Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 06:51:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WVO blended with RUP(regular Unleaded Petrol)  (Read 2958 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »

Thought you all might like to see what "the other half" are up to.  This is from the Blenders Forum:

Hello everyone this is my first post so hello to you all

i have been reading some posts on another forum about ring gumming in Di
engines and how they use water injection to steam clean the combustion chamber and clear the gumming
i personally have never had a problem with gumming and put this down to using a home made browns gas generator on my 1995 discovery 300TDi
i have been using it long before i found out about WVO and it works well
turning water into a gas Hydrogen and oxygen which aids the combustion and gives better mpg a certain amount of this gas turns back to water and creates superheated steam the same as the water injection BUT
the water injection system is only used occasionally where as the browns gas generator is running all the time the engine is running and it is this fact that i attribute to me never having a problem with ring gumming just Google browns gas generator and you will find loads of info
and plans to make one loads of designs just depends on how technically minded you are hope this may be help full to someone and now some info on my system

single tank running WVO with a 10 % RUP in summer and 20% RUP in winter
and the gas generator running of a fused ignition live
thats it
ive done over 25000 mls like this and no ill effects at all(the gas generator has been running for about 32000 mls)
and the MOT tester cant understand why the readings on emissions are so low

best regards to you all

Andy

That he is running a single unheated tank is the eye poper for me.  And isn't a 95  300TDi a common ail system?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
cody

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:35:38 AM »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:30:56 PM by cody » Logged
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »

Oh No...not Browns gas generators again...Arghh!

Seriously, as Cody says they have been discussed quite heatedly in the past - it's not that they don't exist - obviously they do - and they probably even work - but to such a small degree that they cannot possibly make any useful contribution to economy. Whether there are useful side effects such as the one described in the original post I don't know - I'm familiar with using water injection to reduce detonation in high performance petrol engines, but not in diesel engines running on veg oil.

Incidentally, I have a cousin who runs his Ford Mondeo on veg oil, and he described to me how he carefully measured the 'weight' of the oil by timing how long a known weight took to fall through a measured column of oil, and then taking the same measurement using regular diesel. He then experimented with diluting the veg oil with different amounts of paraffin until the veg oil matched the diesel - so the bit about using 10% petrol makes sense to me.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:49:56 AM »

I think the dry cell type of browns gas generator will have some better results as it can produce more gas and stay cool if designed right. I wanted to put  WVO system on my bus but gat taken by the guy in Seattle and never got the equipment. So guess it is better to keep the money and spend it on fuel. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:21 AM »

Well I built one for my bus a couple months ago. I plan to use it on my next trip and will let this board know my results. I have had a couple short trips already without so I have somthing to compare it to. I know it won't work and I am stupid but what the heck.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »

Well someone on this board had a run with one on and claimed almost double the mileage but I don't think that is possible. I am expermenting too and will try some runs on my my 5L diesel PU to get an idea. I have a 34 plate unit and if it works on the PU i will use two of them in series for the bus. so if it is possible to increase the mileage 30 pr cent it might be worth while. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »

This is funny, I had this same conversation at lunch with a fellow forward thinker.  I don't see the bus creating enough electrical energy to produce a sustainable amount of gas to see a difference at the pump.  If so then I am all for it.  Sign me up. 

It is easy to make the gas in a garage but making a sustainable amount on the bus while driving down the road will be the problem.  Carry on and let us know what you got.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:24:21 PM »

While this is not ready for bus installation, it is an interesting step.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/eHydrogen-Solutions-Launches-H-Solaris-Generator-Sunlight-as-Renewable-Zero-Emissions-1133469.htm

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »

Now  I respect the opinions of each of you.  Always have.  My curiosity was with the WVO applications.  I looked in Wiki and it stated flatly that Brown gas was a fraud as far as running a motor vehicle....nuf said.  But this guy isn't "running" the vehicle on the stuff, but is augmenting his fuel.  The degumming is a new one.  I don't think water will degum anything but I don't have a completely closed mind.  Really looking forward to hearing about your discoveries and I mean REALLY.

Thank you each for your comment and regrets that any ever got a drubbing..especially you Cody.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »

From the eHydrogen Solutions website blurb:  "The company estimates 1 liter of water can meet the electrical kilowatt requirements of the average residential household."

Caveat Emptor.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »

From the eHydrogen Solutions website blurb:  "The company estimates 1 liter of water can meet the electrical kilowatt requirements of the average residential household."

Caveat Emptor.

John

To be fair, in theoretical chemical terms it probably can. More to the point is that the company is utilizing a 100-kilowatt solar power plant and are running the electrolysis process at between 800 and 1200°C. Ain't gonna happen in any meaningful way with a 12v car battery. Now with an on-board Mr Fusion unit you might begin to have a chance - after all, we know they can produce the 1.21 gigawatts required to power a flux capacitor

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »

Is using hydrogen as an efficiency booster really any different than using propane?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »

Is using hydrogen as an efficiency booster really any different than using propane?

well, the idea is that you can "make" hydrogen on your bus from water.... which is nearly free.  Making  hydrogen on your bus is where the nuclear reactor comes in.

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »

This just doesn't seem possible unless additional energy is being added along the way.  There can't be that much usable hydrogen in a gallon of water.

I suspect if these brown gas units, fuel magnets, 100 MPG carbs, etc really worked that some car company would be utilizing them.  I know the inventors of these things say big oil is paying off GM, Chrysler, Ford, et al, but there would be some company like Tesla selling cars that got super MPG if these things worked.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

This seems to have lodged on the Brown's gas facet of what the guy said.  That is unfortunate as BG has been debunked as a "stand alone fuel" for many years.  It may provide some benefit as an augmentation to other, proven, fuels.  D is proven.  Bio is proven.  WVO is proven if you heat it and start and stop operation on D.  SVO is also proven as there are bookoo farmers that have run their D equipment on the stuff for the past 25 years that some I have read know about as the farmer was in his family and answered to "Uncle".  Maybe mixing BG with any of these will have a benefit and some here are planing to run that experiment and more power to them..and us.

For me an unproven fuel is "blenders" mix.  I expected that to be debunked in short order and it hasn't been.  It just keeps getting more interesting.  Making Bio is old hat at this point.  Making fuel without going thru any serious process piques my interest.  And not that I am ready to start feeding a DD 8V92 fryer oil mixed with gasoline.  Doesn't that sound like the ravings of a Huh??  Does to me.  Only fly in the ointment seems to be the inevitable need to de coke the engine and un stick the rings.  So far it seems that that fuel is "kinder" to the engine in that there is no knock and it runs a little cooler.  The method of these guys seems to be that if it won't run when it is cold simply up your dilution ratio of gasoline.  There are more than a few of these guys out there.  In fact there are many and that proves nothing....I know.

I need my own D so I guess that is my next step.  This is getting to me.  You guys are having all the fun and making all the stories to tell first hand and in the first person.

—Pla
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: