Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 01:57:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AutoShift Problems now general discussion on AutoShift and Clutch Systems  (Read 12866 times)
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 05:26:10 AM »

Ken

I am begining to think that the green swamp water is the reason i keep breaking heads on my 6v92.

Thinking about moving to clear spring water. Every one knows that spring water does not freeze.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2010, 05:55:15 AM »

Hmmm,  Might try swamp water, ain't never seen it froze?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »

All this time and effort to try to make the Autoshift/Ultrashift transmissions work properly.  Our shop manager despises any of the Eaton Fuller Autoshift/Ultrashift transmissions.  And considering how much time and effort is being used to try to make these transmissions work-wouldn't it just be easier to install an Allison World transmission and be done with it?  There's a really good reason why practically all transit buses, trash trucks, on road buses, military trucks, many military tanks, etc use Allison transmissions.  Because they are reliable, you can't beat the performance and acceleration from them, and they get consistantly the same fuel mileage.  The ONLY advantage to the Autoshift/Utlrashift is the possiblity of getting better fuel mileage, and better low speed control because of the extra 4 lower gears just to get the vehicle moving-of which the Allison takes care of that with the torque converter.  Any fuel mileage advantage you have with the Eaton Fuller Autoshift/Ultrashift will be out the door when (not if) the transmission breaks down and you have to call a wrecker to have it analyzed and fixed.  I'll always put my choice on the Allison automatics.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »

When choosing which transmission to put in recently, the Autoshift was not an option since I have a mechanical setup.  We therefore went with an Allison over a manual.  I had thought that the Autoshift would have been good if it would work.  However, this thread has been very informative.  I did not know that they were so prone to problems.  There still may be advantages to it for an 80,000# loaded semi, but it would appear that putting one in a bus conversion is like trying to reinvent the wheel and coming up with a not quite round product.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »

The autoshift is just like anything else mechanical ... it can fail.  However, mine has almost 600,000 miles on it and works flawlessly in below zero weather and 100+ weather.  It has been a good transmission for me.  YMMV
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »

I decided on the Ultrashift for several reasons. It's the only thing that will fit without a complete redesign of the tag axle. I know a 740 might fit but you would kind of defeat some of the reasons for installing the Series 60 in the first place. (lower RPMs, higher fuel mileage, I hope) If I did redesign the tag axle then I would have to change the diff ratio to work with the overdrive ratio of the B500, the third thing is that the B500 is not know for it's longevity in the commercial coach side of the business. I figured any used B500 that I could find and afford would be from a seated coach and would be subject to fail on a day that I did not have $10,000 for the rebuild. Which would be any day ending in Y.

Installing a starter over ride is good ideal, thanks!!

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »

Ken- one of the main reasons that the Allison B500 is short lived in a bus is because of the shallow oil pan for ground clearance.  With the shallow oil pan, the oil level should be checked daily, since just a couple of quarts down can make a difference in performanc.  Along with that, the transmission oil change intervals are considerably shorter than trucks, that can use a deep pan with alot more spare oil.  With most of us, checking oil daily is just a routine-not an option.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »

Tom, what about an additional reservoir? Or a larger air to oil cooler to increase fluid capacity?

An old friend of mine has been an Allison Sales rep for a number of years now and is counting the days to retirement...I asked about the B500 and it's problems and he seemed to think that the problems are behind them....whadda ya think?
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »

I talked with a trucking company owner friend .He runs 46 trucks and started several years ago experimenting with the auto shift (Eaton) the results...Made his poor drivers better,increased fuel milage 30 %and cut down on maintenance...that helped make my decision.yes any system can fail:just ask BK..Fuel increase would help me keep on bussing when fuel goes Thur outer space..Besides I had no drive train to start with so tried to select best that I could afford...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2010, 06:12:53 AM »

I think a lot of guys are choosing the Autoshift because they are less expensive than a B500 or other World transmission and they can be found already mated to an engine and mostly ready to go.

Allison may have improved the B500, but most busnuts aren't going to be buying a new one.  A lot of B500s don't seem to make it past 300,000 to 400,000 miles it seems.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: