Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 07:06:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Fuel  (Read 959 times)
littlehouse

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:34:23 PM »

I have an old bus I'm getting ready to take apart. A 72 Flex with 8V71 and lots of other good parts for my 77MC8.
So I fired it up probaly for the last time when I noticed the fuel gage is over half, one of the things I want for MCI.
Thats 60 to 70 gal. of more than 4 year old fuel. Is there anything I can do or an additive I can uae to save this fuel or
is it just good fire starter after setting for 4 years. I beleive it's no.2
thanks for any info.

Ray with the littlehouse on wheels [south of Seattle]

I want to live long enough to be a nuisance to my children
and i am!!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:34:38 AM »

Ray,

There are several additives available at your local truck parts/ NAPA store.

I also had a 1/2 tank when I bought mine.

You will cycle that fuel many times an hour through your filters when running and then back to the tank throught the return.

I would make sure i had several spare primary and secondary filters on hand, at all times.

You will probably have to change them several times during your first months as the misc. junk starts circulating.

Also carry a spare gallon of diesel to fill the new filters when reinstalling.

Best of Luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:09:33 AM »

Ray, what that fuel needs is to be used asap, so instead of putting it in the bus, If you have another diesel thats seeing road duty regurally (like a pickup), I'd  run it in that (maybe mix 50/50 with fresh fuel) or find a friend who can use it (tell them the story, of course) and sell it fopr say, .50 cents less a gallon than pump price diesel......what I wouldnt do is put it in my bus if I didnt expect to run it out soon.....HTH

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:43:54 AM »

Chuck,

I am glad for your addition to this thread.

I misread and thought the fuel was in the bus Ray was keeping Roll Eyes Lips Sealed

Chuck has the best advice here.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 11:54:41 AM »

I ran 15 year-old fuel from a full tank parked in 1990 in our 4106 last year. I did have to change fileters a few times, like Cliff suggested, but otherwise got decent mileage and perfromance.

I like Chuck's advice, if you don't have a diesel vehicle to run the fuel in right now.

Diesel is soooo much more stable than gasoline. As long as the buggies haven't gotten to it. Even then, just add some biocide and they'll just die off... and plug up a few filters.

Good luck,
Biran

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: