Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 09:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Point of View. A personal Rant.  (Read 3676 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 02:09:58 AM »

Regarding the problem of guests leaving their site in an untidy state - would it not be sensible to have a similar policy to that used by other holiday rental businesses (ie. car hire, holiday cottages, boats, RVs etc)? Specifically I mean either taking a cash deposit when the booking is made, or holding credit card details, which can be used to cover any damage or extra cleaning that might be required. I rent out a holiday cottage and the agent that handles the bookings doesn't return the deposit until a week after the guest has left, just in case some problem is discovered after the guest has gone home. I'm sure that the full deposit is returned in the vast majority of cases, but the fact that it may not be motivates the guest to behave properly.

Jeremy

PS. I really don't have much of an idea what it costs to stay in a campground in the UK so I can't compare the $27 figure - it occurs to me though that a full-timer living in a bus in a campground has probably got a more expensive lifestyle than living in a modest house. If it's not to save money, why on earth do people do it?

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 05:33:54 AM »

I really don't have much of an idea what it costs to stay in a campground in the UK so I can't compare the $27 figure - it occurs to me though that a full-timer living in a bus in a campground has probably got a more expensive lifestyle than living in a modest house. If it's not to save money, why on earth do people do it?

Jeremy,
   Most campgrounds over here give a reduced rate if you stay for 1 month. Some also have different rates for 1 week, 3 months, yearly, etc.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »

I've only stayed in a handful of "RV camp grounds", the full hookup type.  At two of them (both KOA for whatever reason) the drill was leave your trash in plastic bags at the pedestal or at the road side by your spot when you leave.  I think because the overnight charge was not inconsiderable ($45) and because the trash bins were well hidden.  So there is some precedent at least to the "leave your trash at the site" approach.  Other places, and state parks, the drill was carry the trash to the bin on your way out, so that's what we do.  We leave a site as nice and neat as it was when we got there.

I have a car on a dolly, I do ask for a pull through if I am just stopping for overnight, if I am stopping for more than a day I ask for a back-in, I usually get a little more privacy that way.  

I am from Ontario, and I hate generalizations.   I don't go around talking about what Texans do, or the odd things that people from the Carolina's do.  I appreciate it when people don't denigrate me on the basis of where I am from.

What a lousy thread to read first thing in the morning.  Way to set the tone for the day.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 05:58:59 AM »

I like it when the area I am from is degenerated - it lowers the expectations of others to the point I have a chance to make a good impression.  Roll Eyes  Grin  Grin

Campground etiquette is something many need to learn. lots of fodder to bitch & moan about.
like:
Your barking dogs may not bother you when the owners leave for the day, but they annoy the hell out of me when I have to hear them the whole time.
Loud stereos/ TVs - it's a campground, NOT a drive-in.

Sometimes hearing the rants of others helps us improve our actions - or see the benefit of the extra effort we put forth.

It has been said "the cheapest part of an Airstream is the owner". That can be said for many other groups too.

I don't know what it is, but some people think that if they had to pay to be there, they have a right to be waited on hand & foot. Regardless of how the cost relates to services.

Welcome to the "me first" generation . . . . Tongue

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 06:53:34 AM »

Removed

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:48:30 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Joebus

1978 MCI Mc8

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »

I am very surprised that Ontario was included in your "nieghbours from the north" That is a first for me, and I hope not a trend. I'm from Ontario, and do our best to be "good campers"

Joe Beleskey ,Stroud Ont. 50 Miles north of Toronto
1977 MC8, 8V71T, Auto
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »

Dallas, regarding the slide outs. When I get to Terlingua each year for my Vacation, I will work on two or three slide outs that week. Then Saturday night, Sunday departure day, three to four more to get retracted. I've seen enough on sticks and staples to not want one. Properly engineered, with heavy enough tracks and fasteners, they might work.
  Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:48:02 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »

Dallas.... Does the word French come to mind?  Wink Actually some of my best friends are French and although their family has been here for generations they still remain true to the stereotype!!!! I smiled when I first read your post and saw the word Quebec! Oui, oui!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:48:24 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »

I'm a bit bored, sitting here "working", also know as waiting around a lot, so I looked up some demographic data on populations in Canada, vis-a-vis Dallas' complaint about people from Ontario and Quebec.  I was actually surprised with what I found, although I probably shouldn't have been.

People from Ontario and Quebec at 21.3 million make up just under 2/3's of Canada's total population.  So you are far more likely to meet someone from Ontario or Quebec than from any other province or territory.

The City of Toronto, in central Ontario, along with it's suburbs (Greater Toronto Area, or GTA) alone at 5.5 million souls is larger than the third largest province, which is British Columbia at 4.5 million.

My current home town, Hamilton, at around 690,000, is larger than two provinces and three territories.  Heck, it's larger than the bottom province and the three territories combined...

so, yeah, I guess if you were going to meet people from Canada who can afford to come to Texas in an RV, odds are pretty great that they will be from Ontario or Quebec.  On behalf of those of us that don't  litter, I apologize for the messiness of those who graced your campground.  Apologizing for our Province-mates is a very Canadian thing to do, we like to take responsibility for things totally beyond our control.  Drives some people nuts... Grin

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: