Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 03:02:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NTSB Highway Accident Report Sherman Tx  (Read 1387 times)
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2009/HAR0902.pdf

Interesting read.   I think that every bus owner has something to gain by reading these reports.

Unfortunately it was a "run" of events that proved "fatal"

The accident occured from a retreaded Goodyear that was driven in at low air pressure.    However, the retread did NOT contribute to the accident and stayed intact.   

Overall it's nice to see the details and all the different angle that are covered.   

Tire pressure monitors would have prevented this accident..
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:56 PM »

I find it interesting that regular passenger vehicles require TPMS by law, but no such law exists for buses and large trucks.

MCI is now installing TPMS on all of their new buses.  These reports about tire issues are pushing me towards installing one on my bus.

I really need to proofread my postings better before I hit the Save button.  I fixed a word that was not at all the word I had intended to use.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:38:30 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »

Interesting review.  While I didn't study it in detail, there is evidence that the driver braked hard after the tire failure, yet that is never mentioned as a contributing factor in the accident.  It seems to me (not a trained commercial driver) that that was the most significant contributing factor. 

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »

Len, when you have a chance read the conclusions..   The NTSB mocked up the scene and tried various "drivers"  (they had to be Pro drivers).   They could not change the outcome>> The drivers reactions and performance at the moment of tire failure to impact was not at fault.   The front right steer tire jumped up on the curb and "launched" up onto the guard rail and then over the rail.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »

To sum up my opinion :the company had serious problems and was fly by nite at best..scary that we meet the like on the road; the sad part is the people that lost their lives shouldn't been with that carrier in the first place....how would they know the company's past? I have blown a right front tire at 70 mph and drove to side with no problem..Last march in Macon Ga..sure tightens your.....up.Very sad outcome for them...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »

I can't find that section.  What calls out to me is that the driver made a 90 psi brake application 123 feet before contact with the bridge.  I find it hard to believe that had no affect on the outcome.

BTW, I am in the habit of carefully taking my hands off the wheel when traveling a straight, low traffic section of road to watch for any drift.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »

Very interesting reading. Very sad tho. They basicly say there was not really anything the driver could have done, and he reacted quickly even tho he had taken cocaine while on duty. While reading this i was thinking of this being a lawyers dream come true, recent purchase of coach, just out of MCI rehab,just passed its annual inspection from independent inspection co.,Company hiring driver without proper background check, driver on drugs and alcohol, but did you see they had no valid opperating cert. and NO INSURANCE!  It is really sad and i wonder how the retread ended up front. And the retread was not the fault it had a slow leak from a puncture. 

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »

Well, I've had right front blowouts before at speed on the innerstate in heavy traffic. I didn't slam on the brakes & it was a non event - just pull off the road & change the tire.

No warning, just BANG & the vehicle immediately pulled towards the blown tire.

I could tell the vehicle was very loose & didn't want to follow the normal input from the steering wheel, so I made gradual changes in order to maintain what little influence I had over the direction of travel. This included NOT jerking the steering wheel & being carefull to gently ease on the brakes.

I find it hard to believe that a full application of the service brakes didn't contribute to leaving the road.

The fact that there were so many other things wrong shows the owners contempt for proper procedures. . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:48:39 AM »

I had a passenger front tyre blow on my 4104, I was in the passing lane at 70 mph, The bus passenger side dropped, the bus wandered a  little. I did not touch the brake, it felt a little like being on ice the coach drifted over to the right a little, started slowing down. When I felt like I had steering control i slowly applied the brake. during this time all the vehicles around me got out of the way and I coasted over to the shoulder.

John
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:35 AM »

I had a passenger front tyre blow on my 4104, I was in the passing lane at 70 mph, The bus passenger side dropped, the bus wandered a  little. I did not touch the brake, it felt a little like being on ice the coach drifted over to the right a little, started slowing down. When I felt like I had steering control i slowly applied the brake. during this time all the vehicles around me got out of the way and I coasted over to the shoulder.

John

Wow!  John you are my hero!  Did those 8 wine spritzers help?

dg

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: