Very interesting read.  Thanks!

Tucson - please keep your trip stories & pics coming too!  great stuff.

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: