Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 05:44:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative fuels  (Read 7256 times)
NeoplanAN440

1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:43 AM »

Maybe i can use this post also to ask again!!

is anybody running a cummins engine ,(lets say a 350 big cam or early l10) with the PT fuel system,on WVO??
I would like to hear about problems or results!!!
just wondering how the system can handle it,as im planning a big cam or l10 swap in the future!!!

Also i get a lot of emails and comments,that i would risk my engine or damage it!!!

i do this now for a long time and have taken lots off my engines apart,after running on wvo for a long time,but have never seen any damage that results from the use of it!
i run Mercedes (yes they will run on everything,he gets even UCO and atf) vw engines as generators,gm 6.2 and 6.5,cummins 6bt (450k miles total and still counting),isuzu gens,kubota,lister,witte.......

im running the 6v92 on it with no problems as of now (knock on wood)
the fuel savings have paid to be ready for an engine swap to a ntc or l10 in less then 6 month.
but still my engine is strong,no smoke,and uses less then a quart on 1k.
i do more oil changes than most as a precaution,but all samples come back ok.
when doing the rack and valves,all looks good,no sludge around the injectors.
i check the air box and pistons from time to time,and looks clean to me.
i never had the heads off at this point!!!!

so if anybody has a failed engine due to wvo or has opened a detroit because of problems with wvo,i would like to hear from it or learn what went wrong!!!!!

yes i had enough problems,mainly because i was trying to cut corners on the conversion.
not enough heat,wrong filters (flow rate) or just skipping a few days while cleaning and dewatering
wvo can get you in serious trouble!!!
everybody can run a mercedes or p pump engine on all kinds of oil.my first gm 6.2 showed me what it means to have good and clean wvo and the right system.the standyne pump of these will teach you a lot of lessons and hours on the side of the road switching pumps.
i think the last pump i changed on I8 in az in the middle of nowhere some years ago,finally gave me the kick to work on my system and resolve the problems.sometimes it takes a while till you move on.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »

Wal,

If you paint the BIG tank BLACK you will never get oil that has settled out the water and particulate.  One side of the tank getting heated will set up convection currents within the tank and keep everything nicely mixed for4 you.  Warm ol does stttle far better and quicker than cool/cold but the heat must be uniform.  Put you tank in the shade or build an enclosure for it....tin...wood...brick...adobe?Huh??

Didn't want to see you shoot yourself in the foot, Sport.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »

I never thought about convection currents.  I can see that now because it gets really hot here and I can see that tank getting 140 degrees or more.  I got another idea then.  I can set up a couple of 300 gallon totes in the new barn.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »

I'm not sure which one you wanted to post, just hover your mouse over the picture, copy the IMG code and past it anywhere in the post you want the picture to appear.

Like this.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
NeoplanAN440

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2010, 07:27:56 AM »

Thanks for the Help!

Learning everyday another step!
I guess if i spent as much time on my computer,as i do in my Garage,maybe
i will understand it sometime!!!or maybe NOT!!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »

Wal

Did you know that glys can be spread on your dirt road as a dust suppressant?  Alcohol free, now!!!

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »

Is anyone considering WVO for home heating?  I don't have the issue in Florida but I would bet that a lot of you in the frozen north use a lot more fuel in your furnace than in your bus.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
NeoplanAN440

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

Yes i do!!

I run a Listeroid 6/1 on Wvo as my generator to charge my batteries.
the cooling system is connected to my house water heater and the hydronic loop!
i added a heat exchanger in the exhaust to recover all heat losses.

in the summer i have my outdoor jacuzzi (also tied into the system) running as a radiator.
just for fun!!!
for the next season im working on converting a beckett burner to waste oi,and run an outdoor oil boiler with it!!

i guess living off grid,made me go crazy!!!
divinerightstrip

1990 Le Mirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »

Is anyone considering WVO for home heating?  I don't have the issue in Florida but I would bet that a lot of you in the frozen north use a lot more fuel in your furnace than in your bus.

How about both?
I was considering a diesel heater in my bus so that I could also run that off of WVO Smiley

The Bus Girl
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »

Most diesel heaters would plug up with veggie oil. not practical.  I have diesel heaters in my bus and work great but noisy outside. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: