Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 05:40:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deco Remy MT 39 starters  (Read 4190 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:35 AM »

For you guys using the MT39 starters you need to buy a spare that starter is being replaced by the MT 44 at the end of this year the MT 44 is a serviceable starter, just a little info for you guys so you don't get caught in a bind on the road and have to pay the price of a new MT 44   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »

So is that MT44 the same frame as the MT39 or is it a big heavy bugger like the 42?

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »

Just looking at the pictures Bob it is going to be a little heavier that the 39 because it has a cast iron rotating nose piece I' ll check and see what the weight is going to be on it.
 Bob 58 lbs on the MT 42,33 lbs on the MT 44 and 31 lbs on the MT 39 can you handle a extra 2 lbs Lol 

good luck
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:59:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »

Looks like the MT44 will be just a bit heavier then the MT39.  It's interesting to see that Remy has gone back to a full rotatable nose cone-compared to the nose coneless MT39.  I don't think it will be the beasty like the MT42 like many of us have on our reverse rotation V drive engines. I know at Freightliner, we see lots of replacements of the MT39's, compared to longer life MT42 or even the brutish MT50.  This is why Remy is bringing out the MT44-since their first generation of geared starters were not that great.  Hopefully the MT44 will be all that.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »

Have either of you guys got a link to information about this new starter?  I looked on the Delco Remy website and couldn't see anything.  But it wouldn't be the first time I looked for something and couldn't find it right in front of my nose.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »

Bob, I just brought up a video about it at www.delcoremy.com/ but I got my info from a Delco letter that was sent to me. 

good luck

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:55:27 AM »

Thanks Clifford.  PDF at that link says 33.0 lbs for the 44 c/w 30.8# for the 39 (and about 58# for the 42 or 78# for the 50).  Since I'm reasonably sure my arm can handle the 2 extra pounds I guess its decision time as to whether I need a spare 39 now or whether I should wait & p/u a 44 this fall.  I'm not wild about being a guinea pig for a new unit so I'm leaning toward picking up a 39 and waiting a while. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »

Am I right in thinking that the point is to have a relatively cheap MT 39 backup rather than have to buy a new MT 44 since there will not be many used or rebuilts around for a while?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »

That's what I would do Lin the MT 39 are 250.00 new for 24V and 240.00 for 12V the list price on a 44MT is going to be 699.00 and you can probably buy for 400.00 after they been on the market for a few months 

good luck

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

Well I can't speak for anybody else but my point is to have a reliable starter.  There's only a couple of common failures that will shut a diesel down completely on the road and a bad starter is right at the top of the list.  I've had really good luck with my MT39 - I put a new solenoid on it this summer but otherwise it has been dead reliable.  If the 44 is a further improvement over the 39 then I'm all over that plan but over the years I have always tried to avoid being at the bleeding edge of technology so I'm thinking that maybe its better to let Delco get a few years of real world service in with the 44 before I buy one.  When we had trucks on the road we kept spare starters and spare alternators as well as the usual fluids, filters and tires.  Most of the time that was enough to get them back on the road.  I don't mind losing an alternator because I could limp along with the crossover to the house bank but a dead starter means no go.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »

Ok. I'm playing stupid here basically because I am but I was going to go to one of those starters and it looks like now is the time. Are they basically the same or do they vary from motor to motor (Cummins, Cat etc.)? I know I need the 24 volt for my MCI and my 8v71 is a standard rotation. I guess the parts guy should know. Just wondering.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:05 PM »

Speaking of which; I'm thinking I had better find a solenoid.  I'm thinking along the same lines as Bob (of the north). The starter is one of the few things that will leave the DD dead in the water.  Lately, I'm having to make several attempts to engage the solenoid when cranking my 8V71.  Where is the best place to pick up a solenoid?  I'm thinking Luke.  Suggestions?  I'm planning an extended trip next month and I'll feel more confident having the solenoid in my spare parts box.
Thanks,
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:21:58 PM »

I expect Luke would have them & know what he was talking about but if he's not close to you then the freight may kill the deal.  All I did was look in the yellow pages for a place that fixed starters & alternators.  I found one with a simple sounding ad and drove around to it.  It looked like the kind of place where I could walk into the shop which is always my preference.  Solenoids are a pretty high volume item so I expect you can find a local source for them if you look around.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »

Thanks, Bob.  I don't have a parts manual, but if someone can chime in with a part #, I'll check local sources.  Mine is an '82 MC9 with an 8V71.  Can someone help me with a part #?  Luvrbus, I hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread, I hope this is still pertinent.   

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »

Dennis you need the starter number there are 2 different solenoid's for 42 starter and that puppy is heavy you will need a floor jack if you are as weak as Bob LOL and me. 
That is a common solenoid Napa will have one or can get you one overnight 40 bucks for the last one I bought

good luck
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:45:16 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: