Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:52:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T fuses and inverters  (Read 1233 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:54:11 PM »

I am getting ready to set the xantrex inverter in place and the directions discuss placing a 300 amp t fuse inline. Can folks provide me with some insight as to vendors, quality and so forth. I see alot of various manufactures and do not want to pick up something cheap that blows every twenty minutes.

Thanks in advance. Grin

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »

Grant,  I bought mine at backwoods solar-here's their link-siper nice folks to deal with and a  great price, too-

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpages2/wiring2.htm#DC%20RATED%20FUSES

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »

I think i bought mine here

http://store.wmjmarine.com/c19001.html

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
belfert

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:42:19 PM »

Any reason not to use a DC breaker?  A friend of mine is going to give me a DC breaker big enough for my inverter.

Brian Elfert
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »

The only reason to not use a breaker is if something goes wrong with your inverter and it's going to let the smoke out, a fuse is generally much faster than a breaker, and will blow quickly enough to do a lot of damage limitation where a breaker would probably let it all rip before tripping.  But since that's a rare occasion, I'd think a breaker would be just fine.
Cheers

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 06:35:51 AM »

It is almost impossible to protect solid state electronics with a fuse or circuit breaker.  Low power devices  either explpde (leaving an open circuit and the fuse intact) or short out and blow the fuse. In high power devices, the fuse will keep the power cables from melting when a device shorts out. Electronic components will invariably fail before the fuse!

Very fast, high current fuses ($$$) are available and used on DC motor drives which employ a soft start feature so that current is ramped up slowly. On an inverter, they would blow every time the A/C compressor tried to start.

The short story is to do every thing possible to elominate the possiblity of a short circuit on your inverter output. This also applies to the battery cables when the inverter is in charger mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: