Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 01:24:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad news for basement A/C industry  (Read 5483 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: March 22, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »

Hi Folks,

Last year I reported about Dometic's basement A/C units were no longer being produced because of

the big loss of tooling Dometic suffered in the April 09' fire at the Mexican plant. This still stands!

Even worse.... Coleman has just announced it too has stopped production of their 2 ton plus line of

basement A/C and Heat Pumps.. Their main consumer of these units was Alfa See Ya Motorhomes and

since their demise, the sales has gone to record lows. Coleman also faced a redesign of the basement

units because of the law to stop producing R-22 equipment. So, instead of dropping more money into

them for a redesign, they oped to eliminate them alltogether..

Maybe I should start to build my own line?.. Lol

Some parts will still be available for a limited time from both company's.

Have a great day!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

" Maybe I should start to build my own line?.. Lol "...Why not?...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »

hi nick i see your back i was waiting for you to get back to me on how to use a termost & chill grills
 thanks john  [ crown ] all serial # are in old post

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »

At the price of Cruisair units, maybe you could.  I mean, aren't basement units just assembled off the shelf components with some custom sheet metal.  It seems to me that someone with access to AC components and knowledge might be able to build custom units for the bus community.  I think you might be able to do it on a small scale, sell it for less and still make a reasonable profit.

Why not price out the parts and see what it would take?

Len 

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »

I agree with Len.  Sounds like a good idea.  Given the nature and size of the bus nut world, perhaps you could avoid the expense of a large inventory and just build to order.  Sure it would be longer lead times, but it takes a while to build a bus conversion anyway.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:01:01 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »

Hey Nick, so why don't you just do it. Like Mike said, built them on a one off as the orders come in. You might be able to buy one of those Prevos you been driving! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:49:43 PM »

Ha Ha, you guy's are funny... but you are right!

I could easily build them since I have 2 Dometic basement HP's in my bus and a spare on the shop.

Last year I layed out all the materials and components with that same thought. Real simple to construct..

The spare in my shop was almost sold when an RV dealer in Alabama made me an offer 3 times my cost

to sell it to him... NOT. His secretary hounded us for 2 months for it! I just thought that if one of my units

were to fail, I wouldn't have the time to build myself another from scratch.

Hay Crown, sorry about helping you. I have had my hands full and didn't see your post. Please send

me a PM and I will address your issues.

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »

Nick, I agree with all your supporters who, I am sure, will agree that if there was a custom, one of, manufacturer for basement A/C units, we could be more creative with our interior designs; finding places to put the components where existing manufacturers are not able to be flexible enough.

I, for one, would definitely be a customer, as I am still trying to cool this bus of mine without giving up the other add-ons that have been requested to make this a fully handicap accessable coach.

So go for it, and let us be your travelling agents. A done-well job is your greatest spokesperson.

Keith
PCC

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:44:14 AM »

Nick and Rose should be home soon.. would give him a sheet metal project...I don't like the noise of roof top air...this is a needed project;product..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:50:37 AM »

So i guess the new, never used one I have in storage MAY be worth something? Actually decided to not use it a while back and forgot I had it until this post. Maybe I should list it in the spare tire area.
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »

There will always be some type self contained unit in the market for you guys to use in the marine and mobile home world you could see this one coming glad I have my split Crusiair units and with Carrier leaving the roof top business who know where the price of roof tops will go 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:22 AM »

Nick- maybe you could do what I'm going to do-modify the Penguin roof top air to run as a basement air.  Since it is still being made, and now has been switched to the new freon, it will be around for awhile.  About the only modification I see you have to make is to duct the unit.  Meaning-the condenser fan is squirrel cage-you have to create a duct to take the hot air outside the bus like a 6" flex hose.  Then just create an adapter on the return and supply to also facilitate a duct.  I'm going to build a platform (I have 24" height in my basement) to make enough room for the lower return and supply ducts.  And since they are already available as a remote thermostat-that's not a problem.  Let me know if you'd be thinking on these lines since I need two for my truck conversion and would buy them from you if they'd be basement ready.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »

So i guess the new, never used one I have in storage MAY be worth something? Actually decided to not use it a while back and forgot I had it until this post. Maybe I should list it in the spare tire area.
JimH

Jim, if it's a Heat Pump, I have a buyer waiting in line..
Nick-

Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »

So this raises the question of planning in the long term. Should we plan on roof air for our buses to be safe or gamble and hope on the future of basement air?
I have one basement unit and I've been planning duct work for that and was planning on adding another basement unit as well though I guess I could also duct roof air into my ceiling ducting and do both.

Personally I strongly prefer basement air but maybe this will be the deciding factor.  Huh

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »

Nick
I do not remember and am traveling now. Home mid April and I will check and let you know.
jimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: