Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:00:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressure Pro  (Read 2803 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 06:23:16 AM »

Looks like two pieces of plastic that are glued together or sonic welded. Since they are installed on the valve stem, they have to be waterproof. I was told when you send them back for battery replacement, they simply send you a new one and destroy the old one.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:48 AM »

The cost of a replacement sensor is very cheap compared to the cost of a tire and the possible damage to the bus or toad.  A guy that i met had $6000 damage done to his 4x4 pickup from a blown front tire that he was not aware of........ you can buy a lot of sensors for that kind of money. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 08:24:48 AM »

I communicated with the tech guy at Pressure Pro.   He said that when they had a replaceable battery, that they had problems. 

I agree with others, the cost of a set of sensors may be smaller than potential vehicle damage.  Neither, am I posting, to knock the quality of the Pressure Pro.  However, that expense to replace the sensor, should not be necessary every 3-5-or ? years.

I challenged Pressure Pro that they should be capable of designing a product that is waterproof.   As an example, consider the triple seal that is used on some automotive engine sensors where reliability and durability must be extremely high (except maybe at Toyota, OOPS - that just slipped-out).   Also, there are watches that have seals that resist pressure underwater.

Competitors have replaceable batteries.   If Pressure Pro is a leader in this industry, should you not expect them to have the best technology?

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »

All new vehicles are required to have tire pressure monitoring.  I'll bet the costs for all these systems will come down quite a bit in the near future.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »

Ruthi, my apologies about not telling you about the battery save method.  I almost always tell my customers about removing the sensors.  I used to tell them to put them in a labeled egg carton (the sensors have to go back on the same tire location).  Then I always wondered if they were as klutzy as me and would kick the cartons.  I now tell folks to used labeled baggies.

Ed and I talked a bit about his response before he posted his response.  I am really on the fence about sensors with replacement batteries.  We use magnesium chloride on the roads in CO and that stuff is terrible.  Gets everywhere and is not very friendly.  If it got into the sensor, I would bet it would die in a matter of days.

Ed mentioned good seal technology that is available.  I know he is correct, but when it comes to watches, I have never had one seal properly after the battery was replaced even by a watch repair person.

As was mentioned, the batteries in PP seem to last a long time. Mine are almost 6 years old and have been on almost all of the time.

Jim

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:20:52 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »

Pressure Pro could add a low battery warning  and a sleep mode if not in motion. That would extend battery life.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »

They need to find a way to use the rotation of the wheels to generate the electricity to operate the PP - Something like the battery free flashlights that you shake to generate power - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »

Hey Rusty, the fridge is keeping the bus warm,  ;Dj, no lights.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »

All new vehicles are required to have tire pressure monitoring.  I'll bet the costs for all these systems will come down quite a bit in the near future.

FWIW, we were checking the tire pressures on a customer's newer GM vehicle with tire pressure monitoring system the other day and the tire pressure guage broke off the end of the valve stem/monitor thingy and a replacement at the GM dealer was about $47 wholesale.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »

Jim, no problem. It is a good saftey feature. As I said, we use the bus too much to be taking them on and off anyway, so we will see............

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 08:07:10 AM »

Consider the price of electronics now.

In a cylinder 1" diameter, 1" high, how much electronics can you install?

Replacement for a failed battery - $30 each?   Appears quite high.

Ed
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »

I did not read the entire thread so if this info has already been posted it is still applicable.

My experience with mine is:

When I am going to store the coach for a while, I remove all the sensors to avoid theft. Kids like to unscrew them. I don't mark them.

They work anywhere on the vehicle and trailer. They simply have to be reprogrammed. This has worked for me since Pressure Pro began manufacturing the system. I bought one at a tester price and have used it ever since.

I believe unscrewing them or removing them inactivates the battery until pressure is again realized when they are reinstalled. I've never had a battery go bad yet.

Phil and everyone else at Pressure Pro have always bent over backwards to assist me with any questions.

The below statement is lifted verbatim from their web site. Read everything you need to know at the below URL.

"IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO IDENTIFY EACH SENSOR TO A LOCATION.
delete each Sensor from the Monitor. When reinstalling Sensors, they must be
reprogrammed. To Delete a Sensor, see “Deleting a Location” in the “Monitor
Button Functions” section."

http://www.advantagepressurepro.com/images/InstallGuide_16-34.pdf
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:43:31 AM by akroyaleagle » Logged

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »

Consider the price of electronics now.
In a cylinder 1" diameter, 1" high, how much electronics can you install?
Replacement for a failed battery - $30 each?   Appears quite high.
Ed

Ed,
   My understanding is that due to the way they are made, they do not replace a battery, but replace the sensor with a new one and throw away the old one.  I was told by a distrubutor that the only reason for sending in the old one was to prevent people from buying the sensors for $30 replacement price instead of paying the $50 new system price.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: