Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 12:16:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on a New (to me) 4106  (Read 857 times)
sweeney153

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »

I am going to look at a 4106 on Monday. If it looks good to me Ill have some one who knows what they are doing look at it. Are there any things I should look for right away? I was planning to spend some time going over it and I am going to get an oil sample analyzed. What else should I look out for?

Thanks

Kevin

Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »

Structurally the 4106 is susceptible to bulkhead cracking in the rear at the engine supports.  Then again-this bus may have already been reinforce plated-this is where an expert comes into play.  Also cracking around the suspension supports.  Engine, transmission, axles, brakes, suspension, tires are all things that most any truck/bus expert can look at.  I like the 4106 with its' big windows, good power to weight ratio, and just plainly a good looking bus.  But, I'm 6'3", and the low (for me) interior just doesn't work, especially since GMC's are not easy to raise the roof.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:06 AM »

Rusted out around the drivers window. Many will start to bulge under the aluminum trim. Mine has and needs attention, but it would not kill a good deal for me. Bigger problem are to be found inside. You need to open the wiring panel beside the drivers seat and see how much corrosion is there. If there has been much of a leak at the drivers side window that panel is where it goes. Even if it is bad, it can be fixed, but is a time consuming job (What part of a conversion is not?). Many panels show some corrosion at the bottom at the lower circuit breakers. Bigger problem would be if the floor is rotted under that panel. I have seen braces installed in the compartment under the driver to hold the drivers seat up. I hear this is a big job to fix. Rotted floors anywhere would be an unwelcome discovery.

I often see post about cracked bulkheads, but by now I think this has become an often repeated problem that hasn't been for 40+ years but just will not die. The first 4106's off the line had a problem and was quickly realized and fixed by GM early on. Any 4106 that had that problem was reinforced many, many years ago. I look at every 4106 I can and have never seen it. I just don't see how anyone could find one that hasn't been repaired and still on the road. I rank cracked bulkhead up there with a legend that many just keep passing on because that is what they have herd.

Post what you find (or PM if you wish) with details and any upgrades the bus might have and I will give you my opinion of it FWIW.

Nice things to have on a 4106:

Allison V730
Sheppard power steering
Spring brakes
Jake brakes
Oversize radiator
6v92

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »

TomC,

I walked away from my computer while replying and then posted after you did. My response about the bulkhead is not a response to yours. But I feel the same about the topic.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »

My knowledge is more '04 related but I agree with Barn Owl, rust/rot around under front electrical panel.  And floor rot in general.  Also you need to sight down the sides/top for distortion bending.  IMHO you can't spend too much time under a well blocked up bus checking out suspension linkages, general air lines etc...and anything else of note.  My bus needed 2 new air tanks, and I noticed other air line issues while down there.  My rule of thumb is even a thorough inspection will only uncover 50% of the issues as the other 50% aren't visible.  I like to see lot's of new components all over the place as this means I won't be replacing them soon  i.e., brake cans, slacks, tires, air lines, relays, wiring, compressors, alternators, belts, bushings you name it.  One of the advantages of older buses is that many components have already been changed....a big bonus.  In many ways I prefer an older semi rebuilt vehicle to one that is just ending it's commercial service with all systems on their last legs.  Also the older vehics don't have ECMs etc....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: