Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 11:17:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent Trips  (Read 1227 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2006, 06:47:12 PM »

I just today completed the second 1300 mi round trip in three weeks and made a few observations;

13500 BTUs will not cool a 4104 in 90+ temp/humidity and full sunshine! A little rain works wonders.

My newly working radiator shutters keep the temp a steady 182-188 degrees.

I computed my fuel mileage for 590 miles in the flat country of southern MS and LA at a pretty steady 60 mph and got 11.8 mpg!

I didn't believe this but it took exactly 50 gal for this leg of the trip. I have to eat crow because I recently told another busnut in FL it was not possible. The only thing I can come up with is that the station didn't appear to be exactly level and this is the first time my engine has operated up to the correct temp in the year I have owned it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:28:30 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention, I only saw one other bus conversion on these two trips of 2600 miles!!

It had a Buffalo type front with a cap and was at a rest stop a few miles South of Memphis.  It had tandem rears so I suppose it was an MCI-I'm not too good at identifying MCIs and I was passing by at 60 mph.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
mak

Southern California location

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 08:21:48 PM »

The bus you saw might have been a GMC PD 4905,(49 passengers, 40 foot)  most of the GMC 40 footers had the rear axle and tags. The 4107 and 4108 (41 passengers, 35 footers) had the single rear axle. However, they did make a few 40 footers with no tag axle, and a few with a door covering the tag axle so it appeared to only have the one rear axle. Wondering who cares, just though I'd let you know. Glad your using the bus and 11.8 MPG is nice, very nice!
MAK

I may have started it, but you'll have to finish it!
Located in So CA (Orange County)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 09:50:38 PM »

I assumed it wasn't a 4905 because it had open wheel wells for the tag but I'm not up to speed on the 40 footers. I can't think of a GMC with that type of rear setup and I know it wasn't a Scenicruiser because they are so different looking.

I'm still not convinced that the 11.8 is real, I'll check it again next trip but I know that increasing the operating temp from 150 to 180+ had to help.

Whatever it was it was a beauty.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:06:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the Buffs that did have a tag axle were retractable and did not have a wheel well for the tag. Might have been an Eagle you saw.

You'll get better at spotting the various busses and deciphering their make. Wasn't it MAK that published a "bus chart" poster of the various makes? Couldn't find it on his site just now. It's sorta like one of those airplane silohette charts from WWII. Pretty handy.

Hey, here's to more 11+ mpg fill-ups!  My '06 got 10.4 one time, and I was very happy indeed. The new '08 with the slushbox will likely never even see 8.5mpg. *sniff*

Seeing bus conversions out on the open road is rare indeed. Sad, really. Even on a 3000 mile trip, I'm lucky if I spot a couple. Plenty of Marathon Prevo$ts and the like, but very few actual hand-built conversions. I did spot an Eagle conversion on a car trip up to the mountains last week. I pulled over and ingratiated myself to the driver. He let me look inside, and it was a nice 12-bunk entertainer carrying some funk/ jazz fusion group. Certain band memers must have thought I was a DEA guy or something, because they didn't let me get too far towards the back. It smelled um... grasslike in there.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:43:59 PM »

Brian,

I'm really kind of surprised that I see so few bus conversions on my trips. We made a 6300 mi trip to AZ, CA, WA, ID, UT, WY, NE, KS, MO and AR and I don't think we saw more than four.

After reading all these posts on this board and a couple of others I really expected to see more buses on the road. I think I see more skoolies than coaches.

You're right, I see more Prevosts than older conversions. I don't even consider them conversions because they are obviously custom jobs by professionals that cost more than I can even imagine.

I tried to talk to one guy in WA who had an MC9 but he kind ol looked down on my little 4104 and showed no interest in talking. That was ok with me, this 35 footer is all the bus I need for our travels.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »

It was an Eagle 10 or 15!!

After looking through my Trailways Bus book I found that is the late model Eagle, looks exactly like what I saw. A beauty for sure.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: