Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 06:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WVO blended with RUP(regular Unleaded Petrol)  (Read 2812 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »

The amount of Hydrogen in water? My son had it burning and some loud booms.

Some around here run light crude straight in their engines, needs to come off the top of the tank.

Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
cody

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 05:34:20 AM »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:32:55 PM by cody » Logged
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »

My fear of mixing oil and gasoline to run a in a diesel.  It is my understanding the two tanks are engineered differently according to safety.  Gas is much more dangerous than diesel.  Thus the tanks for gasoline are engineered differnently than diesel.  When we go pour gasoline into a tank designed for diesel nothing happens.  No explosions no sky falling.  The design was in case of an accident not designed for mere driving down the road.  So fear some, and I know thems that do, will have an accident and then test the tank design.  It could be a very very dangerous situation.

I am not an engineer but it makes sense.  I have not compared the two tanks for I don't need to.  I will run BioD all day and night for that matter.  I will run WVO the same, but pour 30% gasoline into my tank and go? Uh-uh!! Not going to do it.  Sure if the world was coming to an end and I had to drive to the other end I would but just to get me from here to over there.  I'll sticl to the restaurant trash.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 07:18:45 AM »

most major car companies have prototype cars now that are running on hydrogen on demand, those links I had posted in the past and can be googled and found again.

None of the links you provided last time were for cars running on 'hydrogen on demand' - they were all for either piston-engined vehicles running on stored hydrogen, or electric vehicles running on stored hydrogen via a fuel cell. There is no debate about either of those concepts - the discussion that is taking place here is solely about the viability of the 'on demand' aspect.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
cody

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:34:24 PM by cody » Logged
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 07:55:32 AM »

Using simple currently & readily available methods to generate electricity to separate the hydrogen & oxygen bond works, but as has been demonstrated so many times in the lab & in real world conditions, you lose more in inefficiencies than you will ever get back – especially if recombined in an internal combustion engine.
Also demonstrated is the fact that IF the engine is properly tuned to take full advantage of the addition of hydrogen & oxygen, certain emissions are improved along with the gasoline use efficiency.
Another opportunity to be overcome in using an on demand hydrogen generation system is supplying the required volume of hydrogen when full power is required of the engine in real time. One reason is the required size of a storage vessel creates a host of other problems (size vs. storage pressure vs. pump to pressurize it in storage, etc . . . )
One method of on board real time hydrogen generation that I liked used a catalyst that, when put in water, caused a reaction that provided the gas instantly. This system would have to be run similar to nuke fuel rods (but instead of radiation dangers, you'd have excessive fuel premixed in the perfect ratio of oxygen for combustion to deal with).
We all, for the most part, are complacent with the inherent dangers of the fuels we use in basic transportation – mostly because we have been taught & understand safe handling procedures. We need to be careful to understand what the subtle nuances are with some of the ‘new’ fuels if we are to maintain safety.

Real technological progress happens every day. So does the fleecing of people by con men & snake oil salesmen. The problem is recognizing the difference.
We must also be fully aware of the ‘hidden costs’ so that we may make the best choice for our own situation.

BTW, recycling saves something from the landfill, not simply diverts it from one use to another.
Just because it is called ‘waste’ doesn’t mean it is headed for the landfill either.
Around here, many restaurants have contracts with ‘waste veggie oil’ haulers who sell the ‘waste oil’ for use in other products – cosmetics, animal feed, etc. For those industries, if ‘waste veggie oil’ isn’t available, they have to buy new.
Also, around here, hauling more than 5 gallons of ‘waste oil’ is considered "hazardous material" & requires special permits to fully comply with the law. So, there is another issue that must be considered – even if it isn’t regularly enforced.

Ain’t nothing cheap & easy anymore!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
cody

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:35:18 PM by cody » Logged
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22:42 AM »

It seems to be the future fuels will be used by the cars differently than the currently available fuels.

The latest hybrid vehicles are demonstrating having both batteries & gasoline works well in beginning that shift to what will be required for future transportation needs.

I hope they come up with something that replaces the internal combustion engine all together - it's efficiency is only 20% at best.
But with the current infrastructure & the cost to replace it - looks like we're stuck with it for a while longer.

It's gonna cost plenty develop & implement the next viable fuel, we'll get there faster if we don't waste $$ on crap that won't work or is loaded with hidden costs. That is why open discussion is needed - to help each other see more of what is involved.

Does glossing over inconvenient details & hidden costs help anyone looking into a project?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
cody

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:36:18 PM by cody » Logged
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »

The http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/hydrogen-on-demand.htm link is just a general page of information about the concept and mentioning various start-up companies proposing to market hydrogen-on-demand systems in the future. The only 'big name' mentioned is Samsung, who it says has a scooter (ie. 50cc engine or less) running an experimental HOD system using sodium borohydride as a source for the hydrogen (sodium borohydride being a hydrogen derivative - ie, there is no question of the hydrogen being produced from water here).

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not saying that workable HOD systems for cars won't exist in the future - just that they don't now  <sentence removed>

But - I'd love to be proved wrong - feel free to post a genuine link proving that "most major car companies have prototype cars now that are running on hydrogen on demand"

Jeremy

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:02:35 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »

Ok, let's try to discuss this respectfully or not at all.  NO inulting one another.  It is ok to disagree.  It is not ok to insult the intelligence of each other.
cody

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »

The powers that be have made their choice, I have nothing more to say, I have removed my posts.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:36:57 PM by cody » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: