Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 06:00:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: windshield nightmare  (Read 2016 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:08:23 AM »

We are having the windshield in the Dina replaced. It is turning into a nightmare. We bought a new rubber gasket, and they tried to put in the windshield, and said they couldnt get it in, that it was too tight. This went on a long time. They said they could use the old one. We were getting pretty upset at this point, so we told them to just do it. Well, they broke one. So, now we have got to order a new one, driver side. Then, we had a new window made for the driver side window, they didnt use the rubber gasket on it, they glued it in!  Shocked  I know all windshields are different, but, I was wondering if the gasket is suppose to be installed first, and then put the windshield in, or put the windshield in the gasket and then install it all at one time. We are going to try to find someone else to install it when the new one arrives, but pretty leary now. Has anyone had this done near Macon, Ga? Dont know who to trust, and can actually do it right. Oh, another suggestion but the guy who tried to put it in, was that we grind the glass down a quarter of and inch or so, so that it isnt so tight?HuhHuhHuhHuh Never thought this would be one of the big issues............... Huh

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »

Ruthi,
   I can't speak about a Dina, I have never seen one, but on our MC-8, we installed the new rubber gasket in the bus first. We then installed the windshield in the gasket. We took our time, using plenty of dish soap as lubricant and a couple small pieces of oak (about like a thick popsicle stick) to work the rubber over the edge of the glass. Last step was to install the rubber locking strip into the gasket.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:30:19 AM »

On our Eagle we installed the rubber first with a piece of 3/8" rope under the inside lip to aid in installation after the glass was in place. Pulled on the rope over and around the inner frame that is secured to the main frame. Worked the rubber seal with a tool made from UHMW for installing glass. Then installled the lock strip with another tool made for the job. I used a deluted spray bottle of soapy water to make it easier to work the rubber.

This was to install the original glass, not new. I did this all by myself with a cheap suction cup tool from Harbor Freight.

Sure hope it goes better for you the next time.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:36:52 AM »

Ruthi, when you buy some after market windshields you have that problem and also with a roof raise the openings get a little off even without touching the opening and grinding the glass is the only option left.
Is the windshield from Curved Glass if so some of their Mexico made windshields just don't fit compare it to the old one.
And who knows for sure but the old ones could have been ground down it is not uncommon to grind a windshield

good luck
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:10:25 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:57:46 AM »

Ruthie, the tools Paul has in his photo.........are the tools to use.......those composite hand tools are awsome and you can find them at Harbor freight also and they are about 3 bucks.  The cord locking tool is also the tool to use.

I broke two windshields when I was installing my front windows, but it was my fault, when I raised the roof I closed the opening up in two directions for a total of maybe a 1/4".   After backing up and opening the windshield opening.....it went right in!  It's a two man job!   Soap and lots of water make it work, put the gasket in the opening, then start the center post section by pushing it into the groove while working the top and bottom gasket over the window take your time!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:40:53 AM »

Ruthi, I know most here on the board buy from Curved Glass but I found Coach Glass in Eugene Or a lot better to deal with and a far better product. http:// www.coachglass.com

good luck
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:44:30 AM by luvrbus » Logged

James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:14:29 AM »

Well this time when I visit you will have to turn the lights off in the bus to keep it cool. Hang in there Friday is a coming!

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

Ruthi, I know most here on the board buy from Curved Glass but I found Coach Glass in Eugene Or a lot better to deal with and a far better product. http:// www.coachglass.com
good luck

Clifford,
   We got a price from Curved Glass because everyone told us they were the cheapest (and they were). Until we added crating and shipping.  Overall, MCI was much cheaper with free packaging & shipping.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »

for the prevost guys 179 dollars each delivered to you.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »

sorry didn't say from prevost parts...bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »

Now that's interesting.  Which prevost glass is it...or more exactly is the prevost windshield always the same part #.  I ask because I am pretty sure the glass I took from the 75 prevost is an exact match, if not it is within 1/4" grinding distance.  So this makes me think...as all the gmc highway coaches ('53-80?) are the same, we all have a good price on windshields.  Does this sound right to anyone?  BTW if you are sick of my posts it won't last long...I'm under-employed right now, wife's out of town and I'm full on bus for a bit.

p.s.  was talking to an old timer the other day, he's doing a MCI, he's old school quebecois, been in the bus business forever, his take on Prevost back in the day, was that he (Prevost) always just took bits and pieces and "borrowed" everyone else's idea and put together buses...the early ones are pretty much truck chassis with windows.  This was nothing new but they were doing it long after the others in the game were much more bus specific in chassis and design.
Anyhooo, seeing as apparently Prevost just mixed and matched it really does make sense that the glass would be the GM glass.

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 04:27:34 PM »

I had  been told that the side windows on allot of the Prevost is the same as the windshield on GMC's.

Bryan
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

Yeah I heard that as well.  Unfortunately the donor bus is all tinted plexi glass, I'll check it out though, might fit.  Could be good vandal glass.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 09:04:04 PM »

The gasket on Ruthi's Dina is all one piece.  There is no lock strip.  The lack of the lock strip is why the windshield replacement is so difficult.  It doesn't help that the rubber gasket is much thicker than most.

I believe they got the windshields from MCI as nobody else sells them for a Dina so far as I know.  The way the roof was raised should absolutely not affect the windshield fit.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:39:58 AM »

Belfert, www.coachglass.com they list the Dina windshields in their inventory fwiw

good luck

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »

I never could find another source for Dina windshields when I needed them.  My first set of replacement windshelds came from MCI, but they were made in Brazil.  The third replacement windshield when I hit a goose has an MCI logo on the windshield and I have no idea where it was made.

I've talked to Ken and Ruth in person, online, and via phone and I believe they got their windshields from MCI, but not 100% certain.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: