Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 01:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMC Rear Engine Mud Flap  (Read 1100 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

Where have you purchased or what has anyone made the full width mud flap out of on the rear of GMC's?

I am talking about the one that runs from wheel well to wheel well across the coach.

I am really looking for interesting alternatives to just buying one, what did you make yours out of?.....

Maybe you found something that could be cut down that was a deal Wink (also known a cheap)

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:50:03 PM »

Cliff, you might just give some thought to buying an old piece of conveyor belt from one of the quarries near you and making your own brackets to install it. Lord knows...the bus doesn't care! Wink

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:03:10 PM »

Cliff, you might just give some thought to buying an old piece of conveyor belt from one of the quarries near you and making your own brackets to install it. Lord knows...the bus doesn't care! Wink
Bob

Bob the quarries around here will fill the back or yer pick-up truck with it just for asking about it and hualing it off for them!!! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 06:44:13 PM »

Cliff, the big rig stores (or the nearest full-service truck stop) sell trailer mudflaps for very cheap... big, thick rubber, some even say silly things on them. But you could buy one and cut it into strips the size you need. If you need hardware to hang it, buy some plumbers tape (actually galv. metal with lots of holes in it) from Lowes or HD, and some stainless nuts, bolts, and lockwashers. Drill... cinch it down... you're done.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »

Cliff -

FYI, the mudflap (actually called a "splash apron" by GMC) in the parts book supplement is listed as three pieces:

Outer (2) = 3/16" thick x 9" high x 25-1/4" long

Center = 3/16" x 9" x 34"

It is basically the same material as an 18 wheeler's mudflaps, but I don't see why a stiff conveyor belt wouldn't work, as long as it was as least as thick (3/16") as OEM.

HTH. . .

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »

The "flap" that I put on my MC5 used a 1 1/2"X1 1/2" thin guage angle iron. Put one side to the bus and the flap to the other. simple install with self tapper's. I pre-drilled the bus side and used silicone at each hole between the angle and the bus.

Don
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 11:10:20 PM »

My vote is for the conveyor belt, its what I use, and it works great. Tuff and free!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:43:33 PM »

Big transit here in Toronto uses the ribbed flooring material on their GM 5307's. Makes good mudflaps too.

If you still have that tough stuff lying around from the pre-conversion tear out, cut it to whatever depth you want.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: