Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 09:32:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1954 Crown Supercoach  (Read 4227 times)
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »

I Just Scored This 54 Crown Out Of The State Of MONTANA.

Vin # 33084  ( Owner Once Was..Don Hurley Billings MT )

Two Crown Buses Were Sold To The Railroad in Montana in 1954.

This Is What The PO Has Told Me.(Not Don) He Said There Was A Guy Out Here That Knew All About This Bus....Well Is It Someone Out Here ??

Any Info Or Leads Would Be Great.

THANKS
MrBreeze

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:53:11 PM »

Maybe Gary or Pat will see your post and help.  Anyway, you probably have an ex-hiway passenger coach. Crown Coach Corporation did make a bunch of different configerations, like fire engines and trucks, school buses, weird transit coaches and ones like you have.

PROBABLY you have the old Hall Scott pancake 6 cylinder gasoline mill, unless it has been repowered with either a 471, 671 DD, or a 743 or 855 Cummins.  Might have the original International mill, but kinda unlikely.

Hall Scott mills were great for their era, but now just about impossible to get parts for.  Gasoline mileage will be about 3-4 miles per gallon on the highway.  One of our Crown Fire Coach engines got a wopping 1 mpg.

Power ranges were what ever the owners wanted, from dinky 160's all the way up to a mighty 400hp. (very rare)  Our Crown Fire Coach had the 300 hp 905 inch (?)Hall Scott  model with two (2) big carbs.

The tranny was whatever the owner wanted.  You probably have either a 5-speed granny Spicer or perhaps a straight 5 speed.  My 1974 Crown 10-wheeler (VIN 37317) had the RTO 910 10 speed Roadranger.

If the Crown is 100% stock, then it might (might) have some collectability.  But then again, maybe not.  You have an old coach that will require $lots$ of TLC to update the running gear to something newer.

Try a Goggle search on Crown Super Coaches.   Quite a few Crown forums out there that can answer your specific questions.  I sold my Crown because I couldn't afford to do the required maintenance.  Good luck.  HB of CJ (old coot)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »

Great coach.  Very rare to see a recliner Crown with horizontal sliding windows.  The curved windshields with the dash setup reminds me of the school bus in the 70's (also a Hall-Scott).  The Hall-Scott could out accelerate any of the 220 Cummins or 210hp Detroit Diesel 6-71 buses.  Hence the Hall-Scott engine could get to the gas pump much faster.  With all the older Crowns being retired from California because of emissions, it should be relatively easy to swap out the Hall-Scott for a 6-71-unless of course you want to try to keep the Hall-Scott running.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »

Let Me Be More Clear....... Im Not Looking At Making A Road Crusier Out Of Her. Im Only Trying To Save The Bus From Being Recycled. I Feel It Is In Way To Good Of Condition To Part Out And Squash.......

The HALL SCOTT Is Cool And Will Stay Right Where It Is. I Will Start Her Up From Time To Time And BLOW 10 Feet Flames For All Of My Friends To Enjoy.

Collectible ??  HELL YES....The Bus Is Collectible. I Bought It RIGHT..LOL !!!

Anyway.....Im Just Looking For Some History. So Far I Know That....2 Crowns Were Sold NEW In 1954 To Northern Pacific Railroad.( This Bus Being One) Then A Basketball Bus (The Wolves) And Then A Church Bus. (Registration & Ins. From 1996) Inside Bus....AMEN.

Who Is... The BIG Crown Coach Guru Out There Huh?? Or Is There A Job Opening I Have To Apply For ??  LOL !! LOL !!!.

I Was Hoping There Were Some Records Out There On Crown Vin Numbers.

Thanks For All Of The Interest So Far.......

MrBreeze
JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »

What number is this one?  Tongue Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »

She looks good John! I really like the lines and the stainless. Good to hear that someone is willing to save such a relic and a piece of history!  Cool

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »

John,

Good looking Crown  Grin. I have always liked the look of these. There is one that a guy has for sale. He has done allot of work to it and wants around 60K for it. To much for me but a very cool looking Crown.

Anyone know which one I am talking about? I have come across it on a bus web site several times but can't remember where  Huh

Bryan
crown

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »

hi you need to go to the crown coach junkies site at yahoo groups they have the imfo you want  i have a 57 crown i am
 rebuilding when i asked about my serial # right away i got all the imfo there is a guy named pattrick young he has a yard
 full of crown & gilly parts he his selling stuff cheep right now he said he will close down this year i think he has hail scott
 parts there is also a guy getting a book on crowns reday to go to print  hope this helps i like the look of the old crowns
  john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »

My first bus was a 53 Crown (LA school bus) with Hall Scott 504 and a 4 speed plus granny gear. That engine had more get up in it than most diesels I ever drove, but, as you have said, it beat them all to the pumps.

Keep this one alive. It will be worth it in the long run. She looks straight, and you will enjoy showing it off.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »

Bryan,

That extensively modified Crown is located down the street from me here in Eugene, Orygun.  He still has $60K in the window and it has been there for a year.  It has really nice and unusual things done to it and there is a flaw.  The flaw, as I see it is that he has installed a mid coach door and done that nicely but the double door has been left in the front and seems to be blocked by the interior structure.  Weird.  Every bit an eye catcher and with the rep of Crowns I suspect it "flies" down the road on those 24.5 inch tires.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 04:05:28 AM »

Thanks for the interest. These old buses are just to cool in my book.

I have join the crownjunkies twice now......I never get access ?? But, I will do some more digging......... To bad the site is Yahoo Sad Sad  Dont like Yahoo Angry

If this Crown had the original seats still onboard.....I would consider restoring this crown Wink Hey,,, Its all there !! NO RUST and everything looks to be in really good shape. Smiley maybe...another will cross my path ?

If i was going to start over with paying the Big Bux on a conversion. I think what i would do now is shoot for an Oldie. Just how im feeling Right Now !!. I Love my Eagles....Dont get me wrong.......Theres just something Romantic Feeling about vintage tin....10-4

I had a 1947 Flixible Clipper. It was givin to me a couple of years ago... I figured it was safe for a year or two where it had sat for 20 years plus. WRONG !!!. She was crushed last year..(Right Out From Under Me)...First thing on my mind when i woke up this morning !!! That poor flex Angry Angry Angry Sad Embarrassed Cry Cry  Really bugs the HELL out of me !!!
SO........No More CRUSHED Buses..!!! Please Please..Lets Save Them All !!

As i sit here and cry..........

MrBreeze
John

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:09:31 AM »

JohnEd,

Do you know the name of where the Crown is?

Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: